Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron 600m Boot Issue

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BenjaminGordonT

BenjaminGordonT

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:27 AM

OK So I just bought this Dell Inspiron 600m from Goodwill and I discovered I had to replace the motherboard because it wouldn't recognize the battery. So I did and I put everything back together. The new motherboard has been working great but there is one problem that has been bugging me for the longest time. Sometimes when you go to turn it on you click the on button and the 3 lights (caps lock, scroll lock, etc.) flash rapidly in succession (It might be a POST code but it doesn't seem to be because they flash much quicker then any POST code I've seen on that computer and they don't light up all the way, they sort of flicker like their having a seizure.) It does that for like 10 seconds and then shuts off. To fix it I usually have to shake the computer or tilt it on it's side, pretty much fiddle with it until when I turn it on it boots normally. While it's doing that weird flickering thing I can usually shake it and have it start immediately so it seems like it might be a loose connection or something but I'm not sure. This happened with the first motherboard I ordered so I got a refund and I was sent a new one. Since it happened again with the new one I assumed it wasn't a fauly motherboard since the chances of getting 2 faulty motherboards in a row with the exact same problem are very slim. I am using the other parts from the original computer and the original motherboard never had this problem so I'm stumped. I've completely disassembled it several times and this happens every time I put it back together. Is it a cable or something that isn't in properly??? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

-Benjamin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:38 AM

The Dell Inspiron 600m Laptop debuted in early 2003.  A laptop that will still turn on after over 10 years is doing pretty well I would say.  I think the same about this Sony laptop that I am using now which debuted in 2005.  My first guess is going to be solder traces on the mainboard itself.  I am pretty sure you did  not get a ' NEW ' motherboard when you bought a ' NEW ' motherboard for it.  So.. no doubt it was used and ' worked '.  You might get a better deal buying a 'used old' laptop from a jewelry and loan shop than a good will.

#3 BenjaminGordonT

BenjaminGordonT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 12:45 PM

Agreed "New" is not new after 10 years... However I bought 2 different motherboards from 2 different sellers with the EXACT same result... That's what makes me think it is an incorrectly placed cable or something... That doesn't just happen out of random... It has to be something I did wrong in putting it back together... But heck idk what I did do wrong...

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 01:30 PM

It doesn't seem that far-fetched when a quick google search for your problem turned up many results the most notable on Dell's site - seems this laptop was plagued from the 'get go' which reminds me of the first (original ps3) I bought that I ended up paying 200.00 for reball of the mainboard processors and video controllers. (because I wanted backwards compatibility with the ps2) which the newer ps3's don't have.  The system ended up simply dieing after a year but I thought I'd at least give it a shot.  I think you just need to come to the realization that pcb's and their trace components of the same era were using crappy solder.

#5 BenjaminGordonT

BenjaminGordonT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 02:05 PM

Agreed the page you found explains a lot of my issue... Honestly I have been fiddling with buying old laptops at Goodwill, upgrading the parts in them (for cheap) then using one of my dozens of licenses for Windows 7 and Office 2010 and reselling them... I've made some profit but I'd like to see this one brought back to life especially since I spent like 40$ on all the parts and way too many hours fiddling with it... Your right on one thing however... When you take it apart you'll find that the solder is quite bad... Your explanation of the problem is quite right... Now to fix the problem... Any idea on what chip exactly isn't working right? I may be able to resolder it back into place... The link you gave me had some hints but nothing affirmative.

#6 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 02:17 PM

Reballng pcb circuit chips can be done when the 'reballer' has the exact pcb specs for the mainboard.  But in your case a complete re-solder of the pcb would be needed because ' all of the solder' is no good.  They would basically need to rebuild the motherboard from the silicon up.  I am guessing you don't want to spend that kind of money on a 40 dollar laptop.  If DC3 is around he may have some ideas on how to go looking for your 'trouble spot' but IMO it simply wouldn't be worth my time/money.

#7 BenjaminGordonT

BenjaminGordonT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 02:31 PM

Looking online it seems to be a problem coming from the Ethernet Adapter... Which makes sense since I have had issues with it on occasion... I am wondering if shutting down onboard Ethernet in the BIOS will fix it... Or finding the right place to apply pressure to the designated area... And no problem... I'll work on it myself... Or anyone else that has input would be appreciated...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users