Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD, reset display driver! OCCT psu error

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 starcorefail

starcorefail

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 01:58 AM

I am hoping, and praying someone can lead me in the correct direction.

In short, i had a 3-4 BSOD for reset display driver. It happened when i play star wars the old republic. I formatted twice, used different drivers for video cards, all drivers are installed and uninstalled correctly. I ran Memtest86, got three errors each 1 bit. Tested 4 sticks individually and no errors. I did two passes, i did the test for the 16gb again and got 2 errors this time. I ran furmark for a total of 3 hours and no BSOD. No over heating, the GPU hit 77c.
I found a program called OCCT on a forum, i was going to use for video testing. But, i noticed a PSU option. I went to take a nap and set for 3 hours. It stopped and found an error at 1 hour 26m

Please let me know what you think, i limited cash i can spend. I was about to order a r9 390x. But, if people think it is PSU, ill order one. Or if it is both GPU and PSU
Specs are:
i7 3820, Asus p9x79 pro, Asus HD 7970 dcii, Cougar 1000w PSU, 16gb of ripjaw ram, 120g SSD, 4tb HHSD, 1tb HDD, 2tb external HDD, NZXT kraken, NZXT switch 810 case w/ 9 fans at the moment, in a push pull config (Linus tech tips, show us lol)

My temps and voltages are lighting up in OCCT and Asus AI suite. It says voltages are high or low, now it said my cpu socket is 124c

Attached File  bewbs.PNG   152.78KB   0 downloads

Attached File  reddit.PNG   756.37KB   0 downloads

Attached File  OCCT.PNG   290.21KB   0 downloads

dgUjwH1.png

Edited by starcorefail, 29 July 2015 - 02:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 starcorefail

starcorefail
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 02:00 AM

I was thinking it is either PSU or Mobo. I thought the mobo was fine until someone suggested it. I thought it was GPU because of the "BSOD "reset display driver". But i can not replicate the BSOD, it was replicating good for 5-6 times. Than i started messing around. If you look at the minimums on the OCCT picks you can see the voltages are low.

Edited by starcorefail, 29 July 2015 - 02:01 AM.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:59 AM

Those are max temps - it could be that they're accurate, or it could be a problem.

When it hits max you can probably feel the heat from far away

Also, if it did hit those temps, there's a good chance that some damage was done to the hardware.

So, the question is - did it actually get that hot?

Heat can cause BSOD's, and it'll cause it in whatever component was failing due to overheating.

For the life of me I can't figure out what the error was about.
Could you purchase a PSU from a shop that accepts returns?
Then test it to see if it helps?

If it doesn't help, then just return it for your money back.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 starcorefail

starcorefail
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 09:12 AM

Those are max temps - it could be that they're accurate, or it could be a problem.

When it hits max you can probably feel the heat from far away

Also, if it did hit those temps, there's a good chance that some damage was done to the hardware.

So, the question is - did it actually get that hot?

Heat can cause BSOD's, and it'll cause it in whatever component was failing due to overheating.

For the life of me I can't figure out what the error was about.
Could you purchase a PSU from a shop that accepts returns?
Then test it to see if it helps?

If it doesn't help, then just return it for your money back.

I can. Is there a chance it could be the Mobo? Or the GPU? I am about to buy the PSU and Mobo. But id rather save the money if i could. Also, id have to downgrade to a less worthy mobo.I have posted to, two other sites. you are the only one to respond. Thank you!!

Edited by starcorefail, 29 July 2015 - 09:15 AM.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 10:52 AM

It could be anything.  Start with the PSU since you can return it if it's not the problem.

Then, depending on what happens, you can move onto the video card.

Mobo is last because it's complicated to troubleshoot

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 starcorefail

starcorefail
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:14 PM

It could be anything.  Start with the PSU since you can return it if it's not the problem.

I just put in a PSU and so far, so good. I got the corsair RM 850. I also bought a mobo and ram. If everything goes right. I am gonna return them. I might keep them, who knows. I got a good deal on the mobo.

#7 jayarelawler

jayarelawler

• Banned
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:50 PM

This is incorrect.  Heat will cause the CPU's failsafe to activate, shutting down the PC without creating a minidump file.  It doesn't blue screen when it overheats... thought that may confuse some.  Cheers.

#8 starcorefail

starcorefail
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:46 PM

The psu was not the problem. Gonna try new ram, than mobo. No bsod though, my hw monitor is being weird. Says one voltage went minimum and the other high.

#9 jayarelawler

jayarelawler

• Banned
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:54 PM

The psu was not the problem. Gonna try new ram, than mobo. No bsod though, my hw monitor is being weird. Says one voltage went minimum and the other high.

You can test the memory with MemtestX86.  Let it complete at least two passes.  Don't think that's your problem though, as BSOD happens all the time with bad RAM.  Cheers.

#10 starcorefail

starcorefail
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:05 PM

Yea I tried memtest. It errors when all ram in. But single they don't. Glad I got the mobo. Ill install last

#11 starcorefail

starcorefail
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:24 PM

Yea, I can not try until these 212 window s updates are done

#12 jayarelawler

jayarelawler

• Banned
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:31 PM

Wait you already tried memtest and it failed?  Then yes, it's either the RAM itself or the bus on the mobo.  You could test each stick one at a time in the known good bus... like when you tested it earlier with only one stick and it passed - use that same bus and test the other sticks one at a time.  If they fail, it's the ram.  If they all pass, it's the mobo.  Cheers.

#13 starcorefail

starcorefail
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 06:48 AM

Wait you already tried memtest and it failed?  Then yes, it's either the RAM itself or the bus on the mobo.  You could test each stick one at a time in the known good bus... like when you tested it earlier with only one stick and it passed - use that same bus and test the other sticks one at a time.  If they fail, it's the ram.  If they all pass, it's the mobo.  Cheers.

Well, no more bsod's. The comp is running fine, and i thought i found the problem. Look at these voltages. Particularly the minimum parts. I know my way around computers pretty good. But i am super nervous about messing w/ the mobo. More or less the CPU part.

Is this a problem? or can i wait a week before installing? Can it hurt other hardware? 

dDMKiEm.png

#14 jayarelawler

jayarelawler

• Banned
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:37 AM

Your voltages are fine.  I would definitely still test the RAM to see if it's the bus or the RAM itself...  Cheers.

#15 starcorefail

starcorefail
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:40 AM

Oh lol really? I just installed the mobo
Are voltages suppose to hit zero? In the minimum?
Are voltages suppose to hit zero? In the minimum?
Sorry for double post, on phone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users