Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

kernel removal

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:08 PM

I removed about 27 previous kernels in Ubuntu using Synaptics which cleared about 2.5GB. I was wondering why Ubuntu does not automatically remove all but the previous 2 or is that not even possible.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 493 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:19 AM

I'm assuming this is from automatic upgrades?  One may think that kernels are just like other programs, but they are not.  What if the last 2 or 5 kernels downloaded were bad?  MFGs do the best they can, but since they can't guarantee the hardware the kernel runs on is consistent (from user to user), it's safer to not automatically delete older kernels.  Especially since the user can do that easily enough;  you just need to remember to look for it.

Also in grand scheme of TB consumer drives, 2.5G isn't terribly alot.  If it's in a 3G partition, it's important :)

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 09:02 AM

Thanks for the reply. They were from auto updates. I cleaned all but the last three. You are right, 2.5GB is not that much in the scheme of things.

#4 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 09:10 AM

Here is a good document from Ubuntu on removal of kernels. It also has a section on how to do an automatic removal of older kernels. Use caution when using the automatic removal method.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users