Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Games Artifacting or Not Starting

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Texan_Tussler

Texan_Tussler

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 05:48 PM

Howdy everyone, 

I've run into a problem with a computer that was custom built at about a year old. I was playing Star Wars: The Old Republic, when I noticed one area was artifacting pretty bad. I restarted my computer, and now SWTOR won't launch, games like GTA V and Metro 2033 won't launch at all or launch with heavily artifacted menus then crash immediately. In response, I reinstalled my drivers with a clean install, and used canned air to clear out my computer (which had gotten rather dusty). 

The cause of the crashes seems to be, without variation, a "LiveKernelEvent", in which Kernel crashes. Is this due to my GPU not getting enough power? Or that my GPU itself is fried out? It seems to be able to run benchmarks, if poorly The FPS on these benchmarks is pathetic (30ish) but the GPU doesn't overheat.

Stats:
CPU: Intel i5-4690

Motherboard: MSI MS-7918
GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX660
Memory: 8192MB
PSU: Coolmax ZX-700

All the help you can give me is appreciated!

Edit: Upon further testing of games, some seem to have an issue failing with MSVCR110.dll or ERR_GFX_D3D_INIT.

Edited by Texan_Tussler, 28 July 2015 - 06:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 09:17 AM

A quick look for a review on that power supply shows that it has a hard time dealing with power under full load.  It could be a bad power supply or it could be the video card has just seen better days.  The video card itself pulls almost 300 watts on load so I can see where a psu that isn't up to par may be failing your video card.  I am leaning towards power supply and the warmer it gets the more stress is put on the power supply to produce 'good clean power'

#3 Texan_Tussler

Texan_Tussler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 01:46 PM

Thanks for the reply! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users