Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accidently deleted partition

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GiddyGoat

GiddyGoat

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 04:45 PM

Hello, I was trying to expand a partition but deleted a partition in the process. I have a SSD and HDD the the partition which took about half of the HDD space.

On the HDD was a storage partition, system reserved and the deleted partition. So it is currently unallocated. I've tried running recovery programs they find it but

it will cost me money to restore it since I'm using the free version. What should I do now? I've attached a picture of what it looks like currently

I've tried using testdisk I cant really understand it.

39a5743aa5.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 05:01 PM

Was the partition you deleted = to the unallocated space or was E: the partition you were expanding. Did you actually expand E: or stop after you deleted your partition? The less you write to E: the better as this could be overwriting data you are trying to recover if E: was indeed expanded into your previous partition space. If the unallocated space was equal to the partition you deleted and E: was not expanded then you have a good chance of recovery.

Do you have an external drive with enough free space to recover your data?

#3 GiddyGoat

GiddyGoat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 05:03 PM

Before there used to be 4 partitions one was a 10GB test partition since I was running out of space on my deleted partition I tried to expand it but mucked it up some how and deleted both of them, if that makes any sense

Edited by hamluis, 28 July 2015 - 05:25 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,493 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 05:12 PM

On your C: Partition download Testdisk for Windows. Unzip to a folder on your desktop. Here is a step by step guide. Do not write any partition table. Only scan Disk 0. Hopefully it will detect the partitions doing a Quick Search. After a Quick Search there will be partitions listed. Highlight each and press the "P" key. Do this for each partition listed. Do you see your files on the deleted partitions. If you do not see any deleted Partitions on Quick Search, do a Deeper Search and Highlight any partitions it finds. Press the "P" key on each partition. Again, do not write anything, only scan and use the "P" key to see if the files are detected.

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 July 2015 - 05:12 PM.

#5 GiddyGoat

GiddyGoat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 05:14 PM

I've tried the quick scan it didn't come up I'll try to deep scan.

Edited by hamluis, 28 July 2015 - 05:25 PM.

#6 GiddyGoat

GiddyGoat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:41 AM

Okay I ran a deep scan and it came up with a few drives but they weren't the missing one.

However 2 of them have a damaged file system perhaps it could be there? I can't really tell.

I've attached a picture of the results

abacc4c071.png

Edited by GiddyGoat, 29 July 2015 - 04:43 AM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,493 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:24 AM

Can you see any files by pressing "p" at each partition? If not then you are going to have the scan the drive using something like Easeus Data Recovery but you will have to pay to recover over 1GB of data. Recuva which is free may also find the files. Do not recover any files back to Disk 0 which includes Partition E:

Testdisk has a sister program called Photorec but it is a little more difficult to work with and files are recovered in real time so the recovery device,not your Disk0, which would be an external drive needs to have as much space as the data you are recovering. The file names are also generic with the correct extension so you would have to open and rename them accordingly. If using Photorec make sure you select what extensions you want recovered under File Options as it will recover every file including small dll's by default.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users