Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Passworded Startup?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 08:11 PM

My mother just got an old laptop from her work. Apparently the IT department was throwing them out, so she asked and they let her take one. The only problem is, there's a password at startup, and nobody seems to know what it is. All I want to do is reformat the hard drive. I don't care what gets lost, but is there any way for me to get around the password and reformat everything? I'm thinking about maybe flashing the BIOS or something, only I don't know how? Is there a manual way to reset everything?

The laptop is an IMB ThinkPad. Pentium III and I believe it's running Windows 98 (the little sticker on it says Windows 98)

UPDATE: Alright, so I switched the Hard Drive out and put it in an identical ThinkPad my grandfather had given me a while back. I got the same password prompt, so I assume the Hard Drive is passworded and not the BIOS. This means I should be able to boot off of a floppy ('tis a shame the laptop doesn't have a floppy drive) and wipe the hard drive? Right?

I've tried getting into safe mode, BIOS, everything. No matter what I do during startup I always get that password prompt. I can't boot off of a CD, so I assume I can't boot off a floppy either? I can't get into BIOS to check the boot order, so it may still be possible.

UPDATE2: Hmm.... so I swapped the hard drive from my grandfather's ThinkPad into the new ThinkPad, and I get the SAME Password Prompt. Could the Hard Drive AND the BIOS be passworded???

Edited by .Prodigy., 11 July 2006 - 08:38 PM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2006 - 09:34 AM

Could the Hard Drive AND the BIOS be passworded

Yes, they could. For obvious reasons Bleeping Computer cannot help you in getting around passwords or other security measures.

Sorry.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 gatetech72

gatetech72

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2006 - 03:22 AM

you might want to check the HDD Manufacture to see if there is a setting to remove the HDD password

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 19 July 2006 - 02:41 PM

Or contact the IT manager of the company and plead for them to remove it for you (takes like 30 seconds, even so you should buy 'em lunch or something). :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users