Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Chrome-can't make sense of it

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 malcom123

malcom123

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 05:32 AM

When I had my new laptop I had the store install google chrome in addition to explorer.

For some reason the store set my Microsoft email link on the start screen to open up as default in google chrome instead of explorer.

However when open there are no backward or forward option when browsing links. Also although I have found a settings menu at the top right of google chrome with options like show bookmarks pane which is ticked - no bookmarks pane appears.  In fact the google chrome page is just a skeleton of a browser stuff opens in it but I can do nothing with it after. 

I just can't make sense of it.  Thank goodness my normal internet provider home page and its email does open up in Microsoft explorer as default for normal easy browsing.

I have both explorer and google chrome on my desktop. Google chrome has thus far been useless as a browser.  Confused as I understand it should function as fully working browser but how ???

Edited by Queen-Evie, 28 July 2015 - 09:15 AM.
moved from Windows 8

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 reckonankit

reckonankit

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 06:53 AM

Hey have you updated with latest version. first updated with latest version of google chrome browser.

I thinks its not to hard with work on chrome. its nice and user friendly browser. A lot of things you can do it with chrome. install many add ons to work faster and easiler  if you faced too much problem i think it will be helpful for you

https://support.google.com/chrome

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 06:55 AM

Hi malcom123 :)

What do you mean by "For some reason the store set my Microsoft email link on the start screen to open up as default in google chrome instead of explorer." exactly? Is it possible for you to provide a screenshot of what Google Chrome looks like and what you're not happy with? It would help us understand your situation.

mq1pzD6.pngHow to take a screenshot using the Snipping Tool
Follow the instructions below to take a screenshot using Windows' Snipping Tool:
  • Press on the Win Key + R to open the Run box;
  • Enter SnippingTool and press on Enter;
  • The Snipping Tool will open, asking you to choose the area to take in the screenshot;
  • Left click on the area where you want to start the screenshot, keep it, and drag the cursor across the screen;
  • Once done, release the left button to take the screenshot;
  • In the editing window, click on the File menu then Save As;
  • Save the screenshot in a folder that you can access easily;
  • Attaching the screenshot in your reply
    • Go in your thread and click on the Reply to this topic button in the top-right corner;
      85hPFGu.png
    • Below the text box you'll have the option to Attach files. Click on the Choose Files... button, navigate to your screenshot and select it;
      LKVBzF7.png
    • Once done, add a comment to your reply and post it;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 malcom123

malcom123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 06:57 AM

Hey have you updated with latest version. first updated with latest version of google chrome browser.

I thinks its not to hard with work on chrome. its nice and user friendly browser. A lot of things you can do it with chrome. install many add ons to work faster and easiler  if you faced too much problem i think it will be helpful for you

https://support.google.com/chrome

The laptop is only a few months old.  I would prefer to see if I can get the version I have understood and working before trying a newer version if there is one.

Experience with google chrome thus far makes me appreciate just how user friendly explorer is.

#5 malcom123

malcom123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:05 AM

What do you mean by "For some reason the store set my Microsoft email link on the start screen to open up as default in google chrome instead of explorer." exactly? Is it possible for you to provide a screenshot of what Google Chrome looks like and what you're not happy with? It would help us understand your situation.

mq1pzD6.pngHow to take a screenshot using the Snipping Tool
Follow the instructions below to take a screenshot using Windows' Snipping Tool:

• Press on the Win Key + R to open the Run box;
  • Enter SnippingTool and press on Enter;
  • The Snipping Tool will open, asking you to choose the area to take in the screenshot;
  • Left click on the area where you want to start the screenshot, keep it, and drag the cursor across the screen;
  • Once done, release the left button to take the screenshot;
  • In the editing window, click on the File menu then Save As;
  • Save the screenshot in a folder that you can access easily;
  • Attaching the screenshot in your reply
    • Go in your thread and click on the Reply to this topic button in the top-right corner;
      85hPFGu.png
    • Below the text box you'll have the option to Attach files. Click on the Choose Files... button, navigate to your screenshot and select it;
      LKVBzF7.png
    • Once done, add a comment to your reply and post it;

Got the screen shot but can't figure out how to add it to your reply. Clicking choose file got me no where.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:11 AM

You can try the basic uploader instead.

EMLbneD.png

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 malcom123

malcom123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:19 AM

==============================================================================================================

When new I had currys set it up for me and they installed google chrome in addition to explorer.  My internet provider sky and its email are set up to open as default in explorer. Which is fine.

However on the start screen I have Microsoft email and if I open mail via this icon it opens up in google chrome not explorer. Although I can view the contents on the google chrome page I cannot do anything else. If I follow links I cant go back ot forward as there is no back or forward buttons. I can not bookmark because there is no bookmark pane even though the options menu has bookmarks ticked.

The screenshot I am trying to get to you is when google is opened but not with a web address. Just a skeleton google page with nothing like explorer options

I cannot see how to upload the screenshot as I can't find any link in the top right as you describe

#8 malcom123

malcom123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:22 AM

You can try the basic uploader instead.

EMLbneD.png

Where can that be found ?

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:27 AM

When you click on More Reply Options at the bottom of your thread, you'll go on a new page to write your post. At the bottom of the text area, this option will be there.

ltd3MwM.png
JlZjiEK.png

unite_blue.png

#10 malcom123

malcom123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:33 AM

Here is the screenshot of google chrome as opened from the desktop taskbar

Attached Files

#11 malcom123

malcom123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:51 AM

Here is a screenshot when link opened with web page.

Attached Files

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:53 AM

Alright, this is normal. It means that Google Chrome is not set to open a homepage when you launch it, it opens the "New Tab" page instead. You can change this easily.

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95314?hl=en

Let me know if there's something you don't understand :)

unite_blue.png

#13 malcom123

malcom123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 08:04 AM

Alright, this is normal. It means that Google Chrome is not set to open a homepage when you launch it, it opens the "New Tab" page instead. You can change this easily.

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95314?hl=en

Let me know if there's something you don't understand :)

If I start experimenting with setting could I accidentall screw up my default explorer that come from my main internet provider.

I would not want google to be a default browser.  Looking at the settings I can do nothing until I "sign in"

Then questions are more complicated as I don't want to mess up my existing default browser (explorer)

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 08:21 AM

Google Chrome settings and Internet Explorer settings are independent. As long as you don't click on the button to make Google Chrome your default web browser, Internet Explorer will be. Even if you did, you can set back Internet Explorer back as your main web browser in 2 clicks (I can tell you how). As for Google Chrome, if you want to get the most of Chrome, sign-in with your Google account and you'll find the experience much more enjoyable :)

unite_blue.png

#15 malcom123

malcom123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 08:28 AM

Google Chrome settings and Internet Explorer settings are independent. As long as you don't click on the button to make Google Chrome your default web browser, Internet Explorer will be. Even if you did, you can set back Internet Explorer back as your main web browser in 2 clicks (I can tell you how). As for Google Chrome, if you want to get the most of Chrome, sign-in with your Google account and you'll find the experience much more enjoyable :)

Thank you. Please tell me how just in case I get into trouble.  By the way will the "how" also tell me how to reset my Microsoft email to open in explorer instead of google chrome.?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users