Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win7 explorer.exe constant crash loop even in Safe Mode - HELP!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JaySTROKE

JaySTROKE

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 03:09 PM

Hi Forum,

Just joined today in the hope that someone here has the knowledge to assist me in a really annoying issue.

4 days ago my pc decided that explorer.exe would crash constantly after booting. The only function I can enter is Task Manager. This happens even in safe mode. This issue has effectively rendered my pc useless.

I have installed Windows on another hard drive in order to get me back online, in the hope that I can fix my original install without having to reinstall all of my software and transfer everything over.

Now I have been trying to fix this issue for a few days now and I have searched and searched for a suitable solution. To date nothing has worked.

I have replaced the following files (from the installation DVD):

Explorer.exe, ExplorerFrame.dll and shell32.dll

I have also done the following:

Deleted the explorer and iexplorer keys entirely within HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution.options

I copied explorer.exe to system32 folder

and most recently followed a thread on this forum http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/482595/win7-explorerexe-crashrestartcrash/ without success.

Any guidance would really be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jaystroke

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:40 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#3 JaySTROKE

JaySTROKE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 03:57 AM

Hi Louis,

Thanks for the reply.

#4 JaySTROKE

JaySTROKE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 04:13 AM

Sorry still getting used to the forum.

I downloaded and copied MiniToolbox and Speccy to my affected hard drive install. Tried to launch (run) both applications from the task manager. Neither will run. I get an Application Error - The Application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application.

Because Explorer.exe is constantly crashing, I can't really access anything except Task Manager.

I installed Speccy on my working install and the information contained will be the same for the hardware, although the broken install is running Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/WCDNEStwzgT8GxXo1vWg01B

I am basically hotswapping hard-drives in my machine and using the working install to access the broken one to try and fix the problem.

Hope this makes sense,

Thanks again,

J

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users