Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Price of Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 cooked

cooked

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:26 AM

Silly question: is the price of W8.1 likely to fall after the introduction of W10? I got shafted when I bought a new PC that had Wenterprise installed and this cannot be renewed. I have three weeks left until my license runs out. So I will be able to upgrade to W10 after getting a new license?

I very much doubt that the shop that sold me the PC will help in any way.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:41 AM

What is Wenterprise?  I couldn't find it in search.  Do you mean Windows Enterprise? What version do you have now?

Edited by brainout, 28 July 2015 - 07:43 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#3 cooked

cooked
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:47 AM

I have Windows Enterprise which I didn't ask for, That's another story. I just need to know if W8.1  will become cheaper soon.

thanks

Attached Files

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:54 AM

You won't be able to buy a Windows 8.1 Entreprise licence, since these aren't sold individually but via Volume Licensing. Which edition of Windows 8.1 do you want, normal?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 cooked

cooked
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:57 AM

Oh dear. No I don't want a windows enterprise license, as mentioned above I don't want one and never asked for one. I was shafted. Yes, I want a normal license, whatever normal means.

Are the licenses likely to get cheaper after the release of W10?

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 08:22 AM

They are likely to drop a little yes, but maybe not right away. Maybe in two months or so.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 08:58 AM

Did you purchase 8.1 because your hard drive failed? If the computer is an OEM that came pre-installed with Windows 8 or 8.1 you can download the install media for free.

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 July 2015 - 09:01 AM.

#8 cooked

cooked
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:15 AM

Oh dear again. I didn't knowingly purchase W 8.1 , i bought a PC that was supposed to have LINUX preinstalled if you really want to know. I can't change W enterprise to W 8.1 pro or anything else. I just want to know if the price for W8.1 is likely to go down after the introduction of W1o.

#9 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 12:07 PM

@cooked:  as Aura said, prices will likely go down (as low as $60 here in Amazon), yet I bet somewhere near where you live, someone has a retail Windows 8 Pro unused.  Many of us got it for $40 and then never installed it.  They might even just flat give it to you?  Or try resale shops or thrift shops, garage sales.  Should be a number of local places where you can get a good deal.  Some here at Ebay, but make sure it's full retail, as you can't 'upgrade' from Enterprise.

The Win8 Pro can be updated to 8.1 for free (must do by January), and from there updated to Win10 for free.

Then again, you could just redo your machine with Linux, and buy a Win8 machine in Ebay, Amazon.. they are often under $200.

Edited by brainout, 28 July 2015 - 12:18 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 12:10 PM

Is this an older computer? As I posted, if this was a newer OEM computer and it came preinstalled with Windows 8 then the key will be embedded in firmware. If the person you bought it from put on Enterprise it's possible he did not know you could pull the key from firmware and use that with the free media download.

This would all depend on if the computer was a recent OEM that came preinstalled with Windows 8 and not custom built.

Do you have a make and model of the computer?

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 01:06 PM

Every Windows 8 can be upgraded for free to Windows 8.1. There's no limit on that from what I know. The update before January 2016 is only if Windows 8 users wants to keep on receiving updates and support. Then they'll have to upgrade to Windows 8.1 for that.

unite_blue.png

#12 malcom123

malcom123

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 01:29 PM

Sorry png file would not load ill try and convert to jpg. May take awhile sometime since I used required software.

#13 cooked

cooked
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 03:21 AM

Every Windows 8 can be upgraded for free to Windows 8.1. There's no limit on that from what I know. The update before January 2016 is only if Windows 8 users wants to keep on receiving updates and support. Then they'll have to upgrade to Windows 8.1 for that.

You can't upgrade enterprise to anything at all.

Sorry png file would not load ill try and convert to jpg. May take awhile sometime since I used required software.

It is a gif file, thanks.

Edited by cooked, 29 July 2015 - 03:28 AM.

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:19 AM

Of course, Windows 8.1 Entreprise is an exception because it works via Volume Licensing. Windows 8 and Windows 8 Professional can however.

unite_blue.png

#15 malcom123

malcom123

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:32 AM

It is a gif file, thanks.

Please note this is malcom123 and one of my posts from another thread has mistakenly got into this thread of which I am not participating in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users