Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop turning off every 30 minutes.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dxp96

dxp96

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 01:39 PM

It turns off every 30 minutes exact on the dot. No matter what screen im in. I have to put it in sleep mode and wake it every 30 minutes just so it won't shutdown. I think there is something wrong with my bios and cmos, cause my time on the laptop is also off. It's not overheating, nothing wrong with the battery, ive already tried refreshing, reinstalling OS, the fan works fine. I have an Acer Aspire E1. Windows 8. My BIOS options don't have anything about power settings. It also makes a single click noise whenever I start it up.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mauguilar

mauguilar

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 01:54 PM

CHECK THE HARD DRIVE, MIGHT BE GOING BAD

#3 dxp96

dxp96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 02:08 PM

The hard drive ? Would something like it coming out of place make my computer shutdown every 30 minutes ? It honestly sounds like a motherboard problem to me but im willing to check anyway.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 05:21 PM

If it is on the exact 30 minute mark, it's got to be a setting in Control Panel somewhere. I don't think there is anything in the BIOS that will enable this, at least I can't remember ever seeing this in all the BIOS' I have been in.

my time on the laptop is also off.

Yup. Your CMOS (BIOS) battery is most likely drained; use your laptop's manual to see how to access the CMOS battery and replace it. That may solve your problem. If you don't have the manual or it's not explained in it, do a search for your make & model lap and add "replace CMOS battery" and you probably will come up with a hit on how to do it.

Edited by ranchhand_, 27 July 2015 - 05:23 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 dxp96

dxp96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 10:00 PM

Isn't it suppose to give me an error message if the CMOS battery needs to be replaced ? Im pretty sure you're right though. Also my clock time has been off as well, seems CMOS is the culprit. But can you explain how my laptop can stay on for hours (when i can get it to stay on).

Edited by dxp96, 28 July 2015 - 10:05 PM.

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,501 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 05:51 PM

...apologies for my late reply, I was out of town at scheduled meetings.

Isn't it suppose to give me an error message if the CMOS battery needs to be replaced

No, there is no generated error message that I am aware of.

But can you explain how my laptop can stay on for hours

Remember that the BIOS has a pre-installed default config; IOW, a user can tweak the BIOS for overclocking, boot order, etc. and the battery holds those settings. Once the battery fails everything reverts to the factory settings (default settings) that will enable your computer to boot but not have the custom settings you once had anymore. That way the computer will always boot. Otherwise, you would have a bricked computer and have to buy a new one, or replace the motherboard. Not a nice scenario!

If you are having additional problems besides the BIOS settings, post back.

Edited by ranchhand_, 03 August 2015 - 05:52 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#7 mr-snoopy

mr-snoopy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 28 January 2017 - 12:01 PM

ufff, i have the same problem, after 30min on power adapter and battery doesnt metter. win 8.1.

in windows also in bios. memory replace with other, get hdd out, wifi card...the same thing..

H E L P !!!!!!

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2017 - 01:07 PM

Replace the current CMOS battery.  Then boot into BIOS, elect default settings, ensure that hard drive is 1st boot option, save changes.

Louis

#9 mr-snoopy

mr-snoopy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 28 January 2017 - 03:32 PM

battery is good- 3V. but i replaced old cpu (celeron 1005m) and resolved problem.

i bought new one (i5 3230m) but guess it doesnt supported by this chipset..and thats why laptop resrats after 30mins :(

thanks on fast answer! cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users