Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Server 2012 Group Policy Error

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Razoe

Razoe

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:15 PM

Hey Guys, So here is my situation,

i am fairly new to networking, i was tasked with setting up a server as DC and the appropriate roles, like DHCP, DNS, as well as a 2nd server as the file server.  The server came with Server 2012..

So, virtualization being the way to go, i enabled the Hyper V role on the Sever, and then of course created 1 VM.

Silly me created only a VM for the File Server, i called it "XXXServer3"

The host name was "XXX-Server1" (notice the naming scheme is slightly different, this one has a dash).

The host, i also gave it the role of Primary DC (Sigh*), DHCP, DNS.

I got a problem where i was unable to access the file server via UNC. I checked spiceworks forum, and i was educated on how having roles running on the host was  a bad idea and stuff. So i created a 2nd VM. Called it "XXXServer1" and enabled the same roles that the host was doing. Recreated the DHCP range etc etc. DHCP works fine, no problem.

Active directory users Synced over, no problem.

CRAZY ME went and thought , alright, everything SEEMS synced over. Time to demote the host, so i went ahead and removed the roles, as well as changed the computer name for "XXX-Server1" to "XXX-HVS", whose only roles at the moment is Hyper V.

BUT.

I have this terrible problem with Group Policy.(note that it was working perfectly before i moved the primary DC off the Hyper V host), now, when i edit policys, and run gpupdate on the client, i get the error in the attached file.

Please help ~ i understand its looking for something that it cannot find, but i dont understand what exactly its looking for and how to help it find it. Im sure the answer is right there in the error, but i just for some reason cant see it :( :unsure:

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:37 AM

On the client, open up Windows Explorer and enter %logonserver%. Make sure the Sysvol folder contains a copy of the group policy GUID you are trying to implement, and that the copy is recent.

Based on the error, it looks like your sysvol replication is not working. You will have to troubleshoot that:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2218556

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/58b8cdc3-a990-46c7-a70e-a51fd6965537/sysvol-and-netlogon-shares-missing-from-new-domain-controllers-using-dfrs

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 12:11 PM

You may first want to test to make sure sysvol is replicating properly, using dcdiag: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc728051%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

#4 Razoe

Razoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 07:33 AM

Thanks a lot slatechguy. You post didnt completely solve my problem, but it guided me in the right direction and thanks to it i found the answers i was looking for!

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 09:43 AM

When it comes to domain controllers, sometimes just knowing where to begin looking is half the battle.

Glad you were able to sort it out. Can you share exactly what the problem was?

#6 Razoe

Razoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 11:47 AM

Well firstly, it was a problem with the Sysvol not replicated as u said, which then after drilling down, i discovered that it was having replication issues due to an OLD DC that was removed previously, but clearly it wasnt removed properly.

So i followed some steps to removing it. Searching for the link now but cant seem to find it, once i do, ill edit this reply with it.

#7 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 12:40 PM

Ah yes. Can't just shut down a DC and unplug it from the network, or just delete the server object from AD. You've got to make sure all the metadata gets cleaned up and all replication references to the old DC get removed. :)

#8 Razoe

Razoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:41 AM

Gotta Love IT, and the Online  IT community. I really dont know what i would do without them sometimes #Appreciation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users