Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Download Windows 10 Disc Image (ISO File)

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,721 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 12:55 AM

The free upgrade from Windows 7 and 8 to Windows 10 is available now on Windows update.

Get the ISO here.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

.opening-win10_english_x64.iso_012.png

library_013.png

Let the fun and games begin.

Edit to add video.

Edited by NickAu, 29 July 2015 - 01:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 01:14 AM

Shouldn't this topic be pinned?

@Nick: the link redirects you to this page: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and then you have to download the 'media creation' tool.  The instructions are on another page, here .  The instructions claim you can create the download iso and tool whether the machine you're using is 32-bit or 64-bit, idea of just creating the tool to install on another machine.  But that's not true, either.  I just downloaded both the 32-bit and 64-bit tools: the 64-bit tool wouldn't run on THIS machine, because this machine is 32-bit.  So I can NOT prepare for download on another PC, as I cannot even prepare a 64-bit tool.

So I worry that you cannot make an iso, but rather it's a download to install.

Will retry, on a 64-bit Win7 I have.  If it gets trashed, no biggie.  My next post will have results.

Edited by brainout, 29 July 2015 - 02:57 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 01:18 AM

My product key don't register at M.S. because it is an HP key, will that matter with this?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 01:29 AM

Tool and Download Results:  I can download 64-bit AND 32-bit only from a 64-bit PC.  Also, its default language is 'cestina', Czech.  Can change to English US, but since this was overlooked, I'm afraid the installer may be buggy.  For it's not saying what the MSFT webpage says.

Also, there's an option to download 10 Pro N versus 10 Pro, what's the difference?  I'm assuming 10 Pro N means for network.  You can download more than one flavor.  Will report back after doing all this, see how it goes.

The webpage instructions say you need at least 4 GB, but the downloader says 6 GB minimum.  Big difference.

EDIT:  30 minutes downloading to USB. (I'm on Comcast Xfinity, so they must have ramped up the speed during last weekend's internet outage.)  I'm downloading 'both' (whatever that means).

So now it's on USB as both 32-bit and 64-bit versions:  total size 5.57 GB.  Here, Win10 Pro, not Pro N (which again I assume is for server).

btw, Great video, Nick!  Were you using Ubuntu?

Edited by brainout, 29 July 2015 - 02:56 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,277 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 01:55 AM

brainout, do you use the DownThemAll extension for FireFox?  cat1092 has led me to this and it is great! makes downloads fast and secure, and checks the hash if you have it.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 01:55 AM

pcpunk, you might have to phone it in.  There are instructions on that page here it says it didn't find the key, for a phone number.  Or should be.  I have a phone number, but unfortunately the vimeo site where I show it, is down, vimeo glitch.  I'm not sure if I brought that phone number into BC.

I don't yet use DownThemAll, thank you for the suggestion.

EDIT: pcpunk, try these numbers.

Here's the MSFT support page: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus

DOWNLOAD FAQs (well written): https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/faq

Edited by brainout, 29 July 2015 - 04:04 AM.

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,277 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 02:35 AM

Thanks!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 03:08 AM

Also, there's an option to download 10 Pro N versus 10 Pro, what's the difference?  I'm assuming 10 Pro N means for network. 

The N versions of Windows originate back from XP when antitrust suits stuck on Microsoft. There is no Windows Media Player in this version. It's designed for somewhere in Europe. There's a K version for Korea also that has no Windows messenger also... I think there's a few other versions but I don't remember them off the top of my head.

#9 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 03:31 AM

@TsVk!  Thank you! 

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 11,721 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:15 AM

btw, Great video, Nick!  Were you using Ubuntu?

Thanks, and Yes Ubuntu 14, I only use Ubuntu or Puppy Linux.

I am a Defenestraphobic, ( I have a fear of Windows )

Edited by NickAu, 29 July 2015 - 04:55 AM.

#11 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:31 AM

Yeah, Nick!  Recognized the Halloween colors and left x!  :halloween:    :cowboy:     :wizardball: 

#12 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 05:10 PM

Bump: this is the original where-to-get-the-download media tool thread.  So people will find it instead of making new dupe threads.

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,277 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 06:38 PM

Hey guys, I downloaded the iso, but M.S. would not give me an Activation Key.  They said my HP Product Key was good but Tech would not help me out.  Do I need to actually start the install to obtain this? that is something I have been told,  but that info was old.  Don't want an upgrade, I  would rather clean install.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:12 AM

@pcpunk: the official release iso is not like our TPs, which are all activated now.  The official downloader will not allow you to do a clean install until you first upgrade the older Windows.  So you have to clone your older Windows first, or effectively you lose it.

So you have to boot in the older Windows, insert the usb/DVD and then on the latter, click its 'setup.exe'.  This will ONLY upgrade on top of your existing Windows.  You can choose to keep all part or none of your old Windows, as you'll see in the options, but you cannot choose 'clean install' until the upgrade step has completed.

During the update process, since the key for your older Windows is embedded in that older Windows, the Win10 tool/iso looks for the old embedded license, on your machine: so YOU do not provide the key.  If the Win10 tool/iso has a problem finding that key, it might terminate or boot loop or just revert you back to your old Windows (not without damage).  And you won't know, that's why.

Only after its upgrade is successful, can you then use the same key to do a clean install.  Because by then, the key will be replaced with a Win10 key.  Which means, your old license is terminated, replaced with Windows 10 (not good, as the Win10 license is conditioned on OEM support for your device, so can be DOA).

EDIT: you don't actually see the key nor is it asked of you.  You can find out what it is by software like Belarc or Produkey, but MSFT will never ask you for the key.  Because, it thinks it fights piracy this way.

So you're better off just keeping your activated Preview, which HAD allowed you to dual boot or do clean install.

I'm still pondering whether to keep my remaining 8.0 in shrinkwrap -- which effectively dies in January -- or to install it, update it to 8.1 and then to 10.  Right now, I'm going to wait, until all this nonsense with the Terms of Service and the EULA, get sorted out.  For I will not use Win10 under the current terms.  The activated former-TP is on a tester laptop (Dell Latitude 6510), dual-booted with another retail 8.1, whose hard drive is easily removed.

Edited by brainout, 04 August 2015 - 07:58 AM.

#15 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 249 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:29 AM

Actually Windows 10 doesn't give you a new key when it's activated. What happens is a HASH number is generated based on your hardware that is used by MS to track activations. If that hard changes the hash doesn't match and reactivation may be necessary.

• Alienware 18 Intel Core i7 4810 QM 16GB DDR3
  • 18.4" (1920 x1080) 
  • 1 TB Samsung EVO MSATA SSD 1 TB WD 5400 RPM HD 750 GB WD 5400 RPM HD
  • Nvidia GT 860 GM SLI graphics
  • Windows 10 Pro + Surface Book i5 256gb SSD 8gb RAM DGPU

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users