Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading PC

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Josh5

Josh5

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:10 AM

So this is something I don't really have a great deal of knowledge about, I know I need to upgrade my Mobo and CPU because they're around 10 years old and completely out of date, and the Mobo actually has quite a few problems too.

Mobo:

Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Model GA-770TA-UD3 (Socket M2)

CPU: 

AMD Phenom II X4 965
Deneb 45nm Technology

GPU (updated):

W2254 (1680x1050@60Hz)
2048MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner)

so i'm looking for advice in regards to how to upgrade, I want something that's of a similar level to the GPU and is going to support all forms of games etc. Any help is appreciated.

I hope that quick copy paste of the components details is enough for you to know exactly what i'm running on my pc, if not then let me know.

Thanks!

Edited by hamluis, 26 July 2015 - 05:49 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to System Building - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 PeterMayson

PeterMayson

• Banned Spammer
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:00 AM

Upgrade of Mobo and CPU isn't enough. You will need to upgrade your RAM also and probably PSU, HDD (without of complete spec of your current hardware it's impossible to know).

For the new hardware I'd suggest to use Intel CPU rather than AMD.

More suggestions will come after you post your PC specs using the Speccy app ( https://www.piriform.com/speccy )

Edited by PeterMayson, 26 July 2015 - 10:00 AM.

#3 Josh5

Josh5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:12 AM

HDD is also updated recently, here's a link to it all

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/FzANPd4kze5lJWEYkCnzd6S

a lot of clutter on there but there doesn't seem to be a way to crop it out.

edit: and ram is also recently updated (hopefully I can find a mobo that will be compatible with what I have and I won't have to buy more).

Edited by hamluis, 26 July 2015 - 05:48 PM.

#4 PeterMayson

PeterMayson

• Banned Spammer
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:12 AM

You were mentioned that your MB is around 10 years old. But actually it's much younger (5-6 yo) as it has DDR3 RAM.

Then upgrade CPU and MB would be enough. I hope your PSU is good enough as well to handle with the new hardware.

#5 Josh5

Josh5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:19 AM

Would you personally recommend an upgrade now you've seen what i'm running, and if so how much would I be looking at to really notice a decent difference in performance?

Also I seem to have quite a few mobo related issues, once it was a display issue and have often had a problem with just all the connectors at the back so for example the internet will fail because my usb internet stick is connected at the back and also my keyboard flashes where it's disconnected and reconnecting.

Edited by hamluis, 26 July 2015 - 05:49 PM.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:12 AM

You can use AMD with games if you wish, however, your motherboard is an older socket AM3, not the current AM3+, which will limit you in terms of upgrades.  If you are gaming, you will want your GPU to be the main focus of your upgrades, but you should update your motherboard and CPU regardless.

What are you looking to spend and what level of graphics are you aiming for with this upgrade?

3939.png

#7 Josh5

Josh5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:43 AM

You can use AMD with games if you wish, however, your motherboard is an older socket AM3, not the current AM3+, which will limit you in terms of upgrades.  If you are gaming, you will want your GPU to be the main focus of your upgrades, but you should update your motherboard and CPU regardless.

What are you looking to spend and what level of graphics are you aiming for with this upgrade?

So 'you can use amd with games' do you mean it isn't ideal? Okay well the graphics card should be decent it's a more recent update and I believe it's the 2GB Sapphire R9 270X, not sure what you think of this? Also I don't have a specific budget in mind for the rest of the kit (cpu, mobo and possibly psu) thanks!

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 08:09 AM

It doesn't matter which CPU brand you use, Intel and AMD do the same thing with x86 and x86-64 processing.  Due to the design of AMD CPU's, they tend to be a bit less powerful than Intel's offerings.  Currently, they perform at about the level of an upper-mid to high-end i5 depending on the workload.  For gamers, this is sufficient unless they are doing a number of things in the background while they game.

For graphics cards, I would consider the GTX 960 as it is a little bit more powerful than a R9 270X.  Here is a 960:  EVGA 02G-P4-2962-KR GeForce GTX 960 Superclocked 2GB.  The 960 tends to be a little more expensive than a 270X, but they hover near each other in terms of price.

For a budget, I'm assuming you can reuse the RAM, optical drive, hard drives, and case.  For a high-end AMD processor, budget about $180, a good PSU would be about $80, a GTX 960 would be $180 as well, an AMD 970-based motherboard (You don't need a 990FX unless you are planning on using multiple GPU's) is about $100, and a copy of Windows is also $100.  I would aim my budget for $650 to $700.

3939.png

#9 Josh5

Josh5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 01:17 PM

It doesn't matter which CPU brand you use, Intel and AMD do the same thing with x86 and x86-64 processing.  Due to the design of AMD CPU's, they tend to be a bit less powerful than Intel's offerings.  Currently, they perform at about the level of an upper-mid to high-end i5 depending on the workload.  For gamers, this is sufficient unless they are doing a number of things in the background while they game.

For graphics cards, I would consider the GTX 960 as it is a little bit more powerful than a R9 270X.  Here is a 960:  EVGA 02G-P4-2962-KR GeForce GTX 960 Superclocked 2GB.  The 960 tends to be a little more expensive than a 270X, but they hover near each other in terms of price.

For a budget, I'm assuming you can reuse the RAM, optical drive, hard drives, and case.  For a high-end AMD processor, budget about $180, a good PSU would be about $80, a GTX 960 would be $180 as well, an AMD 970-based motherboard (You don't need a 990FX unless you are planning on using multiple GPU's) is about $100, and a copy of Windows is also $100.  I would aim my budget for $650 to $700.

Okay good because the AMD prices seemed to be comparatively lower, I wouldn't want to spend money on a new GPU I would be happy to keep mine I know it's a decent one and less than a year old, would also like to keep my RAM but it's just finding a mobo and cpu that are compatible with both and will be on the same sort of level as the gpu is, also is it worth getting windows 10 for free with a new system, i'm not sure how it works or if it's just free temporarily then really expensive or something? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users