Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wise or Dumb?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Beel

Beel

• Members
  • 415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:38 AM

I have chosen with MS to upgrade my W7 Asus laptop to W10 and now after reading some info on the upgrade I am not sure so I have set my updates to not to download updates. So my question if that was wise or not. All ideas with this will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:42 AM

If it's wise or not, it's your decision. We cannot tell you if it is or not. We cannot judge Windows 10 for you, even less tell you how to feel towards it. All we can do is tell you our own view of the OS, but what you think of it must comes from you. So the question doesn't really apply here I think.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:46 AM

You really have to make the determination yourself.  What attracted you to Win10?  What upsets you about it?  Then research if there is some workaround so you'd be less upset, and do more thinking about what attracts you, search on the features you like, watch Youtube videos to see it in action, etc. I did a comprehensive listing of pros and cons to Win10 (in vimeo.com called 'Updating to Win10?', but vimeo's glitchy right now) -- as I'm still unsure myself, whether to update.  I have Win10, as do many here.  Even so, what convinces me might be irrelevant to you.

So why not go to Youtube, type in 'Windows 10', see it in operation, think over what you really want.  Come back here, read what you can, ask questions (everyone is helpful here).  There's no shortcut.  We all have different needs and desires for our machines...

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#4 PresComm

PresComm

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:58 AM

I may be off-base here, but I think the question he was asking was, in general, was it wise to disable the downloading of updates on his machine. He already made the determination against Win10, but he wants to know if the step he took in acting out on that determination was wise... namely, he disabled updates.

Did I get that right, Beel?

Edited by PresComm, 28 July 2015 - 11:58 AM.

#5 Beel

Beel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 415 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 12:47 AM

Thanks to you 3 for your input here. The main reason I stopped updates from downloading automatically was because I decided to wait and see what if any problems others encounter with the W10 download and the OS itself. If it appears that all goes well when other users download the new OS I will give it a go. As I am by no means an expert on OS's and computers if I did have trouble I would have a lot of trouble sorting it out myself.

Again Thanks for your help.

#6 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 12:53 AM

Then that's wise, Beel.  Take your time, investigate first.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#7 Beel

Beel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 415 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 02:34 AM

Thank you Brainout, can't remember when anyone had classified me as being wise before though...... :thumbup2:

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:18 AM

Stopping your updates from being downloaded won't affect the Windows 10 upgrade download from the KB3035583 if you reserved your Windows copy already. It's true that it's downloaded via Windows Update, but it also says that it'll be downloaded automatically and you'll be notified once the download is complete.

Also, a safe setup for the Windows Updates is to automatically install the "Important Updates", which are security-related and critical for the security of your OS, while leaving the "Recommended Updates" to be picked manually.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#9 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:34 AM

Sorry, Aura, but THERE WERE THREE EXTRA GWX updates in my 64-bit Win7 updates this morning, not merely 3035583.  They were billed out as 'important' and 'security', but are not.

So for someone who's a newbie, best to just turn them off.  More risk to click on the GWX icon by mistake and trash the machine from a GWX installer, than from any possible malware.  Think of newbies and how they won't know to backup first.  I told my business partner to turn Win7 updates OFF, hoping he knows how.  Cuz I hate Chitown summers, and if he gets that thing he'll click on it not knowing what it is and I'll have to fly up there.  100 degrees here in Houston (today) is better than 80 degrees in Chicago...

WINDOWS INSTALLERS NEVER PROPERLY WARN YOU TO BACK UP YOUR MACHINE FIRST.  Or, they only say it once and in small print.  THIS is the biggest threat to people today and in the coming months.  They should have instead done the notification as a popup with link YOU go to, not an auto download the unaware can click on!

That iso download link NickAu and you furnished is ideal for newbies.  It requires thought and reading, there's no auto anything.  So they are more protected, and have to think for themselves.  So likely won't do anything harmful.  Plus -- a MAJOR plus -- it provides MEDIA, which no Windows machine can afford to be without.

Whoever invented that GWX in the system tray, needs to be put out to pasture.  Really thoughtless thing to do.

Edited by brainout, 29 July 2015 - 08:47 AM.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:36 AM

The main KB is KB3035583. Even if you install the three others, but you don't have the KB3035583, you won't be able to reserve your copy of Windows 10.

unite_blue.png

#11 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:50 AM

Can you guarantee that, Aura?  Because others reported these and I saw them myself, they have the SAME LANGUAGE, and Infoworld reported on their contents, too.  TWO of those nagware thingies in the IW article, were in my downloads today.  The third was later than 3035583 (which was also in my downloads today), and its number is later, 3068708 .  So a total of four nagwares, all billed as 'important' and 'security', not optional.  I knew about them from someone else, so didn't install, but hid them.

And here's the kicker.  That machine I just bought, and its Win7 updates were completed when I first turned it on.  That was two weeks ago.  Yet these 'updates' are from April?  Installing now?

So unless you're willing to take liability for your opinion as a guarantee someone can sue you for, then maybe don't keep saying this.

Just fire whoever decided it was a good idea to issue those things as updates, and for misrepresenting them as 'important' and 'security'.  Fire the person YESTERDAY.  I shudder to think of all the botched installs which will occur, due to that procedure.

Edited by brainout, 29 July 2015 - 09:01 AM.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 09:03 AM

Can you guarantee that, Aura?

If you looked at the threads here where people couldn't get the "Get Windows 10" app working, you'll notice that a lot of them didn't have the KB3035583 installed, and that once they did, they had access to it.

Also here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3035583

This update installs the Get Windows 10 app, which helps users understand their Windows 10 upgrade options and device readiness. For more information about Windows 10, see Windows 10.

This update applies to Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Internet Explorer 11 (IE11). Before you install this update, check out the Prerequisites section.

So yes, I can pretty much guarantee it. Anything else?

Edit: On a side note, the KB3068708 isn't a re-issue of the KB3035583, but of the KB3022345, you mixed up these two.

Edited by Aura, 29 July 2015 - 09:04 AM.

unite_blue.png

#13 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 01:08 PM

I would have sworn that kb2976978 was something to do with the cutomer experience program, rather than one of the ones involved in gwx.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 01:09 PM

It is rp88, read the KB article for it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2976978

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users