Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I Make a Recovery Disc from an ISO File?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Pippin66

Pippin66

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 08:13 AM

My Specs:

HP Pavilion dv6

Intel Dual Core  2.2ghz

4 gigs RAM

Windows 7 Ultimate

Hello

I have a really old pc which has missing files in the Recovery drive. I've tried Recuva but it shows the files are unrecoverable. I have an ISO Windows 7 file I downloaded from Digital River. I've made an installation disc but I still need a separate Recovery disk.

I was wondering if it's possible to make a Recovery disk from the ISO file I have or if its possible to make one from the install disc without having to actually install it first? and if so, how do I do it? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 08:23 AM

Hi Pippin66 :)

You can access the Recovery Environment from the Recovery disc. When you get on the Setup (installation) of Windows 7, when you boot from the installation disc, you'll have an option in small letters at the bottom called "Repair your computer". This will bring you in the Recovery Environment. So yes, an installation disc can be used as a Recovery disc.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Pippin66

Pippin66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 10:12 AM

Hi Aura

Thanks for answering so quickly. I need to make sure I understand you. Are you saying that I can boot from the dvd and get to the recovery file without having to install the OS? And once I'm in the "Recovery Environment" I can copy it to a flash drive or better yet to my pc?  

Or will I have to actually use it to repair the computer? If I do will it restore/repair the recovery drive on my pc?

I've been reading online that the installation disk is not the same thing as a recovery disk, Is that wrong?

I'm nervous about doing this because I do not want to install the OS over the current one I have on here.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 10:33 AM

Are you saying that I can boot from the dvd and get to the recovery file without having to install the OS?

It depends of what you mean by "recovery file".

And once I'm in the "Recovery Environment" I can copy it to a flash drive or better yet to my pc?

In the Recovery Environment, you have access to the command prompt from which you can use the "copy", "xcopy", etc. commands to copy files from a drive to another.

Or will I have to actually use it to repair the computer? If I do will it restore/repair the recovery drive on my pc?

You can use the installation disc to repair your computer. Either via a "Repair Install" (which is done following the installation process) or using the features of the Recovery Environment (Image Restore, System Restore, Startup Repair, etc).

I've been reading online that the installation disk is not the same thing as a recovery disk, Is that wrong?

It is because you cannot install/reinstall Windows from a Recovery disc, but you can from the installation disc and you can also access the Recovery Environment from it.

Here:

QKi8zf6.png

Clicking on that option will bring you in the Recovery Environment.

kVq5PLu.png

Edited by Aura, 28 July 2015 - 10:34 AM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users