Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to avoid Win10 File Explorer crash due to WU just issued

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 08:24 AM

I missed this yesterday, it's different from the nVidia problem, this one can affect many.  The article (click here) has advice on how to prevent your network or File Explorer from crashing, until a fix has come out in Win10 updates.

Maybe the fix has already been sent, but I only saw a Windows Defender update this morning.  Mr. Woody Leonhard here says the fix has been issued.  I didn't see it, will have to check.

Edited by brainout, 28 July 2015 - 08:49 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:05 AM

This just gets better and better. It's bad enought for people with some experience to deal with these issues but what happens to all the poor souls with little computer experience when a KB update borks their computers?

Edit: An Microsoft is thinking about pushing out these updates using P2P?

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 July 2015 - 09:06 AM.

#3 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:54 AM

Yeah, and look at this article just done in Computerworld, about how the whole internet might bork.   I'm sure MSFT is trying not to do that, but if the article is correct, they already maxed out in the bandwidth they are allowed to reserve.  Why such a rush, if there is a whole year to update?  I can't think about this anymore.

Over the weekend, Comcast went offline for 8 hours, unprecedented. I had no Xfinity internet or phone. There was no storm (had been the day before, though).  So was Comcast down because of some alleged preloading by MSFT? Or was Comcast.. preparing?

I'm prepared now.  Only this Win7 machine is hooked up.  But you have to file Form 5500 pension plan returns online BY FRIDAY, and ... fingers crossed.  We went on extension, and there are a few more to do, extensions are solely allowed on paper.  So no damage, here. But what about others?

I shudder to think how many of my very smart but computer-challenged clients will be calling me for advice.  Yeah, what if they click that GWX icon and didn't back up their computers...      :smash:

Edited by brainout, 28 July 2015 - 10:02 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,087 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 04:23 PM

So....what we are really saying here is.....ALREADY, windows updates are 'skittling' a brand new, not yet released, hot as a stove, OS....!!!!????

Stay tuned folks....there is OBVIOUSLY more to come.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,087 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 04:31 PM

and just to add a RANT, (as has been 'discussed' elsewhere on BC....

Woody Leonhard

should have the opportunity to comment on win X ....in the BC forum.

The article HERE  which was linked by brainout, OP, is more than illuminating !!!

Woody specializes in telling the truth about Windows....in a way that wont put you to sleep !

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#6 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:24 PM

LOL Condobloke!  You know, it's really scary how all the fanboys are out in force now.  Woke up again at 9pm (I keep overloading from TMI re Win10, now that I'm putting clients on extension).. and reading the lockstep praise in ZDnet, CW, even IW (not from Woody though), Business Insider, PC World, even PC Mag, Thurrott, Forbes -- as if MSFT called them all to chirp for 'launch day'.  I'm not saying MSFT is actually behind this, and frankly I suspect they're not.  It's as if everyone needs a hero.  Some of my comments against, were deleted or put in moderation, though I don't swear or use hate speech (not my style).  But other articles allowed them.  Even my vimeo group on Win10 page is down.  Hopefully that, is just a glitch.

Win10 has some good stuff, but the bad stuff is significant, and is getting no press.  That alone, makes me wary.  If you were to substitute '8' for '10' in all these articles, the praise for 8 was remarkably the same.

I'm gonna hold off on Win10'ing my other machines:  except, I have one remaining shrinkwrap 8 Pro I might install and then get 10 on a separate partition, to test 32-bit Win10.  Then again, maybe not.

Too many problems.  Can always wait the five years and after that, plug in my Linux externals, for surfing.

Edited by brainout, 29 July 2015 - 12:07 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users