Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft releases tool to block unwanted updates (Just in, ZDnet)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:40 AM

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-releases-tool-to-hide-or-block-unwanted-windows-10-updates/

Since it's so hard to read and comment in ZDnet, I thought y'all might enjoy this being a thread, so you can comment here.  I've not yet read the article.

EDIT: Here's the parallel article in Forbes: http://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyleather/2015/07/27/microsoft-backtracks-on-windows-10-forced-updates/2/

EDIT: Here's a parallel article in Thurrott: https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/4881/windows-10-and-automatic-updates

That last one is truly scary, to read the comments.  I tried to help where I could, but it's a losing battle.

Edited by brainout, 28 July 2015 - 12:26 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 1,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:46 AM

Ha, that is awesome! :bananas:

I know there are 2 Members here, who should be posting here soon, and who will be going on and on about how this is a bad idea and how MS loves us and that Windows 10 is the cure all for every problem we've ever had (or, are going to) but I wanted to say thanks for posting this.

onward,

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:49 AM

I'm most likely going to use it to block drivers updates, other than that I'll install all the others.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 07:02 AM

Yah, I understand, Winterland.  Yet it does indicate an actual response by MSFT.  Not the right response, and now that I've read the article, it's really NO solution (read the article, test it on Win10 for yourself) -- but at least, a response.  Setting up restore points so you can roll back each time the bad update comes in over and over (because they are cumulative, k), is no solution.  Ed claims it is.  I'm so tired of his misrepresentation, I could die.

But it is still hopeful that MSFT bothers to make a response, and I'm hoping it's due to Mr. Aul.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:31 AM

Was just going to post this article and found it here. Looks like it works on the final release too. Microsoft backtracked on mandatory updates in a hurry. I wonder if the update still holds for future releases.

#6 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:56 AM

Do you have that KB ending in 930, John?  I don't.  So I don't get the screens Ed shows.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:08 AM

I am not running 10 insider preview now but you can get the KB update as a separate download.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

#8 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 10:02 AM

Aha, that's it.  Thank you!  Wow, all the comments between 8-9am are gone now.  One really important one about how in Devices and Printers (Control Panel) you can tell Windows not to download drivers, but instead elect to get them from your manufacturer, only..gone.

Even so, why is Windows foisting drivers on us?

Edited by brainout, 27 July 2015 - 10:10 AM.

#9 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:12 PM

Here's the link, it's only a tool, and WAS NOT included in our updates (grrrr, how many nVidia problems could have been avoided):  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

A full month before 10240 was released, this tool existed!  :ranting:

Edited by computerxpds, 27 July 2015 - 04:36 PM.
Merged here because it is about the same thing.

#10 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 05:27 PM

I just posted the parallel article in Forbes, because Mr. Kelly thought the KB was posted in his own article, but I couldn't see it.  Am now typing from Firefox in Win10, and it doesn't run in Forbes any better than on Win7.  Gonna try Edge now (yikes).

I couldn't even get Edge to work on the same page.  I tried even that Reading thingy to get rid of the blaring ads in Forbes, and instead of reading the correct page, it starts on page 2 of the same article.  SLOW too. Oh well.

Edited by brainout, 27 July 2015 - 05:36 PM.

#11 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:19 PM

Yep zdnet used to be easily navigating through and commenting and i have not been bothered since they changed to that awful GUI.

I just dont bother going to that site any more.

#12 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 12:27 AM

Yeah, Jammer, that's why I come here.  Just posted a third parallel link, in Thurrott.  That site quotes the ZDnet article and has a more stable comment interface, from Disqus. You can edit your comment, too.  In its Notifications, you can just park there and read the comments without having to visit all the sites.  Much better.

Edited by brainout, 28 July 2015 - 12:28 AM.

#13 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 03:12 AM

good, driver update should not be handled by the OS it always turns out badly

Speaking from experience as a linux user

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 05:21 AM

The only cases I can see where driver updates should be done via Windows Update is when they release WDDM drivers for devices that aren't supported anymore. Which means that it's not the manufacturer that handle the drivers (they stopped supported the device), it's Microsoft. But even there, WDDM drivers aren't based on performance at all, more on compatibility with the OS, hence why you cannot do a lot with them (you can't play Minecraft with HD Graphics 3000 WDDM drivers installed, that's how bad it is).

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#15 malynensi

malynensi

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:56 AM

Apps suddenly udpate anything once your connected to teh net. And this forum is quiet helpful to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users