Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help reinstalling Windows 7 Pro / factory reset

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ReusableVortex

ReusableVortex

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 26 July 2015 - 08:20 AM

My Navy father is shipping back out to Kuwait in a few weeks and a friend gave him a laptop to take overseas. It seems to be plagued with viruses. Google redirects, fake antivirus popups, etc have made this computer nearly unusable. We have tried everything and thought the issues were fixed but they keep coming back. At this point we are at our wits end and just need to wipe the bleeping thing.

Please forgive my noobishness, but I am an amateur when it comes to this stuff and my dad has no one else to help him with this stuff. We need to reinstall windows 7 pro but we do not have any discs and there seems to be no option to completely wipe this thing like i can with my desktop, which apparently has windows 7 formatted to the HDD permanently.

The computer is an HP Elitebook 8560w. As I said we do not have the install discs for windows. Will it be necessary to obtain some discs or is there anything else I can do to completely wipe everything and start from scratch? There is nothing that needs to be backed up. Any help would be most appreciated as my dad would love to be able to use this machine to Skype with his family back home. Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:48 AM

A factory reset does the job, see http://www.manualslib.com/manual/667014/Hp-Elitebook-8560w.html?page=131 .

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 26 July 2015 - 12:53 PM.

#3 ReusableVortex

ReusableVortex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:53 AM

Thank you. I will try that now. I was under the impression that I would need the windows install discs to do this. Sorry for my lack of knowledge.

#4 ReusableVortex

ReusableVortex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:02 AM

I saved changes and it doesn't seem to have factory rest as in wiping it clean. All my programs are still installed. And the virus programs that load popups on startup are definitely still present.

Edited by ReusableVortex, 26 July 2015 - 10:05 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:27 AM

You followed the prescribed procedure exactly as stated?

Louis

#6 ReusableVortex

ReusableVortex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 12:39 PM

Yes.And nothing changed at all.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 12:55 PM

Then...without an install DVD...you cannot reinstall Win 7...unless you contact the system manufacturer and obtain recovery/restore disks that will accomplish the factory reset.

Louis

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 01:24 PM

That page was for resetting the factory settings of BIOS and not the OS. When you go to Disk Managment is there a partition labeled recovery?

Computer > Manage > Disk Management

Edit: If you see a recovery partition tap F11 at boot and you should get the Recovery Manager.

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 July 2015 - 01:26 PM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 01:35 PM

Thanks, John :)!

Louis

#10 ReusableVortex

ReusableVortex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 02:16 PM

Actually the recovery manager was the first thing I tried. It only allows me to restore settings to an earlier point, of which there is only one available (just a few days ago). Not really an option seeing as how it was infected then as well. Its starting to sound like I will need to buy some install discs for windows.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 02:24 PM

Did you get to the Recovery manager by tapping F11 at boot? Do you see the recovery partition in Disk Management?

See this page. Look for Recovery when unable to boot.

#12 ReusableVortex

ReusableVortex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 02:38 PM

I couldnt find Manage > Disk Management under Computer. I open up Computer and my options are C > program files, perf log, users, windows, etc. I opened my recovery tool through control panel > all control panel items > recovery and from there I opened System Restore. I'm fairly confident I do not have a recovery partition at this point.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 02:47 PM

Click the Windows Globe. Right Click Computer. There should be a listing called manage. From there you can select Disk Management. It is under Storage.

Another way to get to it.

Control Panel\System and Security\Administrative Tools  and then select Computer Management  Edit: You may have to right click Computer Management and select Run As Administrator.

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 July 2015 - 02:52 PM.

#14 ReusableVortex

ReusableVortex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 02:52 PM

Oh OK. Under Storage > Disk Management, I have two options. (C:) and System Reserved.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 02:59 PM

If all you have is C: and System Reserved then you have no Recovery Partition which is surprising considering it's an HP. You will need to purchase a set of disks from HP. 

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07143#AbT2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users