Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screensaver problem - The thing doesn't shut off or restart

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 EvilTessmacher

EvilTessmacher

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 26 July 2015 - 06:18 PM

Okay, please bear with me. This is going to be a detailed explanation of what happens, because it's easier to describe it than try to summarize it.

I have read through 11 or 12 pages of posts on screensavers, and have not seen my particular problem described, so here goes:

I have a third-party screensaver (not originally loaded, but rather downloaded from a website) called "3D Solar System" (which can be found here for details)

When I first installed this screensaver (because someone left out the starfield one from W7) it worked perfectly. Came on when the computer was idle for the length of time I set it to be, every time. I could come back to the computer, and wiggle the mouse or touch the keyboard, and poof! it would go off, and the screen would come up. And then the screensaver would come back on its own, after that set length of time.

Not too long ago, I discovered suddenly that it had, apparently, stopped working properly. It simply would not start when I left the computer and came back after a length of time. Upon looking at the task manager, I discovered it appears to be running in the background, and when I would stop the process, it would come on as before, when the computer was idle for the set length of time. (Originally set for 6 minutes). It isn't working like it is supposed to.

I have reset the length of time in one minute increments from 1 minute up to 50 minutes (took me a couple of weeks) and the screensaver program will only come on when it isn't running in the task manager. In other words, I have to open the task manager, and stop the process manually before it will come back on automatically.

I will say at this point, that I do not know enough about computers to have any clue, any idea, or any knowledge of what I might do to try to fix this. I went so far as to email the author of the program, from whom I have never had a response. I even did a WHOIS to find an alternate email address, also without ever getting any response. The only thing I could think of to try was to uninstall it, do a registry repair and a defragmentation of the hard drive with Glary Utilities, reboot the computer, and reinstall the screensaver from a fresh download. No changes. The results are still the same. That means to me that there is something either in the screensaver, or the operating system that is different, preventing the screensaver from stopping when the computer becomes active, and forcing it to keep running in the background, until it is manually stopped through the task manager. I have absolutely no idea what to do, how to find a fix, or how to even start looking for a fix.

Can someone with some knowledge of Win7, and screensavers please try to walk me through solving this problem? It's as if the screensaver forgot how to tell itself to turn off, so that it can start again when the computer goes idle. A good deal of patience will be necessary, and every step in the process will need to be explained. (Try remembering what you were like when you knew nothing, and everyone talked to you as if you already knew what to do to solve things, and that's where I am. smile.gif)

I'm sort of frustrated by this, because it's now getting tedious to have to stop the process every time I get up from the computer, just to have the dang screensaver come on when I leave it for a while.

Edited by hamluis, 28 July 2015 - 02:20 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to All Other Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:19 AM

Have you contacted the program developer? Maybe the product needs an update.

#3 EvilTessmacher

EvilTessmacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:53 AM

Have you contacted the program developer? Maybe the product needs an update.

I will say at this point, that I do not know enough about computers to have any clue, any idea, or any knowledge of what I might do to try to fix this. I went so far as to email the author of the program, from whom I have never had a response. I even did a WHOIS to find an alternate email address, also without ever getting any response.

I indicated that I did, twice.

Once via the email address on the webpage, and once to the admin address I found from the WHOIS information.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 10:59 AM

I asked that because I once used a wallpaper manager that the developer stopped maintaining and I switched to a different one that I still use. Maybe the developer has stopped maintaining the program and you may have no choice but to switch to something else. This is not as unusual as you might think. Some guys release programs and then forget about them.

#5 EvilTessmacher

EvilTessmacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:42 PM

Well, it's pretty obvious to me that the developer either doesn't ever check his email, or doesn't maintain the software any longer, since it's been a few months since I sent the two emails asking about it, but I have also noticed that the website has been updated a couple of times, new releases and add-ons have been added to the download page, and there are both dead links that are no longer dead, and new links that weren't dead that are now dead, since I started noticing problems. I've also noticed that the domain has been renewed since this all started, So, the developer is doing things, he's just not responding to emails.

Which is why I asked if anyone might have an idea how to fix the thing, since the developer isn't responding.

I had thought that was relatively unambiguous...

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 05:45 PM

So I went to the website and the product looks very old. And I did a Google search and there are alternatives. Check them out and see if you like them. Like I said before, I had a similar issue with a wallpaper manager and I decided to look for an alternative and I found a better product. So will you.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=3D+Solar+System+screensaver&oq=3D+Solar+System+screensaver&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.13911j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

#7 EvilTessmacher

EvilTessmacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:14 PM

Well, that's nice.

I'm not interested in any other screensavers. I'd like this one to work properly. 

So, rather than finding solutions to hundreds of other questions I didn't ask, would it be possible to address the one I did ask?

#8 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:46 PM

Hello ET!

Oh man...what you had found and used appears to be shut down?  When I read the page from your link, it appears that "Luke" created a personal project

and I think he had a really cool idea!

Unfortunate, his name brings up nothing; the website openuniverse.org appears to be up for sale.  Rats!

Luke created his project in 2002..by now he might work for Google..because see this! https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.intergrafx.igv5.solarfree

No doubt, my thoughts are not what you wish to read...bummer that life happens and products and companies close down.  

A couple of screen shots to validate my thoughts:

Capture_zpspm3p3sym.png

capture1_zpsblpyd8uz.png

May you find a solution! You never know, perhaps there is a BC member who can make it all better.

I wish I could make what you have come back to life!  Good luck ET.

#9 EvilTessmacher

EvilTessmacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:07 AM

Yeah, I agree...

It would be nice to get an actual answer to the actual question I asked.

#10 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 10:10 AM

Your question has been answered but you don't like the answer. The program you want to use is old, obsolete and the developer has abandoned it. It can't be fixed. The answer, which is reasonable, is there are alternatives available and you should use one of them. Stop repeating that you don't like that answer because that's it. It has been proven to you that the product you use is dead but you don't like that answer. So I'm finished with you if that's how you're going to behave. Now I fully expect a complaint rant that no one will help you. :hysterical:

#11 EvilTessmacher

EvilTessmacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 12:46 PM

Let's see....

I came in, asked a perfectly reasonable question.

You responded arrogantly, with everything but what I asked about, condescendingly implying that I'm too stupid to know what I'm doing.

I replied, rather politely I thought, by stating that my question had never been answered, and now somehow, I am the bad guy here?

Just exactly who the hell do you think you are?

You did everything but answer what I asked. Try that out in the real world sometime, skippy, and see how far it gets you. Try doing that to your boss when he or she asks you for a specific bit of information, and you reply with everything but what was asked, and then tell him or her that they're stupid for asking.

I don't know where you get off treating people like this, but you really need to take a pill...

Nothing like an answer to my question has ever been given. Nothing.

And I really don't care what you think about what I might say next, or whether or not you're "finished with me". You don't have a clue. You never, not once, ever addressed what I asked. You came in, beat around the bush with information I had already given, told me to do something I had already done, and then gave moronic responses to things I had never asked about.

Try taking a reading comprehension class sometime, bub...

#12 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 03:10 PM

When I first installed this screensaver (because someone left out the starfield one from W7) it worked perfectly. Came on when the computer was idle for the length of time I set it to be, every time. I could come back to the computer, and wiggle the mouse or touch the keyboard, and poof! it would go off, and the screen would come up. And then the screensaver would come back on its own, after that set length of time.

Not too long ago, I discovered suddenly that it had, apparently, stopped working properly. It simply would not start when I left the computer and came back after a length of time. Upon looking at the task manager, I discovered it appears to be running in the background, and when I would stop the process, it would come on as before, when the computer was idle for the set length of time. (Originally set for 6 minutes). It isn't working like it is supposed to.

I have reset the length of time in one minute increments from 1 minute up to 50 minutes (took me a couple of weeks) and the screensaver program will only come on when it isn't running in the task manager. In other words, I have to open the task manager, and stop the process manually before it will come back on automatically.

I will say at this point, that I do not know enough about computers to have any clue, any idea, or any knowledge of what I might do to try to fix this. I went so far as to email the author of the program, from whom I have never had a response. I even did a WHOIS to find an alternate email address, also without ever getting any response. The only thing I could think of to try was to uninstall it, do a registry repair and a defragmentation of the hard drive with Glary Utilities, reboot the computer, and reinstall the screensaver from a fresh download. No changes. The results are still the same. That means to me that there is something either in the screensaver, or the operating system that is different, preventing the screensaver from stopping when the computer becomes active, and forcing it to keep running in the background, until it is manually stopped through the task manager. I have absolutely no idea what to do, how to find a fix, or how to even start looking for a fix.

Can someone with some knowledge of Win7, and screensavers please try to walk me through solving this problem? It's as if the screensaver forgot how to tell itself to turn off, so that it can start again when the computer goes idle. A good deal of patience will be necessary, and every step in the process will need to be explained. (Try remembering what you were like when you knew nothing, and everyone talked to you as if you already knew what to do to solve things, and that's where I am. smile.gif)

I'm sort of frustrated by this, because it's now getting tedious to have to stop the process every time I get up from the computer, just to have the dang screensaver come on when I leave it for a while.

ET, by golly I must offer you an apology!  What a noob I was to not actually pay attention to the actual problem at hand!  In other words, your issue is not the actual screen saver program (old, dead, young or otherwise!)

When you have been in the control panel to adjust the screen saver timing, have by chance you selected a standard windows screen saver to see what the results are? Is the 3D Solar Screen Saver installed in add/remove programs?

With the post moved, no doubt you'll get attention!  Forgive me for wasting your time about the 3D Solar (it looked quite interesting so I'm no disappointed!)

#13 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:33 AM

Hello.   I was asked to take a look at your problem.  So (yes I did read your problem) and, if I understand correctly the screen saver Will work only if you stop the service.  Might I ask how you came up with that solution.  You talk as if your not computer literate but your savvy enough to know how to stop a service and how to find the owner of a website which just makes me go hmmmm.. to myself.

I'll first tell you that I don't use screen savers as they tend to use memory I'd rather not let them have that being said I know you'd like your product to 'work' so let's try a few things.

Start the windows screen saver.  Does that work with no problem?  If yes than we can move on to something else if no then there may be a problem with how windows is handling your screen saver problem.  When the problem started, did you download any other programs / firewalls/anti-virus/malware removal?  It is strange that stopping the service allows the program to run.  I am not going to install this program so what is the name of the service your stopping?  Is the service set to autostart or manual start?  Basically I want to first see if wndows' own screen saver will ' work ' as intended then move on.

#14 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:45 PM

So, rather than finding solutions to hundreds of other questions I didn't ask, would it be possible to address the one I did ask?

So I'm finished with you if that's how you're going to behave

I don't know where you get off treating people like this, but you really need to take a pill.

As my mother always said - 'Politeness costs nothing'. I would like the contributors to this thread to remember that or, as an alternative, view the forum rules.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users