Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Micro SD card currupted

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mkkb917

mkkb917

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 10:05 AM

Hi
I have a 16 GB micro SD card with FAT32 file system and i was using it in my android cell phone
and the set was rooted by some Chinese software
and now i sold the set but not the micro sd card
the SD card get some Chinese files that cannot be removed, deleted and even formatted.
I tried many SD card formatting software but they show the message that the SD card is write protected
and if the SD card format complete, i again attach the card and everything is back.
i tried to use the diskpart to format the SD card but failed
there are total 128 Kb data in some hidden chines files name like special character and even the type also. like { m≡-äúI╣.÷≥╞ } and { |a┬¿q╛╝.pqΣ }
there are around 20 to 30 files with Zero space

I Also tried chkdsk Commmad on commad prompt and come to know that while the process of verifying windows files and folders the following messages arrises

"\zero\ w_f╕*≥ƒ.¿>        Invalid Time Stamp
First allocation unit is not valid. The entry will  be truncated.
"

please tell me how to format/ repair  the SD card
thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 10:55 AM

Hello, and Welcome Did you use the diskpart attributes disk clear readonly command before trying to format it? After using the attributes disk clear readonly  command use the cleanall command to zero the SD card. Then format it.

I am not sure this will work if diskpart failed but boot a live linux disk like Puppy.

Boot Puppy and attach the SDcard to a USB adapter. It may work if your computer has a built in card reader but I am not sure Puppy would have the drivers for it. Click on the Console icon of the Puppy desktop. At the prompt type

fdisk -l      This will list your disks including your SDcard

You need to make sure what letter your SDcard is listed as (ie sdX) because the following command will wipe the SD card with zeros. You do not want to wipe your hard drive by mistake

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=1M     Where X is the letter assigned to your SDcard found from the fdisk -l command

If Puppy lets you zero the drive you can use Gparted to format it. It is available from  Menu > System. In the upper right corner of the Gparted Window is a dropdown box listing devices. Make sure you have the SD card listed and not your hard drive.  In the menu bar click Device > New Partition table. After the partition table is created select Partition > New from the menu bar.

gparted1.png

#3 mkkb917

mkkb917
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 10:48 PM

I tried also diskpart command

after selcting the disk

i tried to clean the sd card

but it failed

and sir

how to use puppy?

#4 mkkb917

mkkb917
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 06:41 AM

i tried the puppy linux
and tried to format the sd card using gparted

but the sd card partition showed there with a lock and all icons get inactive
but my card is not write protected  or locked .

need some help

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,975 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:18 AM

Did you try the dd command using Console as I posted? Make sure the device is not mounted. Right click the SD card icon on the Puppy Desktop and select Unmount if it is mounted. If it is not mounted right clicking will show Mount. If you cannot unmount using Right click then click the Console icon on the desktop and type

umount -f /dev/sdX       where X is the letter of your SDcard in Gparted.

When you click on the lock icon shown in Gparted does it give an error message?

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 July 2015 - 07:18 AM.

#6 mkkb917

mkkb917
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:00 AM

yes i tried
it takes much time to unmount sd card
but still not succeeded

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,975 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 01:57 PM

I am afraid I am out of ideas on this one, sorry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users