Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'Not Responding'

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bgarbey

bgarbey

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:10 AM

Hello,

Not sure why, but many programs (Firefox, Outlook, etc.) on my system have begun stalling, showing 'Not Responding'.  I don't believe I have anything consuming my RAM.  Sometimes I can run CCleaner and that will temporarily help, other times it doesn't seem to help.  Also don't detect malware with Malwarebytes.  Any help or ideas are very much appreciated.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:17 AM

Is this only happening with your browsers?

I hope you are not using the registry cleaner option in CCleaner.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 bgarbey

bgarbey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:38 AM

^^^^^  Not sure if it is just my browsers or not, but that is where I notice it happening.  Yes, I use the registry cleaner option in CCleaner...

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:56 AM

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

There are numerous programs which purport to improve system performance, make repairs and tune up a computer. Many of them include such features as a registry cleaner, registry optimizer, disk optimizer, etc. Some of these programs even incorporate optimization and registry cleaning features alongside anti-malware capabilities. These registry cleaners and optimizers claim to speed up your computer by finding and removing orphaned and corrupt registry entries that are responsible for slowing down system performance. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are borderline scams intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product.

Credit for this goes to Quietman7

Download another browser and see if this occurs with it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 bgarbey

bgarbey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:04 PM

^^^^^  Good information and worthy of consideration, thank you.  Still, I've used CCleaner for years and have never had similar issues to what I have been experiencing lately...I suspect something else is causing the 'Not Responding' issues.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:21 PM

I'm not suggesting that your problem is related to the use of a registry cleaner.  I'm only trying to inform you of the inherent dangers of using these programs, and point out that they are pretty much snake oil.  In the ten years I've posted here I've lost count of the number of times that I've see members with problems directly related to the use of registry cleaners.

As I suggested, download another browser and see if this problem persists.

You can also try running your browsers in safe mode.

Running Firefox in Browser Safe Mode

--------------------
  •  
  • Press the windows key Windows_Logo_key.gif + r on your keyboard at the same time
  • Copy and paste the following into the run box and press Enter

firefox --safe-mode

•  
  • Select Start in Safe Mode
  • Please report how Firefox is running

===================================================

Launching Internet Explorer Without Add-ons

----------
  •  
  • Click Start
  • Type iexplore.exe -extoff then press Enter
  • Check the browser behavior

===================================================

Launching Chrome Without Plugins or Extensions

--------------------
  •  
  • Press the windows key Windows_Logo_key.gif + r on your keyboard at the same time
  • Type in chrome --incognito and press Enter
  • Test Chrome

Edited by dc3, 27 July 2015 - 12:22 PM.

#7 bgarbey

bgarbey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:48 PM

I downloaded and installed Chrome...works fine (for the moment).  At the moment, all browsers seem to be working fine, but at some point things will start to lag and not respond.  When I restart, my browsers will sit in 'Not responding' for many minutes, then eventually all will work fine...until some point they begin to not respond again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users