Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE 11 and Adblock Plus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Magic Sam

Magic Sam

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:06 AM

I have downloaded and used Adblock Plus so far without problems with Chrome - installation was simple and the advantages are obvious.

I have downloaded IE 11 as a backup and wanted to do the same by taking Adblock Plus from the IE 11 "Gallery". Much more involved:  You have to download, save and run it as if it was a new program (which it seems to be).  Then in spite of several attempts it won't run /install - something to do with the time certificate being out of date (most unhelpful). Then to cap it all Avast comes on warning that Adblock Plus is a dodgy program that ought to be removed - even though at present it is no more than a stored exe file awaiting activation!

What is going on - is Adblock Plus just incompatible with IE and is there something else that does the same job and works??? The choice in the IE Gallery seems to be much more restricted than with Chrome

Tks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:06 AM

I don't use IE but there was something here a few months ago stating that AdBlock was closing down. So I think you'll find a lot of us now use UBlock which does the same thing. That's what I use on Chrome but I haven't used IE for years so I don't know if UBlock is on IE.

#3 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:27 AM

I can't see UBlock in the IE Gallery whilst Adblock Plus is listed even if there is a bug.  I think that there is Adblock and Adblock Plus and perhaps just one of these was due for closure. There must be some blocking program that works with IE 11!!

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 05:59 PM

I noticed that these ad blockers don't work very well on IE. So I don't think UBlock is available for IE. I use Firefox only for a couple of things and I never use IE. If IE is there and you don't use it, you probably don't need an ad blocker. And Firefox is a better choice as a secondary browser anyway because there are certain things I can use Firefox for that neither IE or Chrome can do. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users