Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security firm, FireEye, employed intern who is accused of developing Malware

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:40 AM

dendroid-header.jpg

According to a recent article at Forbes, it was discovered that an intern is being accused of developing the Dendroid malware while also interning at the prominent security firm FireEye. According to the article, Morgan Culbertson, a 20-year old Carnegie Mellon University student has been accused of designing and selling the Dendroid malware for Android that allowed unauthorized people to remotely control Android devices that it was installed on. All of this was being while working at the security firm FireEye, which leads to concerns that the confidential information he had access to may have been used to enhance his malware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TheJokerz

TheJokerz

• Members
  • 271 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:39 AM

Hmmm interesting!

#3 Allen

Allen

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:22 PM

Did they not do background checks?

Hey everyone I'm Allen I am a young web developer/designer/programmer I also help people with computer issues including hardware problems, malware/viruses infections and software conflicts. I am a kind and easy to get along with person so if you need help feel free to ask.

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,422 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:34 PM

How would background checks help? He was a student at a highly recognized uni, and probably was never in trouble before this, so nothing would have showed up anyway. Of course now it would but that is after the fact.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#5 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 06:35 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if other malware writers had received training at similar companies.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:00 AM

How would background checks help? He was a student at a highly recognized uni, and probably was never in trouble before this, so nothing would have showed up anyway. Of course now it would but that is after the fact.

This. You can't really do background checks on someone that have never been caught doing something wrong. Plus, Dendroid's creator was dealing online behind an alias and never revealed anything about himself (location, age, name, etc.) so you wouldn't have been able to associate him with the Dendroid seller on illicit forums. After that, he sold the project to someone else (if I recall correctly) and he was planning on developping a new RAT for Android. Good thing he got caught before.

Edited by Aura, 28 July 2015 - 07:00 AM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users