Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS: Auto Disable DRAM/PCI Frequency, What does this Do?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Lxno78

Lxno78

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 03:26 AM

I want to know exactly what the Auto Disable DRAM/PCI Frequency option does in my BIOS (msi motherboard)?

When it is enabled, is it possible that it could slow system performance?

All I can find about it is this:

The Auto Disable DRAM/PCI Frequency option disables unused memory and device slots when enabled.

It sounds like something I would want disabled. I've read about computer settings that fail to recognize when something is in use, which would lead me to believe this BIOS setting could potential disable an in use memory or device slot.

(For example USB selective suspend failing to turn back the device port back on.)

Other people have asked about what it does, but no one seems to ever answer that question. I'm curious to know and would like to set my computer up for optimum performance instead of power saving (if it has anything to do with that).

Thanks in advance :).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 08:22 AM

You would probably need to contact American Megatrends technical support to try and get more information.  My guess is they won't be able to help you because their systems BIOS's are configured different for each and every manufacturer and then for each and every motherboard.  Here is my ' best guess ' on that setting.

The setting is 'enabled' by default.  And has no effect on performance.  And at boot time will scan peripherals (pci slots) and (dram memory slots) on bootup.  If no peripheral or memory is detected in a slot.. then it disables power to that slot. I would leave it set to Enabled.

and- Really you shouldn't be messing around in your bios unless you have been instructed to change something by the manufacturer.  Every motherboard is different and has different settngs.  The only things you may want to mess with is boot order and aperture size (which is only used for agp slots- outdated)

#3 Lxno78

Lxno78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 03:30 PM

Thank you. I'll leave it enabled. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users