Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD Unexpectingly Fails to Run, Possibly PCB Issue?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 SigmaxPhi

SigmaxPhi

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 02:45 AM

Before I recently made a new computer build, a previous HDD of mine was working perfectly as intended. Right after making the build, I tried the previous HDDs on the new build, and the 1 TB HDD doesn't seem to run.

There were no signs of the HDD failing prior to building the computer, so from searching online, I figure that maybe the PCB might of went out on the HDD.

The HDD that went out is a Western Digital SATA (1 TB) WD1001FALS - 41K1B0.

Any help would be truly helpful <3!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 07:30 AM

Thinking you have tried re seating connections and swapping cable etc.  Maybe try another board there are a bunch up on Ebay, I have swapped a few pretty simple.

Check the version numbers on the board see if any are here: http://www.ebay.com/sch/Computer-Components-Parts-/175673/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=pcb+board+Western+Digital&rt=nc

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:56 AM

You can run diagnostic tests on the hard drive, to ascertain the functional status.

Data Lifeguard Diagnostic Manual - http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/other/2779-701022.pdf

Data Lifeguard For DOS - http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=606&sid=2&lang=en

Data Lifeguard For Windows Download - http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=605&sid=3&lang=en

Louis

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:15 PM

You haven't posted what operating system you are using, so I can't address this directly.

Basically what it looks may have happened is that you took a hdd with Windows installed on it from one computer and installed it in another computer.  The motherboard has identifiers which the operating system recognizes when it starts.  If move the hdd to another motherboard the operating system becomes confused when it see the different identifiers of the other motherboard and may not boot.  Even if it does it will more than likely eventually have enough problems that you will need to reinstall the operating system.

Before Windows 7 and 8.1 there wasn't anything you could do short of reinstalling the operating system.  But in Windows 7 and 8.1 you can use the sysperp command in the Command Prompt to generalize the hdd or ssd, then you can move it to another motherboard without complications.

If you run sysprep on the HHD/SSD with Windows 7 or 8.1 before using it with another motherboard you should be be able to boot from it without any complications. You want to remove all hardware identifiers from the HDD/SSD, this generalizes the drive.

Click on the Start orb, then type cmd in the Search box.

cmd will appear under Programs above the search box, right click on it and choose Run as administrator.

This will open the Elevated Command Prompt.

In the Elevated Command Prompt type in CD C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep, then 
use the command: sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown.

Don't power the drive back on until it's in the other computer.

Note: You'll want to install the new motherboard chipset drivers for the new motherboard after moving the drive.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 SigmaxPhi

SigmaxPhi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 05:39 PM

Sorry, the OS I had before was Windows XP. The new build I made is a Windows 8.1 OS. I did try to run this hard drive on both computer builds, both showed no HDD information in the BIOS screen.

Edited by hamluis, 28 July 2015 - 03:08 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:41 PM

Does it spin up and do you its light flicker at all?

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#7 SigmaxPhi

SigmaxPhi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 07:50 PM

Does it spin up and do you its light flicker at all?

No, it did not receive a flicker, nor did it made a spin noise, and it did not get hot. It just did not run at all when booting up the BIOS. In the past, using my XP build, it is meant and set as a slave drive. From upgrading, I also intended to have this as a slave drive. It's just that ever since I got done building the computer that nothing shows up in the BIOS screen when the HDD is hooked up separately in both motherboards.

I would try the WD diagnostic, but if the BIOS does not even read the HDD being connected, wouldn't the WD diagnostic check also fail to read it?

Edited by SigmaxPhi, 27 July 2015 - 08:22 PM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 12:13 PM

If this hdd isn't seen in the BIOS I doubt the Western Digital will see it either.

Does the motherboard you are using with Windows 8.1 have a IDE connector?

Have you tried setting the jumper to Master or Cable Select?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 SigmaxPhi

SigmaxPhi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:45 PM

If this hdd isn't seen in the BIOS I doubt the Western Digital will see it either.

Does the motherboard you are using with Windows 8.1 have a IDE connector?

Have you tried setting the jumper to Master or Cable Select?

The new motherboard I have (with Windows 8.1 setup) does not have an IDE connector. My older setup does though.

I haven't tried setting the jumper to Master or Cable Select... but you know... oddly enough, I don't see a jumper inserted on my SATA HDD (the pins are obviously there though)... Is it required to have it? If so, I think this might of been the problem.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 09:49 AM

Before I recently made a new computer build, a previous HDD of mine was working perfectly as intended. Right after making the build, I tried the previous HDDs on the new build, and the 1 TB HDD doesn't seem to run.

This is what is causing the confusion.  You refer to "a previous hdd" suggesting that you tried this in your new drive.  You go on to mention the Master jumper being used.

What does the old hdd have to do with your new build?

Which drive isn't being seen in the BIOS of the new build?

#11 SigmaxPhi

SigmaxPhi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:31 PM

This is what is causing the confusion.  You refer to "a previous hdd" suggesting that you tried this in your new drive.  You go on to mention the Master jumper being used.

What does the old hdd have to do with your new build?

Which drive isn't being seen in the BIOS of the new build?

This 1 TB SATA HDD has always been set as a slave drive (in a sense, it's supposed to be my back-up drive). I never did used a Master jumper, since it never had an OS installed to begin with. The pins in it would be for the legacy BIOS which I read up via IRC. So, there were no jumpers in it, it was set in the BIOS in the past as just a slave drive.

The old HDD I used to use, which is an IDE HDD, is not used in the new setup because it does not support IDE connectors.

The 1 TB SATA HDD is not showing up in both builds' (one with an IDE [old setup] and the other with an SSD [new setup]) BIOS menu, the HDD won't run.

Edited by SigmaxPhi, 29 July 2015 - 05:33 PM.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:35 AM

You don't need a jumper with a SATA drive.  In the early drives there was a pin which when used would limit the data transfer rate.  This was a compatibility issue with PATA and ATA drives.

I'm operating under the assumption that the SATA drive worked in the XP computer.  How was it connected, USB externally, internally to the motherboard?

Has this drive ever been formatted?

#13 SigmaxPhi

SigmaxPhi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 08:04 PM

You don't need a jumper with a SATA drive.  In the early drives there was a pin which when used would limit the data transfer rate.  This was a compatibility issue with PATA and ATA drives.

I'm operating under the assumption that the SATA drive worked in the XP computer.  How was it connected, USB externally, internally to the motherboard?

Has this drive ever been formatted?

It worked in the XP computer yes. It was hooked internally to the motherboard. The drive was likely formatted from the beginning of use from my old XP when I first received it... other than that, it has not been formatted since. Currently, it does not work in both the XP and Windows 8.1 computer (hooked up in the XP computer via motherboard).

I'm kinda inclined that the HDD just went out. It might be possible to fix it via PCB replacement and swapping firmware chip from HDD, but it's something I will consider sometime soon.

Edited by SigmaxPhi, 14 August 2015 - 08:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users