Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC shutting down by itself, buzzing noise.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Actaeonis

Actaeonis

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 04:41 PM

As of recently I have the problem that at random points the PC seems to shut itself down, I hear a click as if  it would go to sleep mode but the power button stays on aswell as the fans and other components. The problem also occurs when I try to shutdown the computer manually, it hear the click, screen goes black but all the insides stay powered. Last time i could also hear a buzzing noise through my headphones, probably the audio signal turned to shreds.

I run Windows 7 on:

i7-860

MSI GTX 970
Antex-HCG 750 Watts
Probably some Intel H58 motherboard.
6GB of DDR3 RAM

It's an improved Acer Aspire M7811.

I am however on the lookout for a new computer, so the only thing that bothers me is wether or not the issue could be caused by my GPU or PSU since those components I plan to move to my new system.

Edited by Actaeonis, 28 July 2015 - 04:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:14 AM

Start with these free diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

From your description I suspect an issue with your video card.

So, please do this also:

- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Actaeonis

Actaeonis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:49 AM

Alright I did try to turn my PC on but within minutes it shut down again, I am getting worried about my GPU so I actually replaced it with my older one, I am now in the system. However I do want to mention that I had the impression that my pcie power connector was not thightly connected to the GPU, especially the 2 pins at the side of the 8 pin connector were appearing to be a bit loose, however the PC did start, and the GPU light always remained on so I do not know of this could be the causation of the problem. I have attached the Eventlog and will reseat the new graphic card with extra causion concerning the power pins, and will run the diagnostics later when I have a bit more time at hand. A broken GPU would really devastate me, as it is only around a month old.

Attached Files

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:15 AM

Admin log shows a consistent controller error with your CD drive.

Please disconnect the CD drive from the motherboard and the power - then run the system to see if the CD controller errors go away (a day should be sufficient).

But, as the old video card would shut down - and the new one doesn't - the problem is most likely with the old video card.

If it's only a month old it may still be under warranty.  Check with the place that you bought it from.  If they don't warrant it, then check with the company that manufactured it.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Actaeonis

Actaeonis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 09:27 AM

I reseated the video card, this time I heard clicks when applying the power cables, something I don't think I did last time. I put the computer on for five hours with Shadow of Mordor running as to put some stress on the GPU. When I returned I did some usual stuff, browsing, playing some League of Legends, checking mail - give or take 4 hours - then I let youtube play for the remainder of the night all in all the computer was operational for 15 hours or so and did not shut down. Perhaps it could be a faulty seated video card that caused the problems? I had no problems shutting down the computer in the morning.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2015 - 04:56 AM

It's very possible that that was the problem, I'm glad that it was a relatively easy fix.  Thanks for letting us know!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users