Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless limited network connectivity with Dell Inspirion 3521

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 djkea

djkea

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:05 PM

Hello and thanks in advance for your help.  I purchased the Dell 3521 a couple years ago and was stricken with malfunctioning bluetooth connectivity from day 1.   Support was less than capable.   They were taking endless random shots in the dark to find resolution of issue including changing bt drivers, changing the network adapter, sending tech to my place, replacing mother board, sent me USB drive with clean version of Windows for install etc.  All to no avail and unbelievably annoying.  Obviously I was also unable to determine where the problem was but I was astounded at some of the simple minded solutions they suggested I attempt.  After weeks of working with Dell's support the problem remained and a I gave up on resolving the issues with bluetooth.  

Luckily I was able to configure wireless network properly and was surfing fine with the Inspirion and my Verizon Actiontec modem.  Then it started.  All was fine until the network would be unable to resolve name in dns.  Error, no connection availble, network changed, limited network messages began occuring.  Many times re-booting the router would remedy the problem.  All would be peachy for a few days/weeks and then bam, limited network again.  I assumed the problem must be with the router provided by verizon so I contacted their tech support first.  (Also the Dell is out of warranty support now, as if I wanted to ever work with Dell support again anyway!)  Verizon support rebooted , updated, etc. etc. and same results.  They sent techs to the house to inspect phone lines.  The tech was 100% sure the problem was caused by bad connections at the box and some poor lines.  Replaced all.  Problem fixed, nope!  Not so fast.  More communication with Verizon, less satisfactory results, problem recurring now more than ever.  I am no expert and I only use about 8% of my brain but I am now convinced the problem comes from within... my dell computer, that is.  I am really hoping this problem can be resolved as unfortunately I can't afford to buy a new computer at this time.  I really feel Dell should have replaced my machine after the first 100 hours of my life wasted trying to fix it but I didn't push the issue because I just couldn't handle dealing with them any more.  The machine was less than $500 and weighed against the agony of further interaction with Dell it just wasn't worth it to me.  Now I am out of work so $ is tight and I must get more mileage out of the Dell Lemon Inspirion 3521.

I have minitoolbox/speccy and am somewhat familiar with ipconfig etc.  If you have read all of my whining up to this point and have ANY helpful suggestions please comment.  

Thank you kindly, David

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 reckonankit

reckonankit

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 02:10 AM

Hey you can try to download latest network drive for dell

Go to Drivers & Downloads enter your service tag number, then select your operating system. Under Network, download and install the latest drivers.

#3 djkea

djkea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 11 October 2015 - 05:31 PM

Thanks for the response.  All of my drivers are current.  Everything is up to date.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,659 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 11 October 2015 - 06:20 PM

Have you tried using OpenDNS servers? After adding the DNS servers flush dns cache as shown in the guide (link)

See this page. Pay special attention to steps 3 and 4.

#5 zeekstern

zeekstern

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 13 October 2015 - 10:58 AM

There are many reasons for wireless limited connectivity. I am not familiar with Verizon so bear with me.

1. You mentioned router, so I am assuming your router has a port(s) you can plug a cable into. Attach a cable and connect your computer directly to the router and then boot your system up.

2. Open a cmd window and enter     ipconfig /all  and post the results back. NOTE: I am assuming you are using a non routable IP such as 192.168.0.100 or something like that. If you have a static IP, you don't want to post that:))

3. Also go into your LAN adapter settings and post your settings for TCP/IPv4   This will probably be set for DHCP to obtain an IP automatically and to obtain your DNS automatically, but lets verify this.

4. If by chance you have internet connectivity, remove the cable, reboot your system and see if you can connect using the wireless adapter. You should have good signal strength since you are now close to your router.

There are other things that we need to check, but the above is a good start. For example the channel the router is using, which DNS servers is he supposed to be providing, etc.

Can you log into your Verizon router? 

Edited by zeekstern, 13 October 2015 - 11:01 AM.

#6 Dorrance

Dorrance

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 15 October 2015 - 12:19 AM

Did you mess with any configs of the networking or drives?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users