Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

So many glitches I don't know where to start

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 mrapino

mrapino

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:51 PM

Hello everyone, 

What a frustrating evening.  It is 12:23am, and I have been at this since 6pm.

If you require this knowledge, here is my PC build: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/mrapino/saved/yRQG3C

This computer is almost exactly 1 year old.  

I have had absolutely no major issues up to this point.

One the computer is running, everything SEEMS fine.

PROBLEM:

I usually sleep my PC.  It was asleep all weekend long.  I haven't touched it since Friday afternoon. 

I came into the office, turned the computer on, and worked all day. 

This morning, I made some updates to third party software.  Also, I've been updating Windows updates as they come out, in preparation for the Windows 10 upgrade.

At 6pm, I decided to restart my computer.  It restarted fine, and brought me to my login screen.  I have the login screen set with a PIN, and PASSWORD.  I usually use the pin.  So, I put my pin in, and the computer froze in the login screen.  The mouse still worked, and I could push the power button, so I clicked restart.  The computer wouldn't restart.  I had to hold the power button in, and hard shut down.  This cycle occurred 6-8 times.  

Then, I decided to try booting from the install dvd, and the recovery usb.  Neither helped.  

Then I decided to use the password login, instead of the pin.  This actually logged me in.  I immediately pushed the start key to search for something, and the computer froze on the start screen.  I had to do a hard shut down. 

I repeated this last step, and was logged in again, and I found out that after logging in, all of my start tasks (the startup programs in my notification task bar) took a LONG time to load.  They are usually all loaded within 30 seconds, but NOW the computer is sluggish and freezes up until the startup items load ... this probably takes a couple minutes or a bit more.  This is unusual, as I have 16GB RAM, and an SSD running my OS.

Okay ... after all of this craziness, once the startup items load, the computer seems to run fine. 

So, I began running tests.

First test ... Action Center - Hardware Troubleshooting.  A bunch of errors were fixed.  There is still one error that I can not figure out how to debug:

This error is: Problems Found - Hardware changes might not have been detected.

Does anyone know how I can find out what this is?

Since it was a hardware related error, I decided to check both of my hard drives at this point.  I have an SSD (120 GB) and HDD (1 TB).  Both came back with no errors.

Then I ran "sfc /scannow" This returned more errors.  Most of them were repaired, however, some could not be repaired.  These were:

2015-07-27 22:09:56, Info                  CSI    000004b3 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"utc.app.json" of Microsoft-Windows-Unified-Telemetry-Client, Version = 6.3.9600.17842, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

2015-07-27 22:09:56, Info                  CSI    000004b5 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:66{33}]"telemetry.ASM-WindowsDefault.json" of Microsoft-Windows-Unified-Telemetry-Client, Version = 6.3.9600.17842, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

I tried a few suggested fixes, but nothing is working. 

I have no idea if there are other crazy errors ... I looked in the event viewer and there's a ton of stuff happening.  I'll attached a few images.  (There are 4 images, but there were a ton more errors in the event viewer ... like A TON!)

Can anyone point me in the right direction.  I'd like to know how I can check every piece of hardware I am running.  I'd also like to run thorough diagnostics on the entire system ... hardware, software, etc... is all of this possible?

I have no clue how this happened so suddenly.

Please help!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mrapino

mrapino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 03:07 AM

UPDATE:

I did a non-destructive reinstall of Windows, which kept all of my settings, files, and programs intact.

RESULTS:

I did a "sfc /scannow" scan in the command prompt.  The results were better than before with "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

HOWEVER:

I did a hardware troubleshoot in the action center, and this yielded the same results: "Problems Found - Hardware changes might not have been detected."

It is now 4:05 am, and I have been at this since 6pm ... I need sleep.  

If anyone can point me in a good direction, I'd really really appreciate it.  

I'm looking for ways to diagnose all software and hardware issues.  Any professional diagnostic tools, methods, tricks of the trade ... I am desperate.  

I will restart the computer now to see if the startup/login/freezing and sluggishness has been fixed.  Then I am shutting down. 

I'll report back tomorrow. 

Cheers!

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:57 AM

Start with these free diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Then, let's focus on what's wrong with the computer - not what's in the error reports.

Error reports are tools for us to use, they may/may not be significant - that's why we look at the reports as a whole.

Please provide these reports for us to look at:

1)  Please provide this information (even though you're not having BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis (from the Pinned Topic at the top of the forum):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 mrapino

mrapino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 10:08 AM

Thank you for this info!  I received your message, and have scheduled some time to goes through all of your instructions.  I will be submitting my results within 48 hours. 

Thanks for the help!

#5 jayarelawler

jayarelawler

• Banned
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 11:48 AM

It's your hard drive failing.  You can temporarily fix this issue by running CHKDSK /R in an elevated command prompt, but the permanent fix is to replace the hard drive.  Cheers.

#6 mrapino

mrapino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 01:01 PM

I'm sorry Jayarlawler, but you can't possibly know that.  I'm not trying to be argumentative, but without any real data, you can't assess that it is a failing hard drive.  

Thanks for the reply, but I'll take my chances, and also do the system checks that Usasma requested. 

Cheers!

#7 jayarelawler

jayarelawler

• Banned
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 01:33 PM

Yeah you're right... corrupt system files that require a repair install, leaving the PC in sleep mode for extended periods of time and inability to repair system files using the SFC utility... that's definitely not your hard drive.  Do what you want, but it's your hard drive.  Ass.

#8 mrapino

mrapino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:14 PM

Jayarelawler:  :love4u:

#9 jayarelawler

jayarelawler

• Banned
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:43 PM

I'm sorry, but you can't possible heart me.  Just not possible.  Cheers.

#10 mrapino

mrapino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:44 PM

Okay, here is part of what you asked for.  

My temps have been 30-37C.

My memory, and drive scans returned no errors.

Here is my event viewer file.

Cheers!

Attached Files

#11 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:56 PM

If it is a dead HDD, its typical Seagate junk. But some other things I do see are...

-bad PSU. My PC went unstable when the 4 pin CPU power connector got burnt from the dirty power the TX PSU was supplying. 

-underpowered/old GPU. Couldn't cause the problem, but it is worth mentioning.

-Seagate HDD. Self-explanatory. Seagate crap.

So... what I suggest; unplug all plugs in the PC related to power and inspect the plugs and the slots on the components to see if they are brown, black, or burnt up. If nothing is like that, it could be internal. Either way, it sounds like the PSU. Although a dead HDD would not cause it to not boot into Windows, as its on the SSD, jayarelawler. 

Edited by TheN00bBuilder, 31 July 2015 - 08:57 PM.

Sorry if I snap at you. I can't stand stupid for more than 5 minutes at a time.

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 05:11 AM

If problems persist after a reinstall of Windows, then it's likely that it's something that the installations have in common.

Most often this is hardware, but it can be things like programs that you install also.

The hardware diagnostics are intended to help rule out the problems - rather than just replacing parts all willy-nilly (which I have done myself - it's not fun, and it's expensive).

The reports are the same thing - intended to help rule out the problems - in order to save you time and money.

FYI - I do this for a living and am also a Microsoft MVP (in this area of expertise) and have been for over 10 years (it's an annual award)

I'm late for work right now, but will try to get back to this this afternoon (at the latest, tomorrow morning).

Please also post the other set of reports (they're more detailed than the Admin log file is).

Also, let us know the results of the diagnostics that you have run already.  Every bit of info helps!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 mrapino

mrapino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 01:51 PM

Hey guys, 

I have a quick update for you.

So, I am able to log into Windows just fine now.  It was an issue with the credentials manager.  

Also, the issue with the startup items not loading and freezing the computer is also fixed ... during startup, the "Diagnostics Tracking Service" was lagging and crashing (found this in event viewer).  It was originally set to manual, and when I set it to automatic with delayed start, the startup issue went away. 

I ran multiple hardware diagnostics on my memory and hard drives.  All of the tests passed.  I used Seagate Seatools, Samsung Magician, SSD-Life, Ultimate Boot CD (usb bootable).  I ran S.M.A.R.T., chkdsk, short drive self test, and long generics tests, and they all came back with both hard drives being in good health with no errors. 

My memory scans came back with no errors.

I am looking at Speccy right now, and here are my TEMPS: 

CPU - Intel Core i7 4790K 4GHz is at 34C

MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard is at 32C

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Video Card is at 48C

Seagate Barracuda HDD is at 28C

and Samsung SSD 840 EVO is at 28C

I have a fan controller with all fans at half speed.

More info to come. 

Thanks for all your help!

Edited by mrapino, 02 August 2015 - 01:53 PM.

#14 mrapino

mrapino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 01:57 PM

Also, here are my HWMonitor Readings.

I am attaching a txt file.

BTW, it is 76 degees F in my office. 

Cheers!

Attached Files

Edited by mrapino, 02 August 2015 - 01:58 PM.

#15 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 02:34 PM

Oh yeah, something is REALLY screwy with the V-core. Points to me that the 4 pin CPU power plug shorted and lost connection or something. Can you inspect that for me?

Sorry if I snap at you. I can't stand stupid for more than 5 minutes at a time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users