Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to know which version win8 on this machine?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:23 AM

Hey guys, I am working on an hp touchsmart m6 k125 dx laptop
system ID 190E
Product ID EOK48UA#ABA

I tried researching the above info online but nothing, I have various win8 versions but how do I know which one is on here or how would be best to proceed please? I need to replace the HDD.
system ID 190E
Product ID EOK48UA#ABA

I tried researching the above info online but nothing, I have various win8 versions but how do I know which one is on here or how would be best to proceed please? I need to replace the HDD.

system ID 190E
Product ID EOK48UA#ABA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,197 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:39 AM

Hi mystic12 :)

To find the version of Windows you are using, simply press on the Win Key + R keys and enter dxdiag. Your Windows version information will be displayed in the window that will open. Alternatively, you can right-click in the bottom-left corner (on the Metro Menu preview on Windows 8, and the Windows logo on Windows 8.1) and select System. That information will also be displayed there.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,629 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:43 AM

If the original hard drive is bad and does not boot then download Windows 8.1 here. You need to pick Home or Pro depending on what was on the computer. I would think it would be Home. When you install it may ask for a key. All OEM computers with 8 have the key embedded in firmware. You can access it using a linux live cd as shown in the following links. If the computer still boots to windows then use produkey to find the key from firmware.

http://superuser.com/questions/637971/how-do-i-get-out-my-embedded-windows-8-key-from-a-linux-environment

http://malwaretips.com/threads/how-to-retrieve-your-windows-8-oem-key-with-linux.28560/

According to the specs here it uses 8.1 64bit

#4 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,452 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:43 AM

Hello Aura, remember that this unit's HDD is shot so anything I would need to do to get the version has to be done outside of windows.

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,494 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:45 AM

I need to replace the HDD.

The version of Windows 8 is actually irrelevant if your reason is only replacing the HDD. Here's how:

>Get yourself a external HDD or a large USB flash drive;

>Use a backup utility to create a partition image of your present OS (Operating System) and save it to your external drive.

>Replace your old HDD; I suggest getting one that is the same size or larger, not smaller or you may have restore problems.

>Now restore the image you have saved on your external drive to your new HDD. Done.

[EDIT]: 

this unit's HDD is shot

Ok, you didn't say this initially. When you say "shot", what causes you to decide this? Have you run a disk check utility on it, like Seatools?

If it is, I suggest that you call Microsoft on their 800 number; since you are a registered owner, they may help you out. They actually are pushing the upgrade to Windows 10 real hard, even the support techs will give you a PR pitch if you mention it (I just called them for tier2 level support for a problem) so be a "helpless customer" and tell them you really want to upgrade to W10 and need W8 to do it, "please, please help" blah blah. I have a feeling they will allow you a download, or you can purchase a CD for a reasonable amount, etc. At lease it's worth a shot and won't cost anything. 

Edited by ranchhand_, 27 July 2015 - 08:53 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,197 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:54 AM

If the hard drive is dead, you won't be able to recover that information from it. However, my guess is that it's just a standard Windows 8.1, unless you bought what we call a "business" laptop, then it might have Windows 8.1 Professional.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,452 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:55 AM

Oh yes, sorry guys for not having explained this situation properly. When the owner broung this to me last night, on power on, it showed "Hard Disk error", I tried to run the unit's HDD Diagnostics but it showed "No Hdd installed", I then replced the HDD with one of my own and it shows "No boot device" so that suggests to me that the HDD is dead.

#8 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,452 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:01 AM

Ok so I have 3 sets of disks: win8 standard, win8 Pro and win8.1 pro, which one should I first try or should I attempt to call HP to see if they can tell me which version is on there?

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,197 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:01 AM

Are you able to connect that hard drive as a secondary hard drive on another computer? You can use the cables from the CD/DVD-ROM to plug it. From there, see if it shows up in the Windows Disk Management console.

If you call HP and give them the serial number of the laptop, I guess they'll be able to tell you which edition of Windows it was shipped with.

Edited by Aura, 27 July 2015 - 09:02 AM.

unite_blue.png

#10 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,452 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:25 AM

calling hp now

#11 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,452 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 10:04 AM

geez I don't know why they make things so complicated, I have 3 sets of disks: win8 standard, win8 Pro and win8.1 pro and this is the 2nd time I have come across this issue, the version on this unit is "8.1 Standard", the one I don't have so I will have no choice but to order the recovery disk from HP?

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,197 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 10:07 AM

You can use the Windows 8 standard CD to reinstall it, and then upgrade to Windows 8.1 then. There's no problem.

unite_blue.png

#13 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,452 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 10:11 AM

Cool, let me try on my replacement HDD as a test, get back to you, thanks.

#14 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,452 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 10:49 AM

No, it's asking for the product key

#15 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,452 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 10:52 AM

So looks like I will need to order the recovery disk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users