Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crashed External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gary's Girl

Gary's Girl

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:07 PM

We've been having some computer troubles (got help in another forum here for that) and I backed up my personal files on an external harddrive. Unfortunately, before I could recover them, the drive crashed and now I am unable to restore my backups to their rightful place.

My laptop is an HP G72; running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit; Intel Pentium CPU P6100 @ 2.00GHz; 6 GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics; 300 GB HDD - but the external drive is a Seagate Free Agent Go Drive and it's several years old. I've been using it for backups for years and it's been great. However, when I tried to get my backed up files a couple days ago, the drive was so slow it took forever to open and slowed the computer to a crawl - then, it refused to open, giving the message, "Drive F: is inaccessible; parameters are incorrect" - I didn't know what that meant, so I googled it only to find that it meant that the drive had crashed.

There are decades of research on that drive as well as thousands of family and business pictures - and I desperately need to recover them. I opened an administrator command prompt and began running a chckdsk on the drive last night around 11:30 p.m. - It's now 6:48 p.m. and it's only 11% through the process. I don't know if I should leave it running or if it's safe to stop it. The first 8% said "File record segment (a number here) is unreadable - it said this over and over with different file numbers. Then it skipped to 11% and began saying "Deleting an index entry from index $0 of file 25" five times. Then it began saying "Correcting error in index $130 for file (a number here). Sorting index $130 in file (a number here)" over and over and that's where we are now. 

Until just now, the F: drive properties window wouldn't open. Suddenly, it does. There's an option under the "Tools" tab to "Back up now" - should I stop the chkdsk and try the backup option? Or let chkdsk continue for a few more days and see if it recovers anything? Would the backup option work while chkdsk is running? If nothing is recovered by chkdsk, is there any other way at all to access those files? If not, can I reformat the drive and use it again or is it now unusable? Reformatting is a terrible choice, as losing all those files will be devastating.

Thanks for any assistance anyone can give.

Sharon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:44 PM

I am sorry to say this but running chkdsk on the drive was probably the worse thing you could have done. I would stop the chkdsk and do not power on the drive any further. I think your only chance of file recovery now is through a professional data recovery service and that can run approx $800 and up depending on how bad the drive is. There is a member on the board that comes from DataMedics but I don't believe he is on at the moment. You may want to PM him and reference this thread.

See #2 of this post. And this post.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/u/953914/datamedic/

#3 Gary's Girl

Gary's Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:44 AM

Oh my. Thanks for answering - I was afraid there was nothing that could be done without extraordinary (and by that I mean professional and expensive) means. I've certainly learned a lesson here - put all backups in the cloud from now on. Anyhow, I appreciate the info. Bleepingcomputer.com is AWESOME, as always - and always very much appreciated - you guys are always my go-to resource for computer problems. 

Thanks again,

Sharon

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 12:58 PM

Hope you get your data back. Good Luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users