Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

downloadng the iso

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:00 AM

Bare with me...  I think I know most of the answers to my own questions here but, I always like to get advice from people if I'm not 100% certain...  double checking you know.  :)

I have windows 7.1... and I had to change my windows update settings so that the recommended updates showed up the same way the important ones did... in order to get that 'get windows ten' button would show up.  I found that a little annoying as I preferred to keep JUST the important updates showing... but, oh well. 

IF I'm not mistaken, when I "reserve" my copy, I'll be given the choice to download an ISO file??????

Since I can't afford a new computer any time soon, I'm upgrading my memory and the hdd(there's only like 100gb free on my 500gb, going with a 1TB).
So, my plan is to install windows 10 fresh on a  new drive...  My paranoia or over cautiousness makes me want to be 100% certain that simply installing it fresh wont be an issue.  I can't help but wonder about installing it that way verses the "upgrade." 
With the upgrade, all my information is already in my computer, they know it's a legit license, etc...
Installing it from the ISO directly... fresh... 
I'm guessing I'd then have to put in my windows 7 license during the installation?  I think that my paranoia is telling me that might cause issues... somehow.
So...  I wanted some thoughts on it.
Installing fresh sounds like the best idea to me... especially since I plan on installing a new hdd.

Next concern/question...  I'm really good at figuring things out as I go...  and, I've formatted drives before... done SOME partitioning, etc etc...  but I want to have everything certain long before I start the install this time. 
Putting in the new hdd...  I'm not thinking I'll need to do much partitioning.  I don't plan on having separate space for the OS and other things... 
I guess I'd just like some thoughts on what I NEED to do and/or what I SHOULD do.

Basically... I think I can manage all of this really... 
BUT...  I'd rather have a few people tell me I can do it or things I might not be thinking about now rather than find myself stuck later on with a blank hard drive where I'd need to get on another computer to come in and ask for help...  if that makes sense.  :)

I'm a little excited about windows 10.  I'm glad I don't have to go through windows 8 on my own computer... we have it on a few others.  I'm not happy about losing windows media center as I use that a LOT for watching tv through my tv tuner... but, there are other programs out there I can use... I'm sure.
I'm partly excited about some of the games that you can get for free that you cannot get with win 7 and earlier...  that's trivial really but...

Anyway...  any thoughts you might have will be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,317 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:19 AM

You should run the Windows 8.1 Upgrade advisor first. Upgrade to Windows 8.1 from Windows 7 - Windows Help

I hope I'm wrong about this or there is a way to do what you want without purchasing 10. From what I understand it is a FREE upgrade that is being offered....not a FREE fresh install.

You can, if I'm right, clone what you have now to the new drive before upgrading to 10.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 649 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:25 AM

As far as I know, the ISO file is an option... I've read it in several places.  But, you think that would still just be an upgrade?  Kind of like having a service pack on a disc?

This is exactly why I ask these questions.  :)
IF that's the case, rather than cloning(something I've never done, and not sure I'd want to) I do have an image of my windows 7 installation from way back when I set this machine up.  I can simply install that on the new hdd before upgrading.

There's a LOT of clutter on my current drive that I'd rather not move/copy.  I plan on using my current drive as a slave for a while so I can move pictures and things later on...
I feel that IF I could install fresh, the computer would be running smoother.

#4 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 649 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:33 AM

You should run the Windows 8.1 Upgrade advisor first. Upgrade to Windows 8.1 from Windows 7 - Windows Help

The get windows 10 thing tells me that my system can run it.  Would you still advise running that upgrade assistant?

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,816 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:37 AM

I'm in the insider program and I am part of the Windows Ten group, and nobody knows when the ISO will be released. We hope soon. Once it is released, you can use it to clean install OVER an existing copy of Windows 10 without license problems. Other than that, you might want to buy yourself a new OEM copy of Windows 10.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,317 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:47 AM

The get windows 10 thing tells me that my system can run it.  Would you still advise running that upgrade assistant?

It will tell you what software you have installed now is compatible or not as well as your hardware.

I looked a bit to find out if I am right about whether you can use a new hdd and get a FREE install of 10.

It appears to me reading at  Windows 10 can be clean installed during and after free upgrade

that it is an upgrade and the installer will need to read your key before attempting the install...just like other upgrades. Though at that point you can choose to upgrade or allow

the installer to wipe the drive and do a fresh install of 10.

QUOTE a bit:

On 29 July users of Windows 7 and 8.1 will be offered the Windows 10 upgrade through Windows Update much in the same way it has worked for Windows Insider builds.

For those who use the Get Windows App and reserve their copy of Windows 10 it will be downloaded to your system ahead of time to speed up your upgrade process on release day.

Microsoft has told me that this upgrade will work very similar to the way it did for Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 and they sent me to this page which has a tutorial for that process. That process did include the ability to either retain your files or wipe everything off the system for a clean install.

However, the official response from a Microsoft spokesperson when it comes to Windows 10 is “We look forward to sharing more details about how the upgrade will be offered at a later date.” .

Some of those details were released earlier this week when Microsoft confirmed that Windows 10 would be available on 29 July 2015 and that is when the questions and speculation kicks into overdrive.

There are still more details that need to be laid out for this upgrade process including licensing and the availability of ISO's for later use. In the interim Gabe Aul, our intrepid Ring Master, is trying to answer some of these concerns on Twitter as questions are sent his way.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 649 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:56 AM

Though at that point you can choose to upgrade or allow

the installer to wipe the drive and do a fresh install of 10.

Okay... that makes sense. 
I think I will just install windows 7 on the new hdd and then give that a try... either way would be better than upgrading directly from my current hdd.
I have an ISO of my computer from a few years back... but I also have windows 7 on a flash drive somewhere.  The ISO has other programs on it including the Dell Dock that came with this computer but that's hardly necessary.  I think I may just do the bare minimum, windows 7 install and then go through the upgrade process.

I need to go order that hdd.  :)

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,816 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:57 AM

And one other very important point. To the OP, you state that you have one image of your Windows 7 drive that you made "way back when." You know it only takes a few minutes to make another image which is up to date. This new image might come in handy. Since Microsoft will NOT let you do a clean install of Windows 10 from an ISO over an existing copy of Windows 7, this additional image might save the day in case of mishap. 

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,317 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:58 AM

That sounds perfectly logical to me and would remove any doubt....using your image of 7 on the new hdd.

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,317 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 12:00 PM

And one other very important point. To the OP, you state that you have one image of your Windows 7 drive that you made "way back when." You know it only takes a few minutes to make another image which is up to date. This new image might come in handy. Since Microsoft will NOT let you do a clean install of Windows 10 from an ISO over an existing copy of Windows 7, this additional image might save the day in case of mishap. 

Millipede will have a complete copy....the old hdd that is untouched. :)

#11 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,816 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 01:12 PM

Millipede will have a complete copy....the old hdd that is untouched. :)

But he can't legally use the ISO then.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#12 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,816 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 03:03 PM

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/does-user-agreement-permit-having-2-hard-drives/2e75d10c-4cbe-4a6a-877e-e633ce6f1a72?auth=1

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#13 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 649 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 03:38 PM

Thanks Rocky, that is important to note.  However, I'm not sure you're following the conversation completely.  (or maybe I'm not...)

This new image might come in handy. Since Microsoft will NOT let you do a clean install of Windows 10 from an ISO over an existing copy of Windows 7, this additional image might save the day in case of mishap.

Millipede will have a complete copy....the old hdd that is untouched.

Basically, my old hdd will be the just in case backup... though, my old image will work just fine as will my flash drive with win7 on it.  I have absolutely no worries about losing windows all together at some point during this process...

But to be clear...  This is what I intend to do.
Install the new hdd(which I still haven't ordered...)
Install windows 7 fresh on the new hdd and then make sure it's all up to date(I assume I'll have to do that to even get the prompt for windows 10)
Then install windows 10(or "upgrade" it) on that new hdd replacing the windows 7 on it.

Technically, I'll still have windows 7 on my old hdd... but, it will not be used and will not be running.  My PLAN is to set that hdd up as a slave in order to move files around...  That is unless I manage to backup everything before the transition to the new hdd.
In any case, I wont be breaking any laws because I wont be running two different OS's on the same computer.
That copy on the old hdd could be considered a just in case... in case something catastrophic happens during the install of win 10.  I see it no differently than having and using a win 7 image if I got stuck.

Whether it is before or after windows 10 is fully installed and functional...  win 7 will be removed from the old hdd.  I have no intentions of keeping both, legal or not. 
I hope what I plan on doing makes sense.

Edited by millipede, 26 July 2015 - 03:38 PM.

#14 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,816 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 03:52 PM

If I understand your train of thought completely, what you describe sounds legal. At the end you will only have one hard drive with an OS running on it, which will be Windows 10. You will not have any copies at all of Windows 7. Hence my original suggestion of making a new system image of your current set up, just in case anything goes wrong.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#15 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,816 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 03:53 PM

In post #10, buddy215 had the idea that you were going to keep a hard drive with Windows 7 on it. Whether that hard drive is hooked up to a computer or not, that would be illegal. 

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users