Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mysterious e mail message with my own address and obscene language

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 IngridAngis

IngridAngis

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 01:16 AM

I think this is an attempt to infect my computer.  

I'm getting these messages that list my own e mail address where you're supposed to see who the sender is.

They claim to be trying to sell me something and  I know I did not send these messages to my email.

I clicked on "details" and found that there was another email address that appeared alongside my own address. '

I do not ever ever ever put my trust in these entities who come out of nowhere trying to sell me something.   I went into the settings and blacklisted the sender.  I think what might happen though is that they'll just use a different address and keep on bothering me.   

Do I just have to keep deleting these messages or is there a way to keep them out of my inbox?   I have the spam settings on low because I use this particular email for business purposes.   

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 a.h.h.10

a.h.h.10

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 12:03 PM

I'm a Windows user, but I've had the same situation happen to me where I got an e-mail from my own email address.

I would run a Malwarebytes scan first to see if you have anything on your computer. https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/mac/

Also, are you using the e-mail application on the computer provided by Apple or do you access the Internet and go to a website for your e-mail? If you get on the Internet for your e-mail I would change the password.

#3 Zimrid

Zimrid

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:24 PM

I usually use my MacBook to go on the internet and to get my e mail.    I would like to know who I should believe as far as viruses infecting a MacBook.   

The staff at the store always tells you it can't get viruses while other people say it can.   in One-to-One sessions I have learned a little about how to protect my computer but wonder if this is enough.

#4 a.h.h.10

a.h.h.10

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:41 PM

I usually use my MacBook to go on the internet and to get my e mail.    I would like to know who I should believe as far as viruses infecting a MacBook.   

The staff at the store always tells you it can't get viruses while other people say it can.   in One-to-One sessions I have learned a little about how to protect my computer but wonder if this is enough.

I've always been told that Macs don't get viruses because the majority of the people don't use them. But since there has been an increase of people using them, there are more and more viruses out there to target Macs.

I think if people are posting malware-related problems in this forum and there are now multiple anti-virus/anti-malware programs being made for Macs, then Macs can definitely get viruses.

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 03 August 2015 - 03:27 PM

I think this is an attempt to infect my computer.  

I'm getting these messages that list my own e mail address where you're supposed to see who the sender is.

They claim to be trying to sell me something and  I know I did not send these messages to my email.

I clicked on "details" and found that there was another email address that appeared alongside my own address. '

I do not ever ever ever put my trust in these entities who come out of nowhere trying to sell me something.   I went into the settings and blacklisted the sender.  I think what might happen though is that they'll just use a different address and keep on bothering me.   

Do I just have to keep deleting these messages or is there a way to keep them out of my inbox?   I have the spam settings on low because I use this particular email for business purposes.

Sounds like someone just "spoofing" your email address (i.e. making it look like it came from your email account). This is VERY easy to do. If that is what it is, then there is really nothing that you can do other than change your email address to something else...or live with it (i.e. delete messages that come through).

There is a chance that it might be some sort of malware or a hacked email account.

Since you are using a Mac (you did post in the MacOS forum although did not specifically mention using a Mac), the odds of it being malware are pretty low. I am not aware of any malware "in the wild" that will cause your Mac to be a "spambot", but I am by no means always up to speed on what is out there. If you want to be on the safe side, then run some anti-virus/malware software on the Mac.

If the email account is hacked, then the "simple" solution is to change the password for the email account. If it was hacked, then you should stop getting the messages.

My bet is still on someone "spoofing" your email address.

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2015 - 03:37 PM

To my knowledge, the staff is technically right in that you cannot get viruses as I am not aware of an current Mac viruses out in the wild, assuming you are using the "precise" definition of what a virus is (as opposed to trojans, worms and other forms of malware).

If you are using virus as the more "general" term to describe all "bad computer software", then they are not correct. This is because there are trojans out there that are designed to exploit a Mac.

At this time, there are very few threats to a Mac...assuming you practice "safe computing" (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/keep-your-computer-safe-online/ ...except for maybe the need for an anti-virus program). If practice the things in that article on a Mac (other than using anti-virus), then more than likely you will never have an issue. If you are like me and want to be on the safe side, then go ahead in install an anti-virus program on your Mac.

#7 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 689 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2015 - 08:24 PM

Yes - its a SPOOF Email - I have that happening currently on one of my emails.   Don't think it is a computer problem because its just on my one email address.   Usually whoever the email is with (like AOL for example) picks up on it and starts blocking the obscene stuff.   SOMEBODY must be really bored if they have nothing better to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users