Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Netgear questions.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lycogan56

lycogan56

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:53 AM

Hi, we have a Netgear N750 wireless router we call it our WiFi. We added an extender upstairs. We were using an undefined network until recently thinking the unidentified was the extender. For some reason we lost the undefined and now have a new network selection on our iPads called Netgear 57-ext. We need a password and login to get in to the Netgear57 -ext . I am not sure what happened but is there a way to manage our Netgear? Can we login to the router? Every new to networking. For the most part I thought plug and play was how the Netgear worked. Thanks for any help.

Ben

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 02:59 PM

They are plug and play, but if you want them to be secure you have to do a little setup. I would do it with a wired computer not on wireless. Do you have a computer you can plug into it wired?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 lycogan56

lycogan56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 06:19 PM

I have one computer on a hard wire.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:07 PM

I am sorry, I should have asked this before, but what is the model of the extender? Is it wired or does it connect wireless to the main router? Who set this all up for you? or did you just plug it in and connected? what do you enter to get connected to the main router?

I am working on a response to your question. There will be a few steps but I am trying to make it as easy as 1 2 3 and you'll be up and running in no time. =)

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 lycogan56

lycogan56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 03:57 PM

1.)  I will have to get you the model # of the extender when I get home.  I won't be home until about 8 pm tonight.  The specifics will have to wait, but in general we just plugged the extender into an electrical outlet in our living room.  I think that was it.  I am not familiar at all with the extender.  I will do my best research.

2.) My brother in law did some work and some tech support guys at work logged in remotely to help once..   I have to login to my work computer through our Netgear N750 and do a remote desktop connection.  I had to change the Netgear IP address because I have a work application on my desktop that requires it not to match the work server IP address.  I think that is all we did to the router so far.  The tech guys at work helped me with that.  When we change the IP address we just changed one number via the Netgear N750 program?  It didn't seem like a big deal at the time. 

3.)  I thought it was all plug and play.  I think the main router broadcast a signal when we turned it on.  As far as I know all we did was enter in the password that came with the main router. 

#6 lycogan56

lycogan56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 07:16 PM

The extender appears to be the WN1000RP model. The extender is Netgear just like the main router. We tossed out the manual, so the model info I got off the Netgear website.

#7 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 01:40 PM

Download and review the extenders manual.  You have to logon to it, best to set a static ip for it, configure the wireless wpa2 password and SSID then connect using WPS [you push the wps button on your main router and then enter the wps mode as outlined in the manual].

I usually do this with the extender and router both nearby then move the extender to a location halfway between the location you want to extend the wifi signal into.

You DO NOT want to put the extender in the room that can't be reached by the existing wifi signal.  You can't repeat a weak signal.  You can only repeat a strong one.

Edited by Wand3r3r, 28 July 2015 - 01:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users