Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how can we stop microsoft from changeing your harddrive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lewis12398

lewis12398

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 26 July 2015 - 08:47 AM

It seems to me that if you go online microsoft is going to try to read your harddrive wheather it is microsoft or some other OS. how can we keep what we keep what we have until we have a good look at windows10

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:12 AM

Inside my computer I have little wires that connect things to each other. I can actually disconnect a hard drive anytime I want.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,859 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:32 AM

Have you heard of...backing up...cloning your current O/S to another hard drive...or simply using an additional hard drive or partition...for dual/multi-booting?

Google will provide you with much information on each of those areas.

Louis

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 26 July 2015 - 01:19 PM

Exactly, Louis is absolutely correct. Make a system image before going into untested waters.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 26 July 2015 - 01:22 PM

Rocky Bennett:"Make a system image before going into untested waters"

VERY wise advice, and apply it to all and any untested waters, not just those relating to windows upgrades. For extra safety make two system images, just in case of the very unlikely event of the external storage device on which one of them is held somehow is damaged, then you have a second copy of the system image on a second external device. Also consider making some system images with windows' internal tool, and then some with third party tools (macrium for example).

Edited by rp88, 26 July 2015 - 01:24 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 26 July 2015 - 02:58 PM

lewis, they can't force you to accept Windows 10.  The advice above about backing up/cloning/imaging is all true, but if you never accept 'Get Windows 10', then it won't be a problem.  So if you want Windows 10, do what you were just advised to do, backup/image/clone your hard drive first.  I also prefer to make a separate partition just as hamluis advised, and only 'Custom Install' (one of the options you're given at installation) to that separate partition (100 GB or more, Win10 needs a lot of space to do its new stuff, like Hyper-V).

In fact, here's what I plan to do over the next year IF I get more than the one Win10:

1.  Clone all my hard drives (important to do anyway, just as rp88 told you);

2.  Clone the clone to another internal hard drive, or do that as Step #1 using Plugable;

3.  Replace the internal hard drive with the clone, and THEN partition and install Win10.

This way, the original hard drive remains protected.  If and when I decide against Win10, I just reinsert the original drive.  Because, uninstall of Win10 is only possible until the first update.  After the update, the uninstall won't work anymore, as the uninstall only 'looks at' the original installation files.  So reinserting the original drive will be my only option, at which point I'd need to wipe the clone (reformat the entire drive, not just the Win10 partition).

Edited by brainout, 26 July 2015 - 03:05 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#7 Blnd_E

Blnd_E

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 26 July 2015 - 05:32 PM

In preparing for this transition to Windows X, can you make a clone for backup of all computers to one large xHD? Such as, using DriveImageXML?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users