Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building new microATX pc for office use.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 voltrex

voltrex

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:13 PM

Hi, 

I have asked here a question few weeks ago about upgrading a cheap small PC .

But after checking the prices i have came to a conclusion it will be a better choice  to buy a new PC based on microATX and i would like to hear your opinion about this build. 

while i might have good knowledge of high end computers, i have no experience dealing with cheap simple computers. 

here is what i could come up with:

AMD sempron X4 3850 $48

ASUS AM1M-A  A1 microATX   $55 

SSD 128Gb $70 

WD Green $65  

G Skill  2x2gb  DDR3  1333  $50

(OLD)   450W PSU 

Antec MicroATX case  $55   

(prices are at the local store and not important) 

This PC must work well with Office,Browsing, some random apps. 

the new PC must be blazing fast to justify the upgrade and effort.  

I have now:

Pentium X2 

2 GB ram

500gb HDD 

Thank you. 

Edited by voltrex, 27 July 2015 - 04:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:18 PM

G'day mate and welcome to Bleeping Computer forums! The above listed specifications will sufficiently work well with office and Web browsing as they do not require a whole lot of CPU processing power, and the SSD will make the system overall snappy and responsive. Also you may have forgotten to include the Ram in that list, a minimum of 4GB will more than sufficient for the task.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 voltrex

voltrex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:24 PM

Thank you, 

But do you think the AMD X4 1.3/1.6 Ghz  CPU will be a good upgrade over the Intel Pentium X2   2.8Ghz?

Edited by voltrex, 27 July 2015 - 04:25 PM.

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:45 PM

Thank you, 
But do you think the AMD X4 1.3/1.6 Ghz  CPU will be a good upgrade over the Intel Pentium X2   2.8Ghz?

The CPU upgrade will be a lot better then the current Pentium as it has 4 cores which will run more smoothly in office based applications and Web browsing.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 10:13 PM

The CPU upgrade will be a lot better then the current Pentium as it has 4 cores which will run more smoothly in office based applications and Web browsing.

I've heard people having problems with the cheap AMD Sempron quad cores as daily drivers (they were using them in HTCP/set top boxes and tried browsing for a little while). Apparently the single thread performance is so weak from them that most regular programs struggle. It's better then the Celerons for multi threaded things like gaming, but outside of that.... they really are the what they're worth. A Celeron is a better option for daily things like that, but there's the draw back that the boards cost more for them. 

Actually there's a really good chance that Pentium out performs it for daily stuff already depending on what model it actually is. If the "x2" is in reference to the core2duo that runs at 2.8Ghz then it is blatantly more powerful. uhh see here for what I mean. 

Edited by SEANIA, 27 July 2015 - 10:20 PM.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#6 voltrex

voltrex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:52 PM

I have found out that a AMD Athlon 5350  2.05 Ghz can be overclocked to 3.1 Ghz
http://valid.canardpc.com/xfs78d

which will fix the difference, i do wonder how it will perform over time but for $50 i don't care. 

Also will be a difference in RAM single channel vs Dual channel? 

Like 1 X 4Gb ram vs 2 X 2Gb ram .

thanks, 

#7 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 12:26 AM

Dual channel doubles the RAM bandwidth, but it won't make a difference for what you're doing. RAM bandwidth only seems to effect server emulation type stuff anymore. 

The benefit is that if one stick goes bad it'd be easier to troubleshoot since a working one is still installed.

Said business, browsing, ect didn't think you were going to OC it. Would reason the 55$ board as most AM1 boards are 35$. Doesn't it negate the point though? Most people choose those chips because they sip power at only 25watts and thus make great living media/HTCP CPUs. Can leave them on for ages without noticing a power bill bump.  Also there a chance the chip was tested unstable at the 2.05 Ghz the Athlon is set to and that's why it was demoted to a Sempron. There is no guarantee it'd even hit that, let alone 3Ghz. 

The Celeron G1820 would be doing all that at stock speeds on a 55$ board. I mean that's pretty much what they're made for is cheap daily computers. It's rated at 55 watts instead of 25, but I doubt that after the OC on the Sempron it'll be much better. 

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#8 voltrex

voltrex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 12:37 AM

The Celeron is a dual core CPU and similar to Pentium.  also i see only I3 in stores meaning the Celeron is obsolete. 

I am looking for the cheapest yet fast enough build to justify the upgrade. 

And i have read a lot of reviews about the AMD Athlon and they are very positive. 

so as long as it will work, i think this is my best option for now. 

Btw can you commander me a microATX case?   like a normal case but smaller, and not one of those console like cases.

#9 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 01:58 AM

You really don't know low end hardware do you? Not meant as a insult. That is brand new CPU and runs on their latest desktop socket, it's not outdated. Here's how the current Intel naming convention works for desktop CPU right now.

Their Celeron, Pentium, and i3 line all use the same exact CPU. Yes, i3s are dual cores. 

Celerons are clocked the lowest and have a few instruction sets disabled that professional software would use. (keeps businesses from being cheap and building a Celeron mainframe).

Pentiums have most their instructions sets enabled and are clocked a bit higher. 

i3s are clocked the highest and have hyper threading enabled on them.

Intel use to make a single core Celeron that used the same chip as the Pentium/i3 but had the extra core disabled. They stopped making that a couple gens ago though.  

Atoms are Intels supper power efficient CPUs. They use entirely different architecture and are meant to be in HTCP servers, Netbooks, tablets, ect and performance reflects that as such. They make a desktop version for 90$ I think.

The reason you never really see Celeron CPUs in store is because- 

the Celeron is obsolete

People think that. As the Pentium and Celeron naming convention have been around since the 90's people think anything with that name attached to it must be old to. So low end manufactures cut corners to squeeze a i3 into their products to avoid people thinking their stuff is old.

The current gen Athlon you're referring to gets good reviews because it is just as good as what the 90$ Atom Intel is marketed at doing, but for half the price. Well I mean, close enough to it. It also makes a great cheeaappppp gaming CPU as it's the cheapest quad core you can buy. As a lot of games of a "quad core" minimum requirement to launch now even if you have a dual core that technically has enough or more juice. Everyone who I've known to use it as a gaming CPU claim it sucks for regular stuff.

Btw can you commander me a microATX case?   like a normal case but smaller, and not one of those console like cases.

The Apex MJ-16 is as small is it gets for normally laid out cases. That one is extra slim as it cuts out the, normally never used, extra height above the expansion slots in favor of a smaller case. It also uses a SFX form factor PSU (that it comes with) to maintain standard case layout. Unlike my favorite compact case the Coolermaster Elite 361 which takes a regular sized PSU, but moves it internally to the front of the case to achieve having no extra height above the expansion slots. (I love supper compact cases that still use regular sized parts)

If you want a Micro ATX case the uses regular sized everything, they don't really get any smaller past a point. I mean the Antec VSK-3000, SilverStone PS08B, and FractalDesign Core 1000 all use the same basic design. Only trading a quarter of a inch here or there with one another. All three of those are well respected and well known case makers to. Could refer to them as "main brand" if you wanted to XD 

#10 voltrex

voltrex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 02:27 AM

Okay got it, i really have no idea what is going on with the market lately .

Amd and Intel have the habit to rename all their products every couple of years, so i get lost...    ( Such as ATI and Nvidia and their little scam with gpu names)  

But... i don't see Celeron in the store, only Pentium 3.3Ghz $78  and I3 3.7Ghz  $150  

Also how much will it add in performance over my existing Pentium 2.8Ghz?   

$150 for dual core vs $75 for a quad core.      

what do you think of the AMD A8-7600 Quad 3.1Ghz?

#11 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 03:06 AM

Yeah... computer stores don't tend to keep them on the shelf. More of a "to order" item.

Also how much will it add in performance over my existing Pentium 2.8Ghz?   

Can you specify the model? Is it the Core2Duo I pointed out or something else? There is a lot of variance. Might even be referring to a single core hyper threaded Pentium 4 from 2005. 

what do you think of the AMD A8-7600 Quad 3.1Ghz?

Oh yes. That's a really nice CPU, er uh "APU" for daily use. Anymore and it's be overkill, any less and there's stuff you might start to not be able to do. The CPU side of it is enough on its own to justify 75$. Actually they do sell just a CPU only variant. The CPU side of it can be bought along as the Athlon X4 860K and the FX 4350. They're very competent CPUs, and I know video creators, gamers, and visual artists on budgets all love to use the variants (the variants are clocked higher) in their budget builds.

The GPU side is good enough to do anything day to day. Even watch 4k videos if you'd like. More specifically it's a cut down version of the A10-7850ks GPU (uses same 4 CPU cores as well, clocked higher). Its GPU is a variant of one of their dedicated GPUs. It shows as the A8-7600 does around 600 GFLOPs. For comparison the integrated GPU on the i3 does around 300 GFLOPS, the A10-7850k does 850 GFLOPs (1000 if OCed), and a 100$ dedicated GPU does 1000 GFLOPs. Oh and the Nvidia 9800GT/GTX from a awhile ago that is/was supper popular did 650 GFLOPs. 

I really like it to say the least (if I didn't already clue you into it). 

Amd and Intel have the habit to rename all their products every couple of years, so i get lost...    ( Such as ATI and Nvidia and their little scam with gpu names)  

It's AMD and Nvidia now. AMD bought out ATI in 2006 for 5.6 billion USD. They like to rename either because they run out of sequence for their naming convention, or because they make a huge leap in GPU power and want to define a new generation of cards. Sometimes it's done for legal or other business related reasoning though. Like Nvidia skipping the 800 series line of naming for their desktop GPUs because their laptop variants got caught up a naming scheme ahead for some reason, or like when AMD bought out ATI and they started the "HD" series naming scheme. 

#12 voltrex

voltrex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 03:34 AM

I have the Intel Pentium  E5500 dual core 2.8Ghz.    

Ps. the scam with names is to confuse buyers,    now they sell old CPU with a  new name making every one think this is brand new cpu and not a re branded .

This is a known advertisement scam . 

#13 Charlie_Delta1

Charlie_Delta1

• Banned
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 03:40 AM

Even a low-end video card will speed-up overall performance.

#14 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 04:38 PM

Even a low-end video card will speed-up overall performance.

Actually....that hasn't been true for a few years. Over the past 5 years or so integrated graphics have gotten much better. To the point where even if computers do have a dedicate card, they will switch to the integrated GPU during regular browsing/use. In fact, integrated GPUs actually benchmark much higher in 2D performance than any dedicated card I've seen. In part just due to the lower latency of DDR3 that 2D graphics like. For daily stuff, integrated GPUs are better then dedicated cards now. 

I have the Intel Pentium  E5500 dual core 2.8Ghz. 

Ok, yeah it is a core2duo from 2010, just marked down to a Pentium like with the i3/Pentium nowadays. Anyways the A8-7600 is over 200% more powerful. The i3 is slightly higher but not by much. View here if you'd like. However the i3s single thread performance is higher as it does all that off two cores instead of four. 

Ps. the scam with names is to confuse buyers,    now they sell old CPU with a  new name making every one think this is brand new cpu and not a re branded .

This is a known advertisement scam . 

Umm... what? You could maybe say that when they were doing the Pentium 4 line, but all their newer stuff are different chips with every refresh. Granted since 2010 the boost has only been about 20% every year in architecture improvements. What CPUs are you referring to?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users