Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Icons on Desktop and Start all changed to Corel logo

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 whd90s

whd90s

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 10:22 AM

I have a Windows 7 Computer on which Corel Paint and Corel Paint Shop Pro were installed.  I clicked on a picture I was editing and all of a sudden all of my icons on my desktop changed to the Corel symbol and every time I try to open them I get an error message saying that they cannot open.  All of the files on the desktop and start programs are .ink files linked to corel.  Even Corel would not open.  I have already tried System Restore and that did not work.  I tried deleting the Icon cache data base file and restarting the computer and that did not work.  I even deleted all of my Corel products and that did not do it.  The only things I can open are recycle bin, control panel and windows explorer (which I have to open by right clicking the start button).  I cannot open any of my other installed programs without getting the error message that they are now .ink files and cannot be opened.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 01:35 PM

Search on 'Corel Draw' here.  Does that sound like the problem you're having?  Some reported a fix here.  Where the check mark is.  Idea is to download that zip and double click the .reg file in it, per the Microsoft Moderator who made it.  Supposed to work in Vista or Win7.  But I've not had the problem, so haven't tried it.

Someone here in BC might know if that really works; it might be malware, so let them help you first.  It's not a new problem.  If you'll read the first link, others had the same problem when they clicked on other folders and files.

In fact, you can click here to see how common the problem (I ran a Google search in that link).

Edited by brainout, 27 July 2015 - 01:58 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#3 whd90s

whd90s
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 03:11 PM

Hopefully someone from BC will respond with a known fix.  I downloaded the fix you posted and will try it later today.  I researched the problem also and found several fixes which I tried and none of them work.  

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,855 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:44 PM

Try the following suggestions:  Default File Type Associations - Restore - Windows 7 Forums - http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/19449-default-file-type-associations-restore.html .

Louis

#5 whd90s

whd90s
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:38 AM

I first tried the fix posted by "Brainout" and low and behold, it worked.  Again a big thanks to the "Bleeping Computer" site and those who dwell here.  Thanks for the assist.

Hi, thanks for the post. We can modify registry to fix the issue. Let's download the file below:

http://cid-4fc3e8fc77f77286.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/lnkfix.zip

Compress the zip file and simply double click the .reg file and it will some add registry entries, restart the computer and see if the issue is resolved.

Hope this helps!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,855 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 02:41 PM

:thumbup2: .\

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users