Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

updating a new win8 recover

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wpmac

wpmac

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:47 PM

I just recovered my system back to oem win 8. Is it best to let Microsoft update automatically, or is it safe to manually install updates? I did this back in April and the updates somehow got corrupted and have to recover again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:49 PM

Hi wpmac :)

Personally, I would let Windows install all the "Important Updates" automatically, as these are security-related updates and it's important to have them released as soon as they are released. As for the "Recommended Updates", you can install them manually. Basically, check which ones can be installed, leave out the drivers/hardware updates (it can be dangerous to install them via Windows Updates) and you can install the rest. Other that right now I suggest you to install all the "Important Updates" you can, then head to the Windows Store to upgrade to Windows 8.1, and finally install all the new "Important Updates" that comes with Windows 8.1 after that :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 wpmac

wpmac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 01:00 PM

Thanks for the reply. The last time I recovered my system, I manually updated the important and critical updates and found later that lots of them failed to install and prevented me from the win 10 update. I read somewhere that manually updating can cause problems due to not being installed in the correct order.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 01:02 PM

If you ever have Windows Update issues, let me know and I'll assist you with them and we'll make the Windows 10 reservation update work as well.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 wpmac

wpmac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 01:08 PM

Thanks so much Aura. I am now waiting for the auto updates to happen. There are 158 important updates ready, but as of yesterday afternoon, they are not being auto installed. So far, win 8 is running ok and I hesitate at manual updating. I will continue to wait.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 01:14 PM

Depending on your connection and the number of updates you have to install, it can take a while. Patience is key here :) I go through the same process every time I create a virtual machine haha!

unite_blue.png

#7 wpmac

wpmac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 01:33 PM

Yeah, I'm on cable and it's pretty fast. I also have a pretty fast pc with 12g ram. It still takes two or three days to get my pc fully updated and running right with all my apps installed. Did all this last April, but as I said, windows updates gave me problems from the beginning of a new win 8 recover. Did this two times in a row. I did find the things worked better when I left it to take care of itself after a few fails. I will just kick back and let it happen. lol Love new recovery's as the pc runs so good until I mess it up again. Maybe I can learn not to do that in this forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users