Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are you ready for Windows 10?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Eddie7

Eddie7

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 04:46 PM

I'm really excited. Hopefully they weave out as many bugs as they can before it comes out tomorrow! :)

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 28 July 2015 - 05:27 PM.
Moved from 'General chat' to 'Win 10'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 05:45 PM

I don't think everybody will get it tommorrow tho, MS will probably spread it out over a month or so.

Edited by gigawert, 28 July 2015 - 05:45 PM.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 10:04 PM

I don't think everybody will get it tommorrow tho, MS will probably spread it out over a month or so.

Quite right. Insiders will get it first, then the ones who reserved, and then every others. But I think I'll wait for a little longer till everything is steady.

#4 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 10:15 PM

Quite right. Insiders will get it first, then the ones who reserved, and then every others. But I think I'll wait for a little longer till everything is steady.

Ha! Well I'm an Insider and I reserved it.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#5 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 03:45 AM

Okay, I'm posting this here as due diligence, and because I can't post it in my vimeo group page ("Updating to Win10?") reserved for that purpose.  Vimeo glitch won't display group topics.  It's a known bug I hope they will soon fix.

How to get ready and what to do after installation, stuff you cannot find in the pundit articles: for there is no easy transition, sorry.  This isn't to blame Windows or MSFT.  There just is no such thing as an easy upgrade of any OS.  On rare occasions it becomes easy, be grateful when it is.

1.  You first must backup, yes.  Better still, CLONE.  Better even still, CLONE and put Win10 on a separate partition, using the Custom Install option.  That way, you still have a working Win7 or Win8.1.  For if you love 7/8.1, you will probably hate 10.  I'm not sure if the separate partition option will be in the today-released version (so to dual boot).  Should be, since you're never using more than one instance of the OS (old version or new) at any time, on that machine.

2.  In Custom install, look for the "customize' in the lower left corner, not the big EXPRESS INSTALL in the lower right, for the latter opts you into turning your machine into Big Brother, for the sake of Cortana.  Oh, you must 'share' all your 'typing, inking, and speech' with Microsoft's servers and 'trusted partners' in order for 'her' to work, it says!  Really?  But you won't KNOW this unless you elected 'customize' in tiny type at the left lower corner!  The EXPRESS INSTALL opts you into all that.

And yes DO provide/create an MSFT account, use a fake name email that you actually use, but so your identity is unknown.  So set that up, prior.  You can setup without it, but you'll have a much easier time if you do create such an account.  Mine is under 'brainout', so you do NOT have to provide a real name and address.  Whew.

And carefully read the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA).  Key clauses there are

• It's a ONE USER license.  Meaning, one machine with one user.  This is often overlooked.  You can have family member accounts on the same machine, and you can have multiple devices 'hooked' to that machine, but not other employees: for it's a PERSONAL license to YOU.
  • 'you agree to receive updates' (with the Home version even being more clear that accepting all MSFT-sent updates is MANDATORY), so you're bound to that;
  • if you have a problem you can't sue MSFT but can call for 'binding arbitration';
  • that you will not run more than one copy of the software (meaning, if you had only one eligible machine you can't have more than one Windows 10), and that one copy is tied to the machine on which it's  installed;
  • that you will only have one backup (only one you use, doesn't mean you can't have backups of backups)
  • other conditions as specified in the internet links (which aren't working right now, so the EULA is defective and can be contested as invalid).
  • For here's the contract law license rule: you're getting ONE INSTANCE of the OS due to having ONE INSTANCE of the prior OS.  So now they are 'married', so only ONE INSTANCE of either can be running at any ONE time.  So it's not like you can put the Win10 on another machine and run it and your earlier OS at the same time. So your backup/clone also has to stay unused, as its purpose is to fix/replace/repair your ONE INSTANCE licensed.

3.  For once installed (which takes 2 hours or more), you'll need to spend a good two hours shutting off all the privacy invaders you've just turned on:  camera, microphone, keying, the whole bit.  You have to turn off websearch in search bar, turn off Cortana (same place, left click and look for the narrow left vertical strip of ugly glyph-icons which don't look clickable.  Then, you go to Settings and find Privacy (after right click Personalize Settings at upper left, click on the arrow) -- it takes a really long time to click on each line of text on left or right, scrolling to see all the options you must turn off to prevent your machine sending data to MSFT: some of these turn offs are required ONLY at MSFT's own website and Bing, and they don't turn off easily.  Then there's the stuff to turn off in Edge, which blares with ads when you invoke it.

4.  BE SURE to change all your Power Settings to turn off Hibernate in every 'power profile' there is, even if you don't use them, for if you don't, and your Windows machine borks, you cannot use Linux to rescue it, and might not be able to use Windows repair, either.  Be sure to get into Advanced Options and scroll all the way down to uncheck 'fast boot', which is the main Hibernate option.  For a hibernated disk can be more easily damaged and drains your resources faster.

5.  Then you must spend a good 24 hours solid, trying to find all the menuing and settings, and if you're smart:  creating desktop icons, then a Desktop toolbar to hold them.  If a Win7 lover, you'll come to hate the Win10 interface, by this time, as the StartScreen is laughingly called a Start Menu, and is a wide ugly vertical strip with those loud ugly winking tiles.  As if you were a teenybopper.  Here's a video (first 14 mins) on how I made the Desktop toolbar (same procedure in Win7 as shown, applies to Win8-10).  Vid description links back to BC, where my 'top 10 Windows tips' is written in full.  One of those tips, is 'Godmode', a kind of Table of Contents for all the features and settings.  Will save you a lot of time and hassle, to learn how to use it.

6. Good news, whew: your old programs will run, even if Win10 says they won't, since you did a clean install.  So now install programs even from the 1980's (though you need DOSbox to install DOS Lotus 123 and other DOS programs).   The install will bomb or not work if installing atop your current version, if you've old programs (esp. virus or Norton stuff).

7. Next, since you have zero customizability for font faces, find an old copy of Plus! from a Win98 or Win95 OS disk and copy it to your old XP and create some theme you want in Win10.  This is the only way to get the colors (only sometimes, but better than nothing), and font faces you can read (like Franklin Gothic or Gill Sans MT or Comic Sans MS, darkest scalable faces with best use of white space on flat-panel LCD monitors).  Then, copy that theme into the Themes folder of Plus!, put it in Win10's Program Files x86, and invoke THEMES.exe from the Plus! folder.  Ahhh, now you can see the desktop text!  I did a tutorial on it, but the link is in vimeo and not now available.  Will be doing a vimeo video in Win10 showing that process, live. You can see a sample in the last 10 minutes of the 'Here's a video' link, above.

8.  Then as you use the machine and want to throw it out the Window since it's really 8.2 interface, not Win10... go get Stardock or Classic Shell (the latter works better in 10 than it does in 8).. and finally notice you got a sensible menu, even with some restoration of classic Windows Explorer icons.  The greatest thing about that Classic Shell, is that you can right-click and hit 'Exit', if you want to use only the Win10 menu 'native'.  You'll have to reboot to restore Classic Shell (so far as I can tell).

9.  Then use Edge, to download Firefox or Chrome, that's all Edge is good for. Customize, Sync.  (Edge has no features yet, so is ugly and useless, full of ads until you create some other url as your home page.)

10.  Then go get dinner or breakfast, for you will have not likely even showered, for a day or two.  Whew.

Edited by brainout, 29 July 2015 - 08:09 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users