Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ultra-wide screen on 16:9 possible?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 game of thrones

game of thrones

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:22 AM

Hi Everybody,

I love using two screens but with a laptop it's not very practical as you carry it around and sometimes you hold it in different positions.

Toshiba had a line of ultra-wide laptops that seem to have been discontinued because they didn't catch on. (check them out on google)

It would be great if such devices were more popular.

I wanted to ask if you knew any way of turning my 16:9, 17'' screen into a ultra-wide screen. It seems like no-one is interested in such a thing and there just isn't much info on the web.

For example, I was hoping there would be a way of adding black bars to the top and bottom of my screen to make it ultra-wide. 

I find that when I have two chrome windows open, I always use the horizontal scroller, which means I'm in need of more real estate. A great solution for me would be to make all items on my computer smaller but at least for windows 7 100% seems to be the smallest and you can only make items bigger.

Even if I could somehow add black-bars. Windows is always the same size in any resolution and screen size. (For example, the taskbar height is always the same no matter what device you're using, and of course the width is different depending on the size of your screen, if you know what I mean). I was wondering if there was a way to make windows smaller in scale, in which case there would be no need for me to make my screen wider.

I wouldn't mind if everything was smaller.

I'm sorry I'm not very knowledgeable in this aspect of technology. I hope you understand what I'm talking about.

Another idea that came to mind was from the fact that I had actually seen windows 7 scaled down in size. For example, I'm not sure about the specifics of how it's done but I have seen on youtube that people have run windows 7 on smartphones (modding and hacking, which I want to avoid). If only I could make everything on my screen smaller like that and increase my virtual real estate... 

Hope someone more knowledgeable can provide some insight. Thanks!!!

Edited by hamluis, 26 July 2015 - 01:49 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:26 PM

Basically the answer is not with an LCD panel.  LCD panels have a native resolution where one dot (pixel) to be displayed is represented by one dot on the screen.  Any resolution other than the native resolution degrade the image as the screen now has to either try and show more dots than it is capable or less by combining multiple pixels to represent one.

With a CRT monitor you could do it, but CRTs aren't very portable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users