Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer on but nothing showing up on monitor.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 IslandKit

IslandKit

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:38 PM

My computer will turn on but nothing will show up on my monitor! When I first turn on my computer my monitor lights up and says 'GigaByte' (my brand of motherboard) and all those other boot menu options. After it loads up and everything the screen goes blank, the monitor is still on but the screen goes blank. You can also move the mouse and you can see it but besides that nothing shows up. I built my computer and it's been working fine until there was this bsod, I looked it up, tried to fix the error but then this happened when I rebooted my computer. The website I followed the instructions from is http://www.computertipsfree.com/fix-nvlddmkm-sys-blue-screen-bsod-error-in-windows-7/

OS version: Windows 8.1 64 bit
Graphics Card: 2gb gddr5 evga geforce gt 730
MoBo: GigaByte H97N-Wifi
Processor: Intel core i5-4440 lga1150
Ram 8gb forgot the brand

Any other info you need please tell me

Edited by hamluis, 26 July 2015 - 11:00 PM.
Moved from Crashes/BSOD to Win 8 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:35 PM

Hi. . .

Have you tried another monitor?

" " monitor cable?

" " video card?

" " booting with the Windows DVD into Recovery?

Can you boot into BIOS?

If so, does the monitor stay on?

I ask these questions because I have a Fujitsu A6030 Core2Duo laptop that will boot and show post screen (the Fujitsu logo), but then within seconds, the monitor shuts off yet the system keeps booting/running. I finally connected an external monitor to it -- works fine w/ the ext monitor. I'm told there is a problem with (??? - can't recall the name of the video related part at the moment).  I just use it with the external monitor these days.

Whatever BSOD occurred here is NOT the cause of your video issues; rather it likely was a 0x116 bugcheck BSOD - a video TDR timeout.  The video driver was/is unable to reset within the time allotted - 30000ms or 30 seconds.  Just a guess/theory on my part.

I would suggest that you try another monitor, cable, &/or video card ad see if the system boots.

If not, insert your Windows DVD and boot into Recovery.  If that works, try Windows System Restore first.  If no-go, reinstall Windows, but you very likely may lose all of your files.  You could of course use a USB/SATA adapter first to copy the files off of the HDD.

It is very difficult to say exactly what happened to your system.   It is even difficult at this point to determine whether software or hardware failure is the cause.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

p.s. at this time, there is nothing to be done for the lone BSOD you described as we can't get system information files or the dump file.  Even if we did, I doubt it would tell us anything.

Edited by jcgriff2, 26 July 2015 - 10:38 PM.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#3 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:43 PM

For info -- I checked out the site you linked to - http://www.computertipsfree.com/fix-nvlddmkm-sys-blue-screen-bsod-error-in-windows-7/

That is in fact a 0x116 BSOD bugcheck (STOP ERROR) as I described in my prior post.

More often than not, 0x116 BSODs and it's sibling 0x117 "Live Kernel Event" are the result of a bad video card.  Sometimes it can be the video driver, but  a driver issue rarely if ever results in a black screen and no video.

Both 0x116 and 0x117 are video TDR timeouts - display driver is unable to reset in the time allotted.  The difference between them is that a 0x117 Live Kernel Event -- the video driver ultimately does recover and you continue system use; a 0x116 results in a BSOD because the driver never resets.  However, to reiterate, neither generally results in complete loss of video.

0x116 results in a BSOD dump file being created in \windows\memory.dmp (full kernel memory dump) &/or \windows\minidump\*.* (mini kernel memory dump).

0x117 results in a "watchdog" dump that always names the video driver; location = \windows\LiveKernelReports\WATCHDOG

Regards. . .

JC

Edited by jcgriff2, 28 July 2015 - 07:51 PM.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

#4 don wolfani

don wolfani

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 01:37 PM

I just posted a similar issue in win 8.1 that is going to cause me to need to do a reinstall completely now if there is no fix.  any news at all on how to fix? I cannot find an email address for microsoft support

#5 IslandKit

IslandKit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:01 PM

Hi. . .

Have you tried another monitor?
" " monitor cable?
" " video card?
" " booting with the Windows DVD into Recovery?

Can you boot into BIOS?
If so, does the monitor stay on?

I ask these questions because I have a Fujitsu A6030 Core2Duo laptop that will boot and show post screen (the Fujitsu logo), but then within seconds, the monitor shuts off yet the system keeps booting/running. I finally connected an external monitor to it -- works fine w/ the ext monitor. I'm told there is a problem with (??? - can't recall the name of the video related part at the moment).  I just use it with the external monitor these days.

Whatever BSOD occurred here is NOT the cause of your video issues; rather it likely was a 0x116 bugcheck BSOD - a video TDR timeout.  The video driver was/is unable to reset within the time allotted - 30000ms or 30 seconds.  Just a guess/theory on my part.

I would suggest that you try another monitor, cable, &/or video card ad see if the system boots.

If not, insert your Windows DVD and boot into Recovery.  If that works, try Windows System Restore first.  If no-go, reinstall Windows, but you very likely may lose all of your files.  You could of course use a USB/SATA adapter first to copy the files off of the HDD.

It is very difficult to say exactly what happened to your system.   It is even difficult at this point to determine whether software or hardware failure is the cause.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

p.s. at this time, there is nothing to be done for the lone BSOD you described as we can't get system information files or the dump file.  Even if we did, I doubt it would tell us anything.

Hi

I have tried another monitor, monitor cable, I cannot afford to buy a new graphics card and I dont have a Windows recovery DVD
I can boot into bios.
The monitor stays on until I turn it off, I can see the mouse moving but not anything else.
And im pretty sure it has to do with my drivers because I changed stuff in the driver directory.
The system boots but i cant see anything besides my mouse as I said 3 times now.

Edited by IslandKit, 28 July 2015 - 06:34 AM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:53 PM

Trying the following may or may not work.

1. Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  2. Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  4. Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  5. Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen

Windows 8 should pop up the Automatic Repair Screen that will let you select Advanced Options. From there select Troubleshoot and look for System Restore. Restore to a date before the problem occured.

#7 IslandKit

IslandKit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 12:11 AM

• Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  • Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  • As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  • Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  • Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen
Windows 8 should pop up the Automatic Repair Screen that will let you select Advanced Options. From there select Troubleshoot and look for System Restore. Restore to a date before the problem occured.

Thanks that actually worked!

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 09:06 AM

Your Welcome. Thanks for the update. This confirms the method should work on any 8/8.1 computer.

#9 jayarelawler

jayarelawler

• Banned
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:55 PM

• Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  • As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  • Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.

Instead of destroying your hard drive, you could have also just pressed F8 during startup.  Cheers.

#10 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:03 PM

Instead of destroying your hard drive, you could have also just pressed F8 during startup.  Cheers.

F8 - in Windows 8/8.1?

Not the same as in Vista & Windows 7.

JohnC_21 gave the obvious correct answer here confirmed by the OP.
Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

#11 IslandKit

IslandKit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 11:17 PM

That did nothing...

#12 jayarelawler

jayarelawler

• Banned
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:26 AM

Haha yeah... you have

That did nothing...

Haha yeah... you have to disable secure boot first, then enable Legacy Boot in BIOS.  F8 works fine and again, you won't have to kill your hard drive.  Cheers.

#13 IslandKit

IslandKit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:02 PM

Haha yeah... you have

That did nothing...

Haha yeah... you have to disable secure boot first, then enable Legacy Boot in BIOS.  F8 works fine and again, you won't have to kill your hard drive.  Cheers.
Whatever, my computer is working fine now and almost nothing has changed so I don't care.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users