Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Edit PC name

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 kkoz83

kkoz83

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 03:11 PM

Hi everybody, how are you doing today?

My friend has a Dell laptop running Windows 7 Home and needs help changing the PC name.  I attached a picture of what needs to be changed - just remove "Jared" from attached example.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 03:23 PM

Take a look here: Change your computer name - Windows Help

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:25 PM

Hi kkoz83 :)

What you want to change here isn't the computer name, but the userprofile name. There's a way to do it, but it can be quite long and complicated. The easiest way to be honest is just to create a new user account with the name you want. If you don't want to go throught this process, let me know and I'll post a tutorial you can follow to change the userprofile name, but be aware that if you aren't used to play around with Windows, you might find it a bit hard.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 kkoz83

kkoz83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:44 PM

Please post the long tutorial Aura :)

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:03 PM

I suggest you to create a System Restore point and/or back-up your Registry first :)

Good luck!

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/147545-user-profile-folder-change-user-account-folder-name.html

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:17 PM

Instructions:

To create a restore point
  1. Open System by clicking the Start button , right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties.
  2. In the left pane, click System protection. ...
  3. Click the System Protection tab, and then click Create.
  4. In the System Protection dialog box, type a description, and then click Create.

Registry Backup

Windows 7

1. Click Start, type regedit.exe in the search box, and then press Enter. ...
  2. In Registry Editor, click File > Import.
  3. In the Import Registry File box, select the location where you saved the backup copy to, click to select the backup file, and then click Open.

or you can use ERUNT   download and install and then simply follow the prompts

(please read the README.TXT for more information.)

Of the two choices for registry backup, Erunt is probably the better of the two.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:45 PM

ERUNT isn't fully compatible with Windows 7, there's issues. Tweaking.com Registry Backup is the preferred tool to use now.

C0Ks0IS.pngTweaking.com Registry Backup - Backup Mode
Follow the instructions below to take a backup of your Registry using Tweaking.com Registry Backup.
  • Download Tweaking.com Registry Backup, and extract the content of the .zip file (right-click on it and select Extract all...);
  • From there, a folder will open. In it, right-click on TweakingRegistryBackup.exe and select Spcusrh.pngRun as Administrator;
    fzqXMlK.png
  • You can change the Backup Name at the bottom for anything you want (something meaningful if possible);
  • Once done, click on the Backup Now button to take a backup of your Registry and let it complete;
  • If it completes successfully, it'll be written at the bottom of the window after;
    vxLP44b.png
  • You can now close Tweaking.com - Registry Backup;
Note: By default, the backups will be stored in the %windir%\RegBackup folder. You can change that location under the Settings tab of the program.

unite_blue.png

#8 kkoz83

kkoz83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 12:08 PM

Hi, sorry for the long delay but I could not get access to that computer.  I decided to try the easy way 1st.  How do I transfer everything from current username to the new one?  I attached a pic of the current users.  Will the lock icon be an issue when transferring?

Attached Files

Edited by kkoz83, 07 August 2015 - 12:09 PM.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 12:09 PM

If you are going to transfer the files from one user to another using an Admin account, it shouldn't be an issue no. Basically, you just access that userprofile, and transfer the content of every personal folders, such as Desktop, Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos, etc. in the folder you want to save them.

unite_blue.png

#10 kkoz83

kkoz83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 12:22 PM

So following this should work?

• Click Start, Control Panel, then User Accounts
  • Click Manage Another Account
  • Type a new account name you want to use then click Next
  • Select Computer administrator then click Create Account
  • Click Start, click the arrow to the right of Shut Down, and click Switch user
  • Click Start, click the arrow to the right of Shut Down, and click Switch user
  • Click Start, Control Panel, then Folder Options
  • Click View, place a checkmark next to Show hidden files and folders, and uncheck Hide protected operating system files
  • Click OK
  • Hit the Windows Key + E at the same time then navigate to C:\users\Jared-Jessica (assuming this is the profile you want to fix)
  • Holding down the Ctrl key, left click each entry in the folder EXCEPT for the following, if they exist:

Ntuser.dat
Ntuser.dat.log
Ntuser.ini

• Right click and select Copy
  • Left click on the new user account name you created
  • Right click on the screen to the right and select Paste
  • If asked, replace the existing folder/file
  • Close any open windows, reboot your computer, and log into the new user name
  • Check to see if your computer is working properly

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 12:28 PM

I wouldn't do this to be honest, since permissions and ownership might be messed up in the process. Personally, I would just go inside every folders of the old userprofile (Desktop, Documents, Music, etc.) copy everything in it, then go in the same folder in the new userprofile and paste everything.

unite_blue.png

#12 kkoz83

kkoz83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 12:41 PM

Okay, I'll try next time :)

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,116 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 12:42 PM

Fix a corrupted user profile, Win 7 - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users