Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PSU and UPS Question (Pure Sine Wave)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kktto

kktto

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 01:53 PM

I am looking for a new UPS for my machine. I'm not in the US so I don't have my pick of what online has, just what's available locally. I was looking at this one:

http://www.amazon.com/APC-BR1500G-Back-UPS-10-outlet-Uninterruptible/dp/B003Y24DEU

The overall reviews are good, but one review mentions that it's a risky choice for newer machines and was published in 2011:

http://goo.gl/38zp7u

It mentions that newer machines need a pure sine wave. My PSU is this one:

http://goo.gl/6NP26b

How can I find out if my PSU needs pure sine wave, if it would work properly with this UPS? Also, do UPSes give the approximated sine wave all the time or only when on battery? Will a PSU that needs pure sine wave not work at all on an approximated sine wave, or work and get damaged?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 02:13 PM

That power supply does indeed use active power factor correction so if the amazon's postings are correct you would indeed need a UPS that uses pure sine wave instead of stepper.

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 09:31 PM

The hazard of running on a non-sine wave UPS would be overheating and eventual failure of the power supply.  How the PS fails will determine if any other components get damaged.   The output from the battery circuit would be non-sine wave but when on regular power it would be okay.   A non-sine wave power unit tends to provide more voltage for a longer period, making the regulator circuits work hard to hold the voltage down, thus more heat.

#4 kktto

kktto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 04 August 2015 - 03:47 PM

That power supply does indeed use active power factor correction so if the amazon's postings are correct you would indeed need a UPS that uses pure sine wave instead of stepper.

The hazard of running on a non-sine wave UPS would be overheating and eventual failure of the power supply.  How the PS fails will determine if any other components get damaged.   The output from the battery circuit would be non-sine wave but when on regular power it would be okay.   A non-sine wave power unit tends to provide more voltage for a longer period, making the regulator circuits work hard to hold the voltage down, thus more heat.

thanks for the replies, I'll look into trying to get a proper UPS then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users