Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free AntiVirus?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 MamaBear2015

MamaBear2015

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 03:33 PM

I'm low income ( low- not poverty ) and was using Avast! AV for several years, but some things were getting through it and causing a real mess. So I asked in another forum and was told to get rid of it and get Avira.

I've had it for awhile now but the free version pops ads all the time and doesn't offer full coverage, and it's very hard to configure, from what I can see. I haven't been able to get into my ISP's FTP in a month because something appears to be blocking it, even though I enabled it OK in Windows Firewall, so I suspect maybe Avira or MalwareBytes started doing it, and cant find out But I can FTP to every other site but my ISP ( cant maintain my small part time business website ) and my ISP has exhausted themselves trying to help me find out why.

So what AV program can I get that's REALLY free - works fully, and will protect my Win 7 PC without screwing anything up for me?

I'm not even sure how to uninstall Avira now - there doesn't appear to be a way, except maybe via Windows Uninstall?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:30 PM

AVG Seems to be working very well for me but Panda is scoring higher in most area's and don't nag.  I am using Panda also on another pc.  Avira is supposed to be very good also so maybe you have other issues.  To get rid of Avira-take a look in the Programs list from the Start menu and see if there is an Un-installer included.  And where did you get Avira from, always get it from the Source if possible.  Here is a link to a post here at bc.com from one of the great Moderators here.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/546833/trying-to-uninstall-avira-free-antivirus-on-vista/#entry3467516

Here is a quote from pcmag.com:

"Permanently disabled network connectivity on one test system."

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2425954,00.asp

Gotta go be back soon.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,296 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:45 PM

That pcmag article is old so it might not apply now.  There is a lot of ways to uninstall online like Revo etc. but you might get some better advice here soon.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,646 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:45 PM

You have to FTP into your ISP to get there AV package?

Panda Cloud is free and light on system resources. Avira may have a uninstaller on there website you could download and use after removing it via the add/remove programs panel. I think you can disable the popup/nag feature in settings in Panda. Havent used it since it came out. Will a AV fully protect your PC. No, Panda or any other.

Get it here:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/panda_cloud_antivirus.html

The Panda website links to cnet download.com which uses a wrapper that bundles garbage offers during the install. Avoid. I thought they had stopped that?

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

#5 MamaBear2015

MamaBear2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:47 PM

I found this, but cant decide. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2388652,00.asp

Is seems to be saying that unless you pay, you don't get much, sometimes even if you do pay.

#6 MamaBear2015

MamaBear2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:49 PM

You have to FTP into your ISP to get there AV package?

No, but something has halted my ability to use my FTP with my ISP for maintaining my website, for a month now and we cant figure out what it is. Being WIn 7 Firewall is set to allow my Altap Salamander program to pass ( that I use for FTP ) I can only imagine it might be Avira blocking it, and I cant even find settings for it.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:53 PM

So what AV program can I get that's REALLY free - works fully, and will protect my Win 7 PC without screwing anything up for me?

Microsoft Security Essentials is free and does not include nagging pop ups but you need to supplement it with an effective anti-malware program.

If you have not done so already, you may want to read:
Choosing an Anti-Virus Program
Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,646 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:54 PM

You may have to enable Passive Mode in the FTP settings

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,296 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 05:24 PM

Hope not to confuse things, but before you download anything else, you could try this.  Suggested by people here and I have had great success with it.

http://unchecky.com/

Still need to get from a good site though as it might not be able to Uncheck everything.

Edited by pcpunk, 27 July 2015 - 05:26 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 MamaBear2015

MamaBear2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 05:50 PM

Microsoft Security Essentials is free and does not include nagging pop ups but you need to supplement it with an effective anti-malware program.

Cool. I'm registered with MalwareBytes and use that. But I've heard Microsoft aint so hot.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:09 PM

But I've heard Microsoft aint so hot.

No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear and it takes time for them to be reported, samples collected, analyzed, and tested by anti-virus researchers before they can add a new threat to database definitions.

Unfortunately, the most effective protection software is going to come with a pricetag.

But if you want free, ease of use and no nagging marketing schemes in the form of pop-ups, your choices are limited. MSE is as good as any other free anti-virus program...it was originally developed as a scaled-down version of and replacement for Windows OneCare (discontinued on September 29th 2009) and was originally aimed at users who either could not or did not want to pay for anti-virus and anti-malware software.

#12 MamaBear2015

MamaBear2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:53 PM

But I've heard Microsoft aint so hot.

No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear and it takes time for them to be reported, samples collected, analyzed, and tested by anti-virus researchers before they can add a new threat to database definitions.

Unfortunately, the most effective protection software is going to come with a pricetag.

But if you want free, ease of use and no nagging marketing schemes in the form of pop-ups, your choices are limited. MSE is as good as any other free anti-virus program...it was originally developed as a scaled-down version of and replacement for Windows OneCare (discontinued on September 29th 2009) and was originally aimed at users who either could not or did not want to pay for anti-virus and anti-malware software.

Thanks. I should look into it then. Especially in conjuction with MWB.

I've also heard that Microsoft is making Windows 10 upgrade available at no charge, for Win 7 users. Wow. I guess they've made their money and are being nice in that regard.

Edited by MamaBear2015, 27 July 2015 - 06:55 PM.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:23 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

I've also heard that Microsoft is making Windows 10 upgrade available at no charge, for Win 7 users....

Yes...There are several discussion topics about that in this forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users