Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Leave router on 24/7?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 04:20 AM

An AOL/Talktalk engineer has just installed a new router and phone socket for me and he said "Never switch it off", and went on to to say something about how routers might lose bandwidth(?) or something every time they're switched off.

This is a new one on me, so as a matter of interest did he literally mean never switch it off as in "never"?

What if I go on holiday? And is there a fire risk leaving it permanently on? Will my electricity bill go up a lot?

Won't the routers lifespan be seriously reduced if it's always on year after year?

Do other Bleeping members leave theirs on permanently?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,079 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 05:08 AM

An AOL/Talktalk engineer has just installed a new router and phone socket for me and he said "Never switch it off", and went on to to say something about how routers might lose bandwidth(?) or something every time they're switched off.

This is a new one on me, so as a matter of interest did he literally mean never switch it off as in "never"?

What if I go on holiday? And is there a fire risk leaving it permanently on? Will my electricity bill go up a lot?

Won't the routers lifespan be seriously reduced if it's always on year after year?

Do other Bleeping members leave theirs on permanently?

Mine is always on 24/7 and for the last 3 yrs , the only time you turn it off/on is if you need to reboot it .

If you go away from home for long extended periods , by all means turn it off at the power switch if you want.

Any appliance within a house can fail  , Fridge / Microwave / Dryer / TV ...etc etc but highly unlikely.

Thats why we all have Insurance is it not.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 05:27 AM

You got me thinking, Mick, so I just pulled a router out of the cupboard for a look. It's rated at 1A@12V or 12 W power consumption. Which equates to about 1kWH every 3.5 days or near enough 100kWH a year. You can work out what that costs you.

I have never heard about this 'losing bandwidth' situation but I would not have thought it was a major problem compared to the quality of your phone line and location relative to your exchange.

Some people only switch their's on when they want to use it, others, like myself, leave it on all the time. I do sometimes remember to switch it off if we are going away - but not always!

I've never heard of one going on fire but I suppose it is possible especially if it is not in a reasonably ventilated position. Again, with regards to the life of the router I don't think it makes much difference. If your's is supplied by your ISP then either way you will probably be offered a new one before the existing one dies !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users