Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mysterious problem!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ml22ai

ml22ai

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 12:04 AM

Hi

I've builded about ten computer since the late 90's and my latest computer boot for the first time about 3.5 years ago.

I've had my share of hardware related problems but this baffles me:

Suddenly after I installed a game which was not compatible with Win7 (I uninstalled it immediately) the computer wouldn't boot and since then:

- If I start it up cold it will not boot every now and then, the blue power LED lights up and the red HDD LED lights up but nothing else happens, the screens don't get any signal, no beep, no nothing. (When the computer really boots from cold on the first try the red HDD LED does not light up) To boot the computer I'll have to turn off the power (by pressing the power button for 4 sec), wait about 10 sec and then turn it on and it will boot.

- If I do a restart it will never boot, I'll have to turn off  the power and wait 10 sec to boot it "cold"

Last night my "normal" booting procedure didn't work. I tried two times but it wouldn't boot. Then I disconnected the power cord and switch off the main circuit breaker on the power supply and wait for about 10 sec, reconnected the power cord and turned on the computer and then it boot normally.

An other strange issue is that it seems the booting order had changed last time I checked BIOS and I hade a hard time correct it, might not be related to this problem.

Does anyone have any idea or had a similar problem that could help me fix this problem, I would be most greatful! 

HW Specs (it's not and have never been overclocked and all temperatures are really low)

M/B: Asus P8Z68-V Gen 3

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K

Ram: Corsair XMS3 PC10666 2x8GB

GPU: Asus GeForce GTS 450

S/C: Asus Xonar Essence STX

HDD: Intel 320 300 GB (OS)

Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB

Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB

PSU: Seasonic X-460

F/C: Lamptron PC5 V2 (4 fans are connected to it and runs at about half the speed at 6 volt)

DVD: Asus DRW-24B3LT

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 01:25 AM

To me, it sounds like the motherboard. That would explain the HDD and power lights. Seems to also be a common thing with those boards. Found this on Overclock.net...

Some of you may have been experiencing a double POST on your P8P67 series motherboard whereupon after powering on the system from a cold boot, the board will power on and then immediately reset itself before it actually POSTs and shows any display on the screen. I’ll explain the fix below and give some information about why this happens.

First, I would like to stress the importance of flashing the BIOS to the latest BIOS revision as listed on our support website,http://support.asus.com/download. You can access the ASUS EZ Flash tool from within the UEFI (advanced options, tools) to flash the BIOS from any removable device such as a USB flash drive.
From time to time we needed to implement full resets in order to maintain stability due to the architecture of the Sandy Bridge platform. For instance, the system may require one full reset when the PCH power has been cut during S5 power state. To fix the most common additional reset (double POST when powering on from off state), enter UEFI BIOS -> go to ‘Advanced’ tab -> go down to ‘APM’, press Enter -> enable the “Power on by PCIe.” function. Then press F10 to save & exit. After save & exit, let the system boot into Windows or other OS, then perform a proper shutdown: Start button -> Shut down. You will no longer have the double POST. We will fix this in an upcoming BIOS release.

and

Was having a problem with cold boots, would power of and on and off and on then finally post. I was almost positive it was my power supply because the same thing happened with my UD7 low and behold it was the setting highlighted by the cursor below.

Internal PLL Over-Voltage-Disabled , no more cold boot problems !!!

I am stressing this right now!!! If you are having cold boot up problems with system looping on and off, disable this and it will more than likely solve your problem, although it is sometimes needed for high 48+ multi clocks!

Try that. If you brick it, its not like you needed a new motherboard anyways, lol. :P

Sorry if I snap at you. I can't stand stupid for more than 5 minutes at a time.

#3 ml22ai

ml22ai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 05:51 AM

After flashing bios to the latest version every boot has work perfectly! Many thanx for all the help!

Edited by hamluis, 08 August 2015 - 04:36 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users