Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet connection problems with XP Pro

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mmagyar69

mmagyar69

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 05:19 PM

I am running Windows XP Pro on my Dell laptop. I recently reloaded the operating system to get rid of viruses. I use MSN as my home page. When I open up the internet it goes to msn and I can go through everything that is available on it. However, I can't go to any other website. When I try, I get the message that internet explorer has encountered a problem and has to close or I get the page cannot be displayed message. I am running a wireless connection but it is not my modem or router giving me a problem. I have another laptop that connects to the internet just fine. That's how I am communicating to you. Any ideas? I have reloaded the operating system twice now, so it must be another problem. Also, MSN looks different on each computer, the format is not the same and it should be. Any ideas and help would be greatly appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 05:42 PM

Hello, and Welcome

Is Windows XP at SP3?  Right click your wireless network adapter in Device Manage and select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line.

#3 mmagyar69

mmagyar69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:21 PM

Here's the first line:  PCIWEN_14E4&DEV_4328&SUBSYS_00091028&REV_01

#4 mmagyar69

mmagyar69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:24 PM

Under the Network adapter line one: V1394\NIC1394

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:29 PM

Do you have a model number of the Dell laptop?

#6 mmagyar69

mmagyar69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:36 PM

XPS PP05XB

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:54 PM

That is a broadcom chipset but I could not find the drive on the computer's support page. See if this dell driver works for you. Create a Restore Point before install.

Have you updated to SP3?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users