Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[Discussion] Windows 10: Upgrade Path Experiences

• Please log in to reply
506 replies to this topic

#496 peterlonz

peterlonz

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 08 August 2016 - 06:43 PM

Wonder if you might post the download link for the Win 10 ISO download.

I seem always to end up utterly frustrated trying to locate anything on a MS site.

Hope your lengthy download completes; don't forget to check the accuracy.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#497 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 16 August 2016 - 11:01 AM

Off topic? Why? I thought it was precisely on topic --- my upgrade experience. Perhaps I misunderstood what the topic  actually is?

#498 Graphicool1

Graphicool1

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 01:41 PM

Hi Clayto

"I have had two long session on MS Chat.  I had to terminate when family arrived, but was being advised that due to very small SSD with little free storage a fresh re-install would be necessary, removing all my apps from C but leaving files (there arent many, they are now on external Flash and SD)--- and a disc image ISO would need to be downloaded. I already have the 1607 Image File on C, is this not the same thing? Anyway, I wanted to ask if it would be helpful to get a USB external DiskDrive, 100 GB plus? Could this be used instead of or in addition to the C drive, which after Anniversary update downloads now only has about 4 GB left. Or am I barking up the wrong tree here? 

The drives I have been looking at (Bipra) say select either NFTS or FAT32. Which would be best for an external drive intended to be mainly used as an extension of C, which is of course NFTS?"

This has very little to do with your experience of trying to install Windows10 on your PC, if indeed anything at all?. That's why it's off topic. It would seem that what you want is to know is what drives to buy. If this is the case just start your own topic.

I hope this helps

Edited by Graphicool1, 16 August 2016 - 01:51 PM.

#499 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:53 AM

No, what I am looking for is advice on installing Anniversary update on a small SSD machine by using the ISO method and a fresh install of Windows 10. This I understand will require additional storage, such as DVD, USB flash, or what about an external HDD? So it is entirely to do with installing W10 on my PC. As it happens I now have a 30GB Flash Drive for the purpose, but still get 'no can do' responses from Upgrade Assistant. As the W10 1607  ISO file is now on my computer (as well as the W10 Upgrade Folder) what is the next step? Clicking the Image File does not start the install.   

#500 suzieseller

suzieseller

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 20 September 2016 - 01:26 AM

My experience going from 8.1 64bit Pro on my toshiba L505-S5590 satallite LT (that came with Windows 7 originally and I uypdated to 8.0 Pro with my 64disc from 32/64 Pro 8 set purchased from MS), resulted in lots of issues that even MS Techs were unable to fix after hours of remote attempts. I quickly upgraded to free version of 10 which worked ok for about 2 weeks, other than ads as others here too have had and then one day just quit and would not reboot. Did not have the 10 disc or a backup so after about 3-4 weeks of trying I was finally able to get the 8Pro 32 bit disc to install and tried to upgrade to 8.1 from toshiba and from the ms site with no luck. This past weekend I finally got it to install the 64 bit 8.0 Pro disc but still not able to upgrade to 8.1, nor to 10 as I tried both several times.  Nothing happens whatsoever, no errors, its as though I never hit a key or clicked a button? Weird! 

Another very weird thing is that when I sign into my MS account and go to my device settings it shows me as having 10 Pro installed on my lap top? Was not able to see anything on other partition, that it neither allowed me to delete when I did the reinstalls.Tried to upload the Speccy image made this am, after installing it, but would not upload.

Then it blocked me from bleeping computer web site on itself, and on another xp pro dt device. Is win NT part of 8Pro disc set as it seems to be where the issues are rooted and I don't recall installing, or enabling it and believe I disabled it when first installed the 32, and 64 bit 8Pro versions?

Speccy results were very weird too as Ive never seen so many hardware items listed on any one device, and the wireless network specs were very lengthy, bizarre, and unfamiliar too. Using another vista dt currently to write this as my lap top looses my LAN internet connection as soon as i type bleepingcomputer.com into the search window. Other sites seem to work fine though, go figure?

Can anyone give me an idea what is going on, or where to begin to unravel this tangled ball of yarn? Arrrghh!

Thanks in advance for anything I might try.

Not sure if this is the right forum so please redirect my post if needed.:)

#501 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,555 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 21 September 2016 - 10:59 AM

If you want 8.1 you can use your 8 key with the 8.1 install disk you can create with the Media Creation Tool or you can do a clean install of Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool as you have an activated Windows 10. Be sure to backup all your data including your browser bookmarks before doing the clean install.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8ISO     Pick your Pro Version.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

Here is a guide on doing a clean install of Windows 8. The same guide can be used for Windows 10

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/ss/windows-8-clean-install-part-1.htm

#502 NateDoggUK

NateDoggUK

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 12:23 PM

My experiences upgrading to Windows 10 Pro on the ~180 machines in by business was of a relatively painless (if time consuming process), but what I'm left with leaves a little to be desired in terms of network performance and downtime. We performed the process manually on a per machine basis as my company does not have and can't afford any streamlined deployment method.

I'm left with MANY intermittent issues that have appeared since the upgrades. Group Policy is randomly failing to apply on machines, users home folders aren't pulled through from ADUC properly and they are forced to restart before it applies. Users are regularly logging on to be greeted with temporary profiles which results in us having to delete their profile and remove entries from the Registry.

Updates can take a LONG time to be processed on the client machines, frequently tens of minutes and often when an update has been applied the day before when you turn on your machine it'll sit on the now familiar blue screen with spinning white circles, again for many minutes.

We've had to change several things in Group Policy to prevent things like the machines sharing updates to the internet, turning off MS Telemetry.

Constant Start Menu issues in that no single one user has a complete start menu, different users are missing various tiles/shortcuts yet all are pulled from the same place and applied in the same method.

The Anniversary update is only on two machines as a test as it changed the Start Menu so drastically it's giving users access to things we thought we'd suppressed. Additionally our AV Suite (Kaspersky) was totally incompatible with it and required a full update of the whole suite including on our AV server for us to be able to deploy the client to workstations.

Log on (and log off) times on the domain are unreal, and can take minutes.

every single machine has errors and warnings in their Event Logs with DCom, Group Policy and even issues with the Event Loggins Service itself!

Myself and colleagues loathe the MS "Settings" menus rather than just Control Panel which we all default to anyway, but this is really just a niggle.

From a user perspective, most if not all of them prefer it from a GUI and operational perspective. That said, for the first month or two we were inundated with "Ever since I got Windows 10..." tickets and even now still get them.

We're still discovering many minor features that simply don't work as they used to or were totally removed from the OS. The last few months of my working life have been taken up a good 50-75% by firefighting these teething issues, most of which I've yet to fully resolve or even understand.

I have since installed a couple of machines on my domain with windows 10 from scratch and the performance difference is really very good indeed. 90% of your machines are i5 Intels with 4-8 GB Ram and are certainly more than capable from a workstation perspective.

All in all; Meh another Windows Upgrade. From what I know now I should've just installed everything from scratch and taken the time to do so.

#503 Jambopk

Jambopk

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:02 AM

The cool thing about Windows 10 and even about Windows 8 - 8.1 was that it was compatible for Desktop - Laptop and for mobile phones as well.

#504 shreyash11

shreyash11

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 27 August 2017 - 10:29 AM

undefined\iphlpsvc this is the problem iam getting in my pc plz give me some instructions about this

#505 flash900

flash900

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:48 AM

For more than a month Microsoft would not let me download the latest big Win 10 update on my upgraded W520.

I finally made an appointment with a tech at the local Microsoft mall store. He, too, was unable to download the update. He told me I would have to leave my laptop for three or four times because a fresh install could take many hours.

As an alternative, he said I could pay $150 and go to the top of the list. I would still have to leave my laptop.

I laughed and declined his offer.

As I was leaving, he told me that Microsoft was issuing the update in "waves" -- and perhaps my wave hadn't arrived yet.

I took my Thinkpad and left. For the next ten days, I again tried, unsuccessfully, to download Win 10, version 1709.

Then, on Nov. 16, I got an automatic link saying my update was ready.

It took two tries, but the update seems to have downloaded seamlessly. The issues I was having with my cursor jumping around seem about 75 percent solved.

I still have a question: When I updated last year to Win 10, I seem to have lost the Thinkpad software that controlled the sensitivity of my Trackpoint and other adjustments. Now I am left with having to use the Microsoft software to adjust the sensitivity of my Trackpoint.

What Thinkpad software is available to control sensitivity of the Trackpoint that is compatible with Win 10?

Thanks.

Edited by flash900, 18 November 2017 - 11:49 AM.

#506 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:52 AM

It took two tries, but the update seems to have downloaded seamlessly. The issues I was having with my cursor jumping around seem about 75 percent solved.

I still have a question: When I updated last year to Win 10, I seem to have lost the Thinkpad software that controlled the sensitivity of my Trackpoint and other adjustments. Now I am left with having to use the Microsoft software to adjust the sensitivity of my Trackpoint.

What Thinkpad software is available to control sensitivity of the Trackpoint that is compatible with Win 10?

Thanks.

Have you gone to your manufacturer's support pages for your machine to see if they have drivers for this device either for Windows 10 or Windows 8?   If they do, then download and install it.

Over time, when I have encountered machines that are "being difficult" about getting a major feature update via the usual Windows Update mechanism (and it does happen), I encourage people to follow these instructions for Updating Windows 10 using the Windows 10 ISO file.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#507 flash900

flash900

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 18 November 2017 - 12:01 PM

Thanks.

Have you gone to your manufacturer's support pages for your machine to see if they have drivers for this device either for Windows 10 or Windows 8?   If they do, then download and install it.

Over time, when I have encountered machines that are "being difficult" about getting a major feature update via the usual Windows Update mechanism (and it does happen), I encourage people to follow these instructions for Updating Windows 10 using the Windows 10 ISO file.

Thanks, and that's good advice.

I HAVE successfully updated to version 1709.

I'm now looking for any Thinkpad software that might help me control the sensitivity of my Trackpoint. To replace the Thinkpad software for my W520 that I seem to have lost when I updated last year to Win 10.

All I have now is Lenovo Solution Center, which doesn't seem to allow me to make any adjustments.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users