Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lag spikes when playing some online games

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ekorad

ekorad

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 10:11 AM

Hello everybody!

Since I bought my new laptop, I've been experiencing occasional 'lag spikes' (for 3-7 seconds, the ping jumps to very high values, making the game unplayable during those moments)

I have an Asus G551JM gaming laptop, has everything installed (talking about drivers, including the wi-fi one), no viruses (I hope, I mean I have an antivirus software, anti malaware/adware/etc.), and it's in 'mint condition', never had any other problems with it.

I've been experiencing this problem in games like Dota 2, or Path of Exile (both of them require internet connection).

When the 'thing' occurs, the wi-fi graph 'spazzez out' (reaches pretty high values).

This does not happen on my PC though (the PC is connected to the router via cable, while the laptop uses wi-fi)

I think I've read somewhere something about the antivirus software, should I try disabling it?

Router: TP-LINK TL-WR841N

Distance from router to pc: about 6 metres.

Edited by ekorad, 28 July 2015 - 10:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ekorad

ekorad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 10:18 AM

Here is the MTB.txt file (from the Mini Tool Box)

Attached Files

• Attached File  MTB.txt   40.61KB   1 downloads

#3 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:08 PM

What speed is your connection? How many ms is the ping to the gaming server? Also, it may be a good idea to allocate more memory to those games.

:)

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#4 ekorad

ekorad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:26 AM

I don't think it's about memory, the game runs perfectly fine via cable.

Ping: 55-65ms.

Ping/Lag spikes: jumps to about 700-900ms for a couple of seconds.

Cable speedtest (download): 80 Mbps

Wi-Fi speedtest (download): 22 Mbps

Gaming laptop, makers boasted a high quality Wi-Fi card (Intel Dual-Band Wireless N 7260, if it helps)

Tried changing the router channel to a 'better' one (better = has a higher score on WiFi Analyzer, an Android app which I've used to analyze chanels)

Router only operates on 2.4 Ghz so I can't try to change it on 5 Ghz :(

#5 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 11:01 AM

Another big factor is your upload speed. 

The 700-900ms ping time will do it (i.e. cause lag spikes)!

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#6 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 05 August 2015 - 11:27 AM

In addition to what gigawert has said, it may be just the fact you are using a wireless connection. WiFi isn't as stable and strong as an ethernet connection which is why you get faster speeds when connected via ethernet. You did mention that everything works fine when running the games via ethernet so this could possible be the reason for that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users