Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Get Update To Build 10240

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 TOActor

TOActor

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 26 July 2015 - 05:49 PM

I have been an Insider since the beginning and have received all the updates during the past few months.  I'm currently stuck in build 10166 and Windows Update informs me that my device is current.  Checking for updates yields nothing new except that Defender is updated daily, sometimes more than once.  On the next page I see a "Fix Me" button, but when I click on that up comes a dialog asking if I want to discontinue future builds.  Nothing else happens.

I ran the update troubleshooter, which reports: "Problems found: Service registration is missing or corrupt.  Not fixed".  I don't know if this is the cause of my problem, nor do I know how to repair the service registration.  I'd appreciate any help as I suspect this will impair my upgrade to the final Windows 10 build on Wednesday.  Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 26 July 2015 - 06:06 PM

What is the latest build you have, which has a full iso?  Sounds like you need to reinstall it, but I don't know if that will work now.  My latest full iso is 10162, and when I installed it, then came 10166 as download, and on the day of the 10240 release, I got it in Updates.

Do you have any important files on it, or was this just a tester?  Obviously you'd need to backup first, else.

If all else fails, use one of your eligible licenses to download and get Win10.  It should self-activate when you do.

Edited by brainout, 26 July 2015 - 06:07 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#3 TOActor

TOActor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 06:37 PM

Hello, brainout.  As I stated, I am stuck in build 10166, the one before 10240.  I don't have a Windows 10 ISO; as I recall, I downloaded and installed build 10041 last March into a new partition I had prepared on an internal hard drive.  There is nothing important in this partition as all of my data is stored elsewhere. 

I'm not sure I understand your suggestion about downloading Windows 10.  How do I do that?

#4 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 07:00 PM

Well, for a limited period an Insider could keep revisiting the Insider page and download the latest iso.  But now it's closed.  I have the 10162 64-bit iso, and I can upload it to my domain, but is that legal?  If legal, I'll do it for you and you can start over.  So, hopefully someone reading this post can weigh in on whether it's legal.

ANOTHER THOUGHT:  you can roll back to a previous build.  Then if you do, maybe you'll get the update?  Could just be a corruption in your current 10166, so maybe you can roll back to 10162?  In which case, then you'd not need to worry about getting an iso.

Edited by brainout, 26 July 2015 - 07:02 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#5 TOActor

TOActor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 07:12 PM

Interesting. I'll look into how to roll back and see if it's something I want to do.  I'm not sure that's possible as the only rollbacks I've heard about were from 10 to 8.1 or 7.

I don't think it would be legal for me to use your ISO, but I appreciate the offer.

#6 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 02:47 AM

It's not a rollback of OS version, but an option to rollback to a 'previous build'.  DANG I shut off my Win10 just before coming here, for I just woke up.  Will edit this post with the steps after I reboot that machine.

EDIT: first look at this article.  It has some fixes.

Then, go to Control Panel, again select Troubleshooting then Windows Update.  Be connected to the internet when you do this (were you connected before?).  It runs a diagnostic and when I did it, even though I get the updates fine, it said there was an error it fixed (in gibberish, I don't understand what the problem was).  Takes maybe five minutes.  Then wait a bit, then query for updates, see if your 10240 comes.

If not, then try these steps...

Notification icon, All Settings.

Then, at very lower left, 'Update and Security'.

Then, at left see Recovery, which lets you "Go back to an earlier build."

OR, top left, 'Windows Update.' 

Then 'Advanced Options'.

Then, 'View Your Update History'

Then, second in the list, 'uninstall latest preview build'.

Now, I'm hoping that after uninstall, your rolled-back build will result in being prompted with the next build; which, maybe is now 10240, rather than 10166.

The whole menu structure is so off-putting with just a few options each time, forcing you to use page after page in an unintuitive manner.  Whoever designed it, should be fired.  Yesterday.  I understand they're trying to simplify, but it's actually simpler if they had a one-page Table of Contents, linked.  Then in group policy, the admin could choose which options won't show up, or at least which should be greyed out.

Edited by brainout, 27 July 2015 - 04:07 AM.

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,822 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 02:54 PM

Of course you could make your own ISO;

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2570-esd-iso-create-bootable-iso-windows-10-esd-file.html

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#8 cj2

cj2

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 03:35 PM

You can go to this web site and download a ISO copy for  10240  -- getintopc.com

#9 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 03:45 PM

Click here for the search link in getintopc.com .  But is it legal?  What about malware and other stuff? Doesn't look like a site affiliated with MSFT.

Edited by brainout, 27 July 2015 - 03:51 PM.

#10 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,822 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2015 - 08:16 AM

There are quite a few sites that have the ISO right now for build 10240, but I wouldn't trust any of them.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#11 malynensi

malynensi

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:53 AM

Try using vpn to make you connected to the internet in a more faster and safe way. That's what I do.

#12 brandon.pry

brandon.pry

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 11:42 AM

From what I've been reading and seeing on my own Surface that is currently stuck on 10064, if you didn't upgrade to 10240 in a timely manor you may be out of luck. Possibly you will get the upgrade to final but I'm not sure

#13 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 11:56 AM

Interesting. I'll look into how to roll back and see if it's something I want to do.  I'm not sure that's possible as the only rollbacks I've heard about were from 10 to 8.1 or 7.

I don't think it would be legal for me to use your ISO, but I appreciate the offer.

I have the ISO for 10240.  There are no legalities involved as the Preview Builds use a Universal Key.  OR now that 29/7 has arrived you could forget about Preview Builds & go w/ the GA of Win10 which was released today.

Edited by Drew1903, 29 July 2015 - 12:00 PM.

#14 TOActor

TOActor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 03:31 AM

Thanks, Drew.  That's exactly what I did, but not without problems.  Working in Build 10166, the Download Tool would go through its paces for about 18 minutes, then just disappear.  I tried it several times.  Then I tried to download the ISO and the same thing happened.  I rebooted the computer into Windows 7 and downloaded the ISO from there, burned the DVD, went back into Windows 10 10166 and ran the setup disc from there.  I'm now finally using Build 10240, the RTM.  Thanks to everyone who offered helpful suggestions.

#15 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2015 - 11:37 AM

Thanks, Drew.  That's exactly what I did, but not without problems.  Working in Build 10166, the Download Tool would go through its paces for about 18 minutes, then just disappear.  I tried it several times.  Then I tried to download the ISO and the same thing happened.  I rebooted the computer into Windows 7 and downloaded the ISO from there, burned the DVD, went back into Windows 10 10166 and ran the setup disc from there.  I'm now finally using Build 10240, the RTM.  Thanks to everyone who offered helpful suggestions.

You're welcome and that's good news.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users