Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Want to remove the ads from Solitaire in Windows 10? $1.49 a month", ZDNet

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:31 AM

Microsoft is once again bundling Solitaire with Windows, but if you want an ad-free experience then that's going to cost you.

The app in question is the Microsoft Solitaire app, and as first reported by PC World, the app prompts users to "upgrade" to the premium version for $1.49 a month (or $9.99 a year) to remove the ads and get some "coins" and "power boosts."

Want to remove the ads from Solitaire in Windows 10? That'll be $1.49 a month

I can feel the complaints coming in from here already.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,242 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:40 AM

Windows as a service :rolleyes:  Plenty of free alternatives including the one from XP and Windows 7.

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,602 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:43 AM

WaaS :D Personally, I don't play Solitaire anymore so it won't really bother me. Plus, it's just a matter of time before someone release a Windows app of the "old style" Solitaire that everyone will download. A bit like ClassicShell succeeded with the start menu on Windows 8/8.1.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,242 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:46 AM

WaaS :D Personally, I don't play Solitaire anymore so it won't really bother me. Plus, it's just a matter of time before someone release a Windows app of the "old style" Solitaire that everyone will download. A bit like ClassicShell succeeded with the start menu on Windows 8/8.1.

:thumbup2:

#5 PresComm

PresComm

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:52 AM

It is all just profit trend convergence. I mean, with the amount of data they look to start exfiltrating, plus ads... I mean, that's just the same basic profit model that Google, Facebook, {insertotherlargecompanieshere} are already doing. Data mining and ad targeting are the shining couple of potential revenue streams. I expect this trend to only continue and grow.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,602 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 01:04 PM

They were doing it back in the days on MSN and are still doing it on Skype. Ads from Microsoft aren't usually that invasive. If you don't like them, simply block them via the hosts file, problem solved :P

unite_blue.png

#7 PresComm

PresComm

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 01:13 PM

Yup. Doesn't bother me at all. I was just pointing out to people that may be all "Gasp!" about this revelation that it really isn't a revelation at all. It is just The Way Things Are.

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,798 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 03:10 PM

Well it is annoying as i still love myself some freecell

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#9 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 05:34 PM

I think Microsoft would be shocked at the number of average users who will refuse to upgrade to Windows 10 because of Solitaire. There are certain things they shouldn't mess with and Solitaire is one of them.

#10 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 05:46 PM

Who plays Solitaire anymore anyway?

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,242 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 05:51 PM

Well, there's always Candy Crush. :hysterical:

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,602 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 05:52 PM

Oh wow I completed forgot about Candy Crush as well...

unite_blue.png

#13 darkbit

darkbit

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 06:11 PM

It is all just profit trend convergence. I mean, with the amount of data they look to start exfiltrating, plus ads... I mean, that's just the same basic profit model that Google, Facebook, {insertotherlargecompanieshere} are already doing. Data mining and ad targeting are the shining couple of potential revenue streams. I expect this trend to only continue and grow.

Mom and pops will just be tricked into creating Microsoft online accounts ... no more local accounts it will all be in the MS cloud; Bing is baked into search; Cortana is actively listening in on your conversations; Windows Hello is a facial recognization database for Microsoft (and they want to collect your fingerprints too but they tell that using a password is old school); forced automatic updates (great for NSA injection points), Windows now searching and scanning your harddrive and storing a copy of all files or contents it finds suspicious, sharing everything with governments and third parties alike; datamining for all it is worth.

Stay off Windows 10. Windows 7 was the last real Windows OS. Use that or move to Linux. Don't fall for the trap.

Well, there's always Candy Crush. :hysterical:

Mineshaft, I mean Minecraft from microshaft

Just wait for the hololens ads. 3d ads are the future.

#14 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,798 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 06:37 PM

Who plays Solitaire anymore anyway?

I do, I dont care for FPS, world of warcraft or any of the more modern games.

I actually like a good round of solitare, spider solitare is my fave.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#15 Foxtrot_Yankee

Foxtrot_Yankee

• Banned
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 08:48 PM

Microsoft is once again bundling Solitaire with Windows, but if you want an ad-free experience then that's going to cost you.

The app in question is the Microsoft Solitaire app, and as first reported by PC World, the app prompts users to "upgrade" to the premium version for $1.49 a month (or $9.99 a year) to remove the ads and get some "coins" and "power boosts."

Want to remove the ads from Solitaire in Windows 10? That'll be $1.49 a month

I can feel the complaints coming in from here already.

People will just learn to become more comfortable with the idea of hacked operating system, cracked software and ways to avoid Microsoft's attempts at monopolistic control.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users